KHSAA Announces Official of the Year Nominees

theguru

I didn't know what forum to put this one in. However, I do want to say thank you to all the hard working Officials across Kentucky. Officiating is a difficult job that doesn't pay nearly what it should.

Thanks everyone!

Having done both basketball and baseball I can tell you I've never once had a bad experience with a player, coach, or fan.

You will (and should) be questioned about your calls occasionally. If that's what you call a "bad experience" then you're in the wrong gig. I get questioned every game. No issues at all with it. I've had fans say "you're blind" or "no way you could see that" or... it's part of the gig and it actually keeps you on your toes and keeps the blood pumping.

Sometimes you have to remember that the coach was right. I had a game where Brossart's coach complained that I anticipated the call on one play at first base. He was 100% right. I screwed up. Learned a lesson from it. Plus the coaches don't hold grudges for the most part. I had a game a few days later with him and he couldn't have been friendlier.

The relationships you build over the years with players and coaches and the chance to be part of high school athletics is such a great reward that the rest of it simply doesn't matter.

Coaches have it much worse than officials.

I also am constantly reminded that the lame narrative about "kids these days" is way overstated. 99.9% of the kids I come across are nothing short of respectful and fun to be around.

Having done both basketball and baseball I can tell you I've never once had a bad experience with a player, coach, or fan.

You will (and should) be questioned about your calls occasionally. If that's what you call a "bad experience" then you're in the wrong gig. I get questioned every game. No issues at all with it. I've had fans say "you're blind" or "no way you could see that" or... it's part of the gig and it actually keeps you on your toes and keeps the blood pumping.

Sometimes you have to remember that the coach was right. I had a game where Brossart's coach complained that I anticipated the call on one play at first base. He was 100% right. I screwed up. Learned a lesson from it. Plus the coaches don't hold grudges for the most part. I had a game a few days later with him and he couldn't have been friendlier.

The relationships you build over the years with players and coaches and the chance to be part of high school athletics is such a great reward that the rest of it simply doesn't matter.

Coaches have it much worse than officials.

I also am constantly reminded that the lame narrative about "kids these days" is way overstated. 99.9% of the kids I come across are nothing short of respectful and fun to be around.

Nice to hear the perspective of a guy deep in the trenches. Thanks, Clyde, makes for a smile on this rainy day.