Bracken County cancels all away sporting events with Augusta and St. Patrick

Good for Bracken. They've been the beneficiaries of not seeding before, even though they wanted to, so the argument that its ok to draw because "Augusta didnt care to seed during their run and did fine" is hogwash.....Augusta knew that the run wouldn't last forever.

1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 is the best way to get a more competitive regional tournament.

I am sure people loved to sit through GRC's 78-14 nailbiter over St Pat in the girls 10th regional tournament this year, while a good Bracken girls team was on the sidelines. And, I bet 10th region baseball fans cant wait for a possible GRC or Harrison Co or Campbell Co 10th region baseball first round showdown against a 3-win St Pat team (with all three wins coming over winless Augusta). I mean, would St Pat's team even look forward to that? Augusta and St Pat's baseball teams are a combined 1-15, with 14 losses coming by double digits, the only one that wasn't was a St Pat forfeit against Bracken.

So, why does the state mandate the District Winner/District Runner-up matchups with same district reps in opposite brackets in regional tournaments, but dont mandate a consistent seeding format in the district tournaments? Then again, this is a state where the powers that be think that its a good thing for an 0-10 team to have the "post-season" experience of traveling 5 hours and losing 55-10.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure your suggestion is consistent with the facts. Augusta has played in 5 straight 10th Region tournaments, and made it to the championship game this past year. The last time Bracken County played in the 10th Region tournament they lost in the first round by 44 points (2014).
Ok but that Augusta team was an outlier. It will NEVER happen again. It's back to reality where St Pat and Augusta will be perennial contenders for what's supposed to be the 3 and 4 seed every year.

I am sure people loved to sit through GRC's 78-14 nailbiter over St Pat in the girls 10th regional tournament this year, while a good Bracken girls team was on the sidelines

I have to tell you, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see if St Pat would score double digits! What a great "experience" for those girls!

The only thing Bracken is afraid of is watching the faces of the poor fans who have to see Augusta/St Pat get embarrassed in the region. It appears Augusta and St Pat are truly the afraid ones because they are still going with the draw.

Sorry Woodstock, that was a weak post and adds little validity to the situation at hand. And I am a 100% supporter of seeding.

and yet the state tournament is a blind draw, go figure.

Seeding makes the most sense for district because all the teams play each other. You can't fairly seed the state tournament because not all of the teams play each other and there is so much disparity from region to region that teams appear much better on paper than they really are. Not to mention that the draw has to take place before the participants are decided so everyone has adequate time to plan if they make it.

Sorry Woodstock, that was a weak post and adds little validity to the situation at hand. And I am a 100% supporter of seeding.

I agree that post was a bit far. The point was that it was stated Bracken was "afraid" to play Mason County. When in fact Augusta and St Pat are the ones truly "afraid" of seeding because they will hardly ever see their precious money from the regional tournament.

The Entitled Generation continues to keep whining, but it's not the kids who are crying—it's the adults who can't keep their grimy hands off sports. The players could care less about seeding, who they play, or any other political, agenda-driven cause that coaches, athletic directors, and principals use for their own self-preservation. That's all this is about. It is not what's best for the kids, like just letting them play sports without a lot of adult-driven drama.

Who cares if a team is seeded? If you plan on winning any championship worth its salt, you're gonna have to beat great teams along the way. These small-school advocates are coaches and administrators who just try to further their own chances for success, not the kids.

Shame on Bracken County and its so-called leaders. And I'm not pro or con toward seeding. If it's basketball, you only need five players on the court, and only two have to be really good if your goal is a regional title. Seen it many times from small and big schools. Enrollment isn't the reason you win or lose in basketball. Neither is seeding. It's just another excuse from agenda-driven adults. You don't hear the kids whining about it.

Good for Bracken. They've been the beneficiaries of not seeding before, even though they wanted to, so the argument that its ok to draw because "Augusta didnt care to seed during their run and did fine" is hogwash.....Augusta knew that the run wouldn't last forever.

1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 is the best way to get a more competitive regional tournament.

I am sure people loved to sit through GRC's 78-14 nailbiter over St Pat in the girls 10th regional tournament this year, while a good Bracken girls team was on the sidelines. And, I bet 10th region baseball fans cant wait for a possible GRC or Harrison Co or Campbell Co 10th region baseball first round showdown against a 3-win St Pat team (with all three wins coming over winless Augusta). I mean, would St Pat's team even look forward to that? Augusta and St Pat's baseball teams are a combined 1-15, with 14 losses coming by double digits, the only one that wasn't was a St Pat forfeit against Bracken.

