Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Track the Reds (Second Half)

Featured Replies

Offense is not the problem....The ability or lack thereof to pitch, is the problem.

 

Position players are paid to hit, most play every day. A great average as you know, is .300 which means 7 out of 10 times, they make outs. A starting pitcher, usually gets the nod every 4th-5th day. Which means 33-38 starts, barring injury. A 20 win season is excellent, 8-7 record is "average". An ERA 3.00± is very good, which gives an average/good MLB team, a chance to win every game. An ERA near 4.85±, is not very good and means you are allowing 1.85 runs to score, each start on average more than a very good pitcher.

 

Offense will have streaks and so will pitchers. 8-15 in '05 and 8-7 in '06....is neither good or quality. The last time I checked, NO position player who hits .250 or .300, allowed 40+ HR's over the wall, per season.

 

 

You have ignored point after point after point after point. I'm done.

  • Replies 5.3k
  • Views 224.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that pitching is always the priority we have lacked, no argument from me there, however, the last month we can't score, we were in first place not only in the division, but well in the card standings. Since, we can't hit. When the pressure to win increases, we choke, plain and simple. And I'm speaking offensively. In that time frame we have pitched for the most part well enough to win enough games to keep us in real contention.
I understand your point but let's be completely honest, the Reds are at best a .500 team....they are in a Division, which is certainly underachieving and perhaps to much is being expected out of the Reds.

 

In the long haul, over 162 games....the best "team" will win and overcome bad stretches, while not being nearly as good, during the winning streaks. There current record is not the result of the last 3 weeks, but a complete body of work, for the entire season....Reds are an "average" MLB team.

 

You have ignored point after point after point after point. I'm done.
....:eek:

 

I've responded to each post I think and I understand your point...but what I'm saying now and since last season, Reds need quality starting pitching and I don't feel myself, Milton is a quality starter.

 

If he was on another team, would he be the #3 or higher....I don't think so but just me. I'll agree with you, I'll dismount the "beat down Milton horse" and not ride again....deal....:thumb:

 

P.S....don't feel bad, many realize they often lose in a debate with me...:lol:

Turn out the lights. Party's over...

I understand your point but let's be completely honest, the Reds are at best a .500 team....they are in a Division, which is certainly underachieving and perhaps to much is being expected out of the Reds.

 

In the long haul, over 162 games....the best "team" will win and overcome bad stretches, while not being nearly as good, during the winning streaks. There current record is not the result of the last 3 weeks, but a complete body of work, for the entire season....Reds are an "average" MLB team.

 

....:eek:

 

I've responded to each post I think and I understand your point...but what I'm saying now and since last season, Reds need quality starting pitching and I don't feel myself, Milton is a quality starter.

 

If he was on another team, would he be the #3 or higher....I don't think so but just me. I'll agree with you, I'll dismount the "beat down Milton horse" and not ride again....deal....:thumb:

 

P.S....don't feel bad, many realize they often lose in a debate with me...:lol:

As for your point of the 162 issue, you can't discount that some teams have the makeup to excel and make a run and others ( Reds ) fold down the stretch. I refer back to an interview I heard one evening when the Reds were in LA to start off the West coast trip which was ultimately our demise and Hatteberg never mentioned the fact that we can make a run, or we can do something here that hasn't happened for some time (make the playoffs). He merely resounded the theme in the clubhouse that no one expected them to contend and they had overachieved. It's no coincidence that they spiraled since. No character IMO. Look at Houston last season and for that matter this season, they excel down the stretch and expect to. Perhaps GT's post in gen.disc. about the apathy of the Cincy fans extends into the dugout. So your "it's a marathon, not a sprint" theory doesn't make me believe in just the numbers. It's a matter of having a little sack and making the attitude and effort to get the job done!

Turn out the lights. Party's over...

Oh well. It was a better season than we all expect so we can't be to upset. Now the Bengals have my 100% attention instead of 98%.:D

As for your point of the 162 issue, you can't discount that some teams have the makeup to excel and make a run and others ( Reds ) fold down the stretch. I refer back to an interview I heard one evening when the Reds were in LA to start off the West coast trip which was ultimately our demise and Hatteberg never mentioned the fact that we can make a run, or we can do something here that hasn't happened for some time (make the playoffs). He merely resounded the theme in the clubhouse that no one expected them to contend and they had overachieved. It's no coincidence that they spiraled since. No character IMO. Look at Houston last season and for that matter this season, they excel down the stretch and expect to. Perhaps GT's post in gen.disc. about the apathy of the Cincy fans extends into the dugout. So your "it's a marathon, not a sprint" theory doesn't make me believe in just the numbers. It's a matter of having a little sack and making the attitude and effort to get the job done!
Very well said and a lot may have to do, with team chemistry or the lack thereof.

 

I can think of several players, that I would consider moving or making package deals. Perhaps the attitude you elude to, has festered in some and spread to others....

 

Reds are an average team.

Post 4889 kind of gives a whole new meaning to tailgating.

Oh well. It was a better season than we all expect so we can't be to upset. Now the Bengals have my 100% attention instead of 98%.:D

 

If they keep going the way they are going they are going to finish close to as bad as they usually do. Luckily the National League was down this year, and so we actually was able to stay in the Wild Card and division race all year even though we have been around a little bit better than .500 most of the year.... :madman:

 

Im a very optimistic person though so I am holding out hope that some how we get really hot and can pull off like 12 out of the next 16 or so games and just hope other teams help us out and lose. But I know the chances of that happening is very low.

Post 4889 kind of gives a whole new meaning to tailgating.

 

:thumb:

Can anyone else picture Kirk Gibson, George Brett, Rickey Henderson, Will Clark, Andre Dawson or another 80's or 90's superstar begging out of a pennant race for a sore toe? Me neither.

Kenny Rogers with his inflated face and new look has released his latest remake of his own Lucille and renamed it The Ballad of the Reds.

 

It goes something like this...

You've picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel,

No starting pitching and chumps in the field.

We started out and won some, and now just can't buy one

The fat lady's started her schpeel,

You've picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.

 

You can hear the rest at TheRedsStillSuck.com

 

 

 

 

of course this was all done without the permission of Mr. Rogers nor his plastic surgeon

Kenny Rogers with his inflated face and new look has released his latest remake of his own Lucille and renamed it The Ballad of the Reds.

 

It goes something like this...

You've picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel,

No starting pitching and chumps in the field.

We started out and won some, and now just can't buy one

The fat lady's started her schpeel,

You've picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.

 

You can hear the rest at TheRedsStillSuck.com

 

 

 

 

of course this was all done without the permission of Mr. Rogers nor his plastic surgeon

Man you need ot get in the woods and release some frustration on the turkey poplulation. I mean harvest a renewable resource and exhibit good conservation skills. What time do we leave?

Man you need ot get in the woods and release some frustration on the turkey poplulation. I mean harvest a renewable resource and exhibit good conservation skills. What time do we leave?

I know, I know, thus the plight of the Reds fan!!!!! I'd leave now if I could!

If this were a few years back I would just get up and leave class. Man I hate responsibiliites. The Reds still need a #1. Maybe Homer can be a Dwight Gooden without the vices next year. Maybe the everyday players will have some heart. Maybe next September we will be ordering playoff tickets.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.