Walmart Closing 269 Stores Worldwide

kygirl

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To clarify, when Wal-Marts outgrow their facility, they don't expand, they move. Maybe 1 mile down the road. Has nothing to do with going out of business. Only a handful of things can replace something of that magnitude and afford to pump money into it to renovate. And chances are it isn't going to replicate the tax base.
Wal-Mart is in their 3rd building in Henderson in my lifetime (I'm 40). The first was a small building compared to what they are today. It's a Trees and Trends. The second building sit empty for a few years, then had to be redesigned (split in half). Office Depot went in part of it (has sense closed), and the remaining portion is a "Vendor Mall" (fancy flee market). Another impact here is the second building was has smaller store fronts attached like a strip mall. When Wal-Mart moved locations those other businesses have slowly dried up.

Wal-Mart didn't own either of the first two locations, and as far as I know they don't own the new one.

Wal-Mart is in their 3rd building in Henderson in my lifetime (I'm 40). The first was a small building compared to what they are today. It's a Trees and Trends. The second building sit empty for a few years, then had to be redesigned (split in half). Office Depot went in part of it (has sense closed), and the remaining portion is a "Vendor Mall" (fancy flee market). Another impact here is the second building was has smaller store fronts attached like a strip mall. When Wal-Mart moved locations those other businesses have slowly dried up.

Wal-Mart didn't own either of the first two locations, and as far as I know they don't own the new one.

That sounds about right. Where it is really bad are in more rural areas, where Wal-Mart is one of the few shows in town. Imagine a community with less than 10,000, a Wal-Mart is in a strip mall or stand alone store, they relocate to another building. To rehab an existing facility takes a few million and only a select few businesses can can go in them. They are not doing anything illegal, just the reality of the situation. It is funny how it works because many communities bend over backwards to get them to a community.