(Baseball) Cincinnati 4 South Florida 3 (14 innings)

swamprat

With 2 out in the top of the ninth, UC was up 3-1. Joe Genord was on 2nd, but the Bulls were 0-12 with runners in scoring position for the game (The lone USF run being a Chris Chatfield solo homer in the 4th.). Cameron Montgomery was at the plate with 2 strikes on him when Cameron parked one to tie it up. I was working out in the Garage-Ma-Hal and my neighbor came running over to see if I was OK when I whooped after that homer.

The game basically became a pitching duel between A.J. Kullman (who relieved A.J. Olasz after the homer in the top of the ninth) and Tommy Eveld (who started the 8th). That was until the top of the 14th.

With 2 out Jarod Yoakam came in after Kullman gave up a single to Duke Stunkel and left hand batter Luke Borders coming to the plate. Kullman had hit Borders, Luke's previous at bat. Yoakam got Borders to fly out to end the top of the 14th.

USF Head Coach, Mark Kingston, decided Tommy had had enough and went to Andrew Perez to pitch the bottom of the inning. With 2 out, Perez walked Kyle Mottice. Joey Thomas, pinch hitting for Cam Alldred, hit a double and Mottice scored from first.

The Bearcats are now 14-13, 2-1 in the American. The Bulls fall to 15-13, 1-2 in conference.

This was the first series win for Cincinnati over USF since 2008, they did not play in 2011.

USF is at Stetson Tuesday night.

UC hosts Wright State Tueseday and Indiana Wednesday.

BTW, this game would not have gone to a 15th inning had UC not scored in the bottom of the 14th. The drop dead time for an inning to start was 4 PM. The game ended at 4:09. Had UC not scored, the game would have ended in a tie.