May 6, 201610 yr Saw an interview by Larry Vaught with Kyvin Goodin-Harper in today's Ledger Independent. She transferred mid-season to WKU, and was high school teammate and best friend with Makalya Epps. This transfer was a shocker to most of us. She commented...."Linnae Harper was the lock that held us together"...."once she left"...."I wasn't happy there. I felt like I didn't have the connection with some people that I needed in order to continue my journey at U.K." Harper was a McDonalds All-American and starting guard for U.K. that transferred to Ohio State. Goodin-Rogers noted she remains good friends with both Harper and Epps and they talk on the phone often. Got to speculate the lack of connection had to be with the head coach. Reinforces what others have consistently maintained. Coach Mitchell has got to get back to the basics of coaching. Heard it said once, "we don't care how much you know, until we know how much you care."
May 6, 201610 yr Saw an interview by Larry Vaught with Kyvin Goodin-Harper in today's Ledger Independent. She transferred mid-season to WKU, and was high school teammate and best friend with Makalya Epps. This transfer was a shocker to most of us. She commented...."Linnae Harper was the lock that held us together"...."once she left"...."I wasn't happy there. I felt like I didn't have the connection with some people that I needed in order to continue my journey at U.K." Harper was a McDonalds All-American and starting guard for U.K. that transferred to Ohio State. Goodin-Rogers noted she remains good friends with both Harper and Epps and they talk on the phone often. Got to speculate the lack of connection had to be with the head coach. Reinforces what others have consistently maintained. Coach Mitchell has got to get back to the basics of coaching. Heard it said once, "we don't care how much you know, until we know how much you care." If the players need babied that much maybe they shouldnt be on a D1 roster.
May 6, 201610 yr If the players need babied that much maybe they shouldnt be on a D1 roster. What is the common thread? Seven players recruited, seven players leave. Three assistant coaches hired, three assistant coaches leave. One can deny all they want, but there is only one common thread. The one that recruited and hired, and that would be the head coach. And that is where the buck lands.
May 6, 201610 yr Maybe not this with the coach, but Im hearing its because of problems with inter dating among the players. Issue that causes lots of problems in Woman's programs. Not going to come out and say it. 100% no truth to this. And like @magicfan217 I do know this is true. I agree there are issues, but inter dating is not one of them. Edited May 6, 201610 yr by Jesse James
May 6, 201610 yr Author What is the common thread? Seven players recruited, seven players leave. Three assistant coaches hired, three assistant coaches leave. One can deny all they want, but there is only one common thread. The one that recruited and hired, and that would be the head coach. And that is where the buck lands. All one million of them.
May 6, 201610 yr Major Mark Story article in Herald this morning. Mitchell is quoted..."I think where I have made the misstep is if people are feeling like I didn't care about them, and I didn't serve them and I didn't serve them well enough off the court." Duh! You think? Perception is reality Coach! Story concludes..."The Kentucky coach deserves a chance to try to dig out of the giant hole in which his program now finds itself." I agree, and it appears Coach Mitchell is starting to see where the problem lies.
May 6, 201610 yr Major Mark Story article in Herald this morning. Mitchell is quoted..."I think where I have made the misstep is if people are feeling like I didn't care about them, and I didn't serve them and I didn't serve them well enough off the court." Duh! You think? Perception is reality Coach! Story concludes..."The Kentucky coach deserves a chance to try to dig out of the giant hole in which his program now finds itself." I agree, and it appears Coach Mitchell is starting to see where the problem lies. Good for him for seeing this (hopefully). The age old question for lots of coaches... Do I lose my family or my job. This can be a delicate balancing act for most all coaches especially high profile coaches. Hopefully he rights the ship. UK hoops has been relevant the last 9 years thanks to him... I remember a time, it had zero relevance. I think he has earned a year or so to turn this around.
May 6, 201610 yr So its a matter of the HC just staying home with new baby instead of his job and just letting assistants do all the work, thus alienating himself from his players and coaches. I have no problem with him wanting to spend time with new baby. Only thing I suggest is to start taking the kid to pract and games.
May 6, 201610 yr There is probably "lesbian stuff" going on at the majority of WBB programs. Without question. Where it crosses the line is where you have "rumors" of it crossing between players and coaches, that is an absolute no-no. It "allegedly" felled the careers (at least temporarily) of Pokie Chatman, Mickie DeMoss (depending on what version of the stories you believe), Amy Waugh, Summit's son, and I'm sure countless others that I can't think of off the top of my head. I know ZERO about this UK situation, and I'm no Matthew Mitchell fan, but I feel strongly saying there is nothing to that angle and this situation at UK Hoops.
May 6, 201610 yr Author So...Mitchell is a jerk? Or did he basically ignore his team for a year? Or both?
May 6, 201610 yr So...Mitchell is a jerk? Or did he basically ignore his team for a year? Or both? From what I understand, the relationship slide has been gaining momentum over last three years. When players come to HC with problems, and he has no time for them....well, that might be the actions easily called being a jerk. Have no problems with him wanting to give more time to the family. That's called being a dad. Often big time program's demands both on and off the court are so encompassing that something gets neglected. Would understand completely if he walked away. At the same time, he deserves a 2nd chance to resurrect the program to where he had it.
May 9, 201610 yr Another decommit. 2017 Bullitt East guard Lindsey Duvall will open up her recruitment again.
May 9, 201610 yr Another decommit. 2017 Bullitt East guard Lindsey Duvall will open up her recruitment again. Is his contract the only reason why he's still there?
May 9, 201610 yr Is his contract the only reason why he's still there? The huge buyout is probably factor #1 or factor #2.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.