Owensboro Area Predictions - Week 1

And . . .here we go! Another season begins this week.

Apollo - 28 -- Hopkins County Central - 0

I don't feel that this game will be close at all. Apollo isn't ready to win a state championship or anything, but, HCC is not a good test for the Eagles. The Eagles will at least get to test their wings in a real game and I think they will win without any trouble. Duvall and Pope get things going early and don't let up until the last whistle blows.

Daviess Co. - 6 -- Marshall County - 35

Coach Lawson continues to breed success where ever he goes and he has helped the Marshals turn their program around. MC lost their QB, however, they still should be too much for DC to handle. Coach Kimbrell just needs time and everything that needs to be accomplished will not take place by the 1st game of the year. DC goes down in their opener and MC rolls on to what should be another productive year.

Owensboro - 14 -- Mater Dei (IN) - 17

Owensboro loses in a close battle. I don't know much about Mater Dei, but, I'm giving them the edge b/c it is at their homeplace. Owensboro is much improved this year, but, I am hearing that Mater Dei is better and much improved as well. Obviously, the game will prove everything. OHS beat Mater Dei last year and I know that they will have revenge on their minds. Mater Dei is better prepared for the Red Devils and comes away with the win.

Catholic - 21 -- South Spencer (IN) - 14

This will be another close game between the schools. Over the years Catholic and South Spencer have played some gritty games. South Spencer always seems to put a physical ball team on the field and I know that they will not want to leave any doubt as to who is the better team. Catholic has struggled with their scrimmages; however, I think that South Spencer will be a lot easier than Bowling Green. In the end, Catholic wins in a good high school Friday night football game.

Henderson - 14 -- Castle - 28

Henderson has had to deal with a lot of issues which I know everyone is aware of. Unfortunately, I see this as a major distraction for the team. With the departure of Fidler, the Colonels will have difficulty with the Knights. Henderson will be good this year; however, I think it's going to take them awhile to find their groove.

The QB isn't Marshall County's biggest loss ... it's their offensive line. If the line comes through, Marshall will be good because their defense is outstanding.

I agree with most of your picks, although Apollo and Hopkins Central could be uglier than you project it.

The interstate matchups are very interesting.

Apollo 27 Hopkins County Central 7 I expect Apollo to roll in this one. There are some good vibes cominbg out of this program so we will see what that translates into.

Daviess County 14 Marshall County 42 DC is a long way away from being competitive. Lawson and the Marshalls

Owensboro 21 Mater Dei 14 This might be a stretch to think the devils will win two in a row from Mater Dei but you never know. The devels defense is going to carry this team all year and they will prove that in this one.

Catholic 28 South Spencer 21 This catholic team will struggle early without a proven RB until Ijames gets out there. I expect the aces to pull out a closely contested battle but this prediction relies on the defense stepping up and making some stops.

Apollo 28 Hopkins County Central 12

Daviess County 13 Marshall County 34

Owensboro 14 Mater Dei 17

This is one of the more interesting matchups this week...

Catholic 24 South Spencer 20

Toss of a coin here I think.....Will be interesting to see how they respond coming off the BG scrimmage. Its a shame Ijames can't play this week...but I guess won't complain too much since he has came back.

Apollo 24 HCC 14 Apollo should win by more, but its early.

Daviess Co. 17 Marshall Co. 42 Too much Marshall.

OHS 21 Mater Dei 10 OHS is too fast for Mater Dei. This would be huge way to start the year for the Red Devils.

OCath 13 South Spencer 26 OCath isn't where they need to be yet. Ocath has to find a solid running game to make things easier on the new QB, Walker.

From some of the posts on here, it sounds like Catholic may have some problems this year??? The QB spot will take a little time and he will have to learn fast against South Spencer and, especially, the Owensboro trio (OHS, Apollo & Daviess County). Defensively, according to those that have seen Catholic, they better get their act together or the Red Devils will run all over them.

The OCath defense lost a lot when McBride graduated. They are going to have to get tough and stop the running game if they want to be successful.

Offensively, the running game will be fine when Ijames starts playing (week 3). IMO the passing game will have to be simplified because of having the young qb. Everybody who has seen OCath play seems to think the offense will be just fine. Hopefully they are correct, but I don't think theres a team in the city who will be a very great offensive team.

The OCath defense lost a lot when McBride graduated. They are going to have to get tough and stop the running game if they want to be successful.

Offensively, the running game will be fine when Ijames starts playing (week 3). IMO the passing game will have to be simplified because of having the young qb. Everybody who has seen OCath play seems to think the offense will be just fine. Hopefully they are correct, but I don't think theres a team in the city who will be a very great offensive team.

Is week 3 for sure when Ijames will be playing?

Your right McBride will be missed.....we need another leader to step it up.