So, why does the state mandate the District Winner/District Runner-up matchups with same district reps in opposite brackets in regional tournaments, but dont mandate a consistent seeding format in the district tournaments? Then again, this is a state where the powers that be think that its a good thing for an 0-10 team to have the "post-season" experience of traveling 5 hours and losing 55-10.

Good point. May as well blind draw football too since in order to be the best you have to beat the best anyways.

The Entitled Generation continues to keep whining, but it's not the kids who are crying—it's the adults who can't keep their grimy hands off sports. The players could care less about seeding, who they play, or any other political, agenda-driven cause that coaches, athletic directors, and principals use for their own self-preservation. That's all this is about. It is not what's best for the kids, like just letting them play sports without a lot of adult-driven drama.

Who cares if a team is seeded? If you plan on winning any championship worth its salt, you're gonna have to beat great teams along the way. These small-school advocates are coaches and administrators who just try to further their own chances for success, not the kids.

Shame on Bracken County and its so-called leaders. And I'm not pro or con toward seeding. If it's basketball, you only need five players on the court, and only two have to be really good if your goal is a regional title. Seen it many times from small and big schools. Enrollment isn't the reason you win or lose in basketball. Neither is seeding. It's just another excuse from agenda-driven adults. You don't hear the kids whining about it.

I don't hear kids whining about transfers either.

Sometimes in life you have to do unpopular things while searching for the results that you seek. You can teach kids to go after what they want in life or you can teach kids to sit back and suck it up because life isn't fair sometimes.

I've never succumbed to the line of thinking that just because it has been done for 8 decades means it is the right thing to do. If that's what we should be teaching our kids then our nation really is doomed. I'd rather my kids be labeled entitled but always going for theirs than sitting back and accepting things as they are because that's the way it has always been.

Sometimes in life you have to do unpopular things while searching for the results that you seek. You can teach kids to go after what they want in life or you can teach kids to sit back and suck it up because life isn't fair sometimes.

I've never succumbed to the line of thinking that just because it has been done for 8 decades means it is the right thing to do. If that's what we should be teaching our kids then our nation really is doomed. I'd rather my kids be labeled entitled but always going for theirs than sitting back and accepting things as they are because that's the way it has always been.

If the players aren't whining, who cares what Coach A thinks. Coach A and Principal B only care about their own agendas. I'm not talking about accepting things because it's always been that way. I'm talking about high school players who don't care about seeds, time of games, or who gets the most exposure on TV. It's a freaking game, played by kids, and, unfortunately, being ruined by a bunch of adults who are destroying this nation brick-by-brick. Just ask poor Brad Carr at Scott.

Funny thing is, many older folks will tell you today this country was WAY BETTER OFF than 50 years ago than now. Progress sometimes just means going the wrong way. Newer is not always better.

The argument that "you got to beat the best anyway, so who cares if you draw them first" is cementing the argument that the regular season games mean nothing, and they may better served by scheduling tougher competition. I mean, wasnt that Mason Co's argument on why they didnt schedule the other three schools in the past? Why is everyone now worried about who Bracken Co plays in the regular season.

Blind draws are dumb. They are for programs that know that over the long-term, their best chance of playing two extra games come down to a blind pill draw.

If the players aren't whining, who cares what Coach A thinks. Coach A and Principal B only care about their own agendas. I'm not talking about accepting things because it's always been that way. I'm talking about high school players who don't care about seeds, time of games, or who gets the most exposure on TV. It's a freaking game, played by kids, and, unfortunately, being ruined by a bunch of adults who are destroying this nation brick-by-brick. Just ask poor Brad Carr at Scott.

You should get out and talk to more kids. I know kids whining about transfers, seeding, exposure on TV and Twitter, hell I know kids salty about who unfollowed them the other day. You really want the kids and their short attention span to make decisions that affect their school and teams many years on down the line? That doesn't seem logical to me. I mean, if we're using kids and what they whine about as a metric we shouldn't let them know. Otherwise they'll all drop out of school and stay home to play NBA2K16 against each other all day.

The argument that "you got to beat the best anyway, so who cares if you draw them first" is cementing the argument that the regular season games mean nothing, and they may better served by scheduling tougher competition. I mean, wasnt that Mason Co's argument on why they didnt schedule the other three schools in the past? Why is everyone now worried about who Bracken Co plays in the regular season.

Blind draws are dumb. They are for programs that know that over the long-term, their best chance of playing two extra games come down to a blind pill draw.

The regular season is meaningless as far as a playoff goes. It always has been, always will be, seeding or no seeding. So you play three seeding games. What about the other 25 games? They are meaningless, right? Let's just play the three seeding games and forget the other 25 because they, in your opinion, are meaningless, right? No. The game is foe the kids, not for you so you can log onto BGP and tell everyone how proud you are that your school has advanced to the regional.