September 14, 200620 yr It doesn't matter what they've done this year while in Washington. The Reds scored more runs and had a higher winning percentage while they were on the team. The trade did nothing to help the pen b/c one of the pitchers never got anyone out once he put on a Reds uniform and the other one while he looks promising hasn't helped all that much either. Define "in it" and we'll see where they are in the next 3 years. They were tied for the division lead and had the wild card lead a couple of weeks ago. I say they are not in that position again in the next 3 years this late in the year. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm defending the Reds fans that might have the same opinion as I do. Lopez had a good year last year, that's it. Neither has done enough to be labeled untouchable, especially for pitching. It's not Krivsky's fault Bowden didn't give the whole story on Majewski. "In it" obviously means a chance to win the division late in the year. I'd say within 5 games in September. Honestly, I don't see where everyone thinks Lopez/Kearns were such run producing machines...
September 14, 200620 yr SM, they needed starting pitching, when the season ended last year, began this year and all through the season. The timing of the new management, certainly precluded any real chances of getting a solid/quality MLB starter. I agree you give up offense sometimes, to attain position players but the REDS have led/lead in most offensive categories and still, have a below .500 record.....Pitching, the lack of quality starters, no average closer and over-rated middle relief corps is the problem my friend. Which they tried to improve. There were zero starters or closers available by the time Krivsky and Castellini could deal, period. Not sure how you can blame them for that. You know as well as I do that if they bring in a closer and he gets shelled we'd be having this same discussion about the "Worst trade in Reds history."
September 14, 200620 yr Which they tried to improve. There were zero starters or closers available by the time Krivsky and Castellini could deal, period. Not sure how you can blame them for that. You know as well as I do that if they bring in a closer and he gets shelled we'd be having this same discussion about the "Worst trade in Reds history."I'm not blaming anyone and you can look back at my posts, prior to the season began and during....I've steadfastly stated, they needed starting pitching and typically winter trades are where some is acquired. I'm also not opposed so much to whom left but what they received in place of. Milton has been a consistent disappointment with the Reds, Merker and others have been injured and the starters at the beginning of the season....who remains, Harang and Arroyo. Closer spot has been a committee, rather than 1-2 and that will often result in blown saves, as I'm sure you will agree.
September 14, 200620 yr I'm not blaming anyone and you can look back at my posts, prior to the season began and during....I've steadfastly stated, they needed starting pitching and typically winter trades are where some is acquired. I'm also not opposed so much to whom left but what they received in place of. Milton has been a consistent disappointment with the Reds, Merker and others have been injured and the starters at the beginning of the season....who remains, Harang and Arroyo. Closer spot has been a committee, rather than 1-2 and that will often result in blown saves, as I'm sure you will agree. Agreed, that's why I firmly believe this organization will be back in the thick of things within a few years. I also stand by my prediction of Bray being a stud for a long time and possibly Majewski...
September 14, 200620 yr Agreed, that's why I firmly believe this organization will be back in the thick of things within a few years. I also stand by my prediction of Bray being a stud for a long time and possibly Majewski...I like one but not sold on the other, his FB seems to lack movement and is too flat. He doesn't hide the ball well, in his delivery. Lohse has been impressive and could work into the #3 role. I also believe, that several of the middle relief acquisitions, will be packaged this winter, to acquire some starters, along with a current position player or two. The 3 catcher rotation, has not gone well and we both agree, on which should be given their walking papers, in that trio. There are more positives, than areas that concern me, but the biggest being quality starters.
September 14, 200620 yr I like one but not sold on the other, his FB seems to lack movement and is too flat. He doesn't hide the ball well, in his delivery. Lohse has been impressive and could work into the #3 role. I also believe, that several of the middle relief acquisitions, will be packaged this winter, to acquire some starters, along with a current position player or two. The 3 catcher rotation, has not gone well and we both agree, on which should be given their walking papers, in that trio. There are more positives, than areas that concern me, but the biggest being quality starters. Agreed, well than there's the concern of your age...:sssh: :sssh: I'm truly sorry, I know it's a cheap shot but I had to take it.
September 14, 200620 yr and had a higher winning percentage while they were on the team. Shenanigans. Argument over...
September 14, 200620 yr Agreed, well than there's the concern of your age...:sssh: :sssh: I'm truly sorry, I know it's a cheap shot but I had to take it. ....:lol: No problem my good friend. I like to think with age, brings wisdom, experience and the ability to rationalize. 2 more years and you should graduate through my accelerated course, that you signed up for....
September 14, 200620 yr Oh, don't forget that Krivsky gets paid to do this and has a proven track record while those "fans" (I use this term loosely) think they know what they're talking about. BTW, I'll save the "I told you so" when Bray/Majewski end up as studs and Lopez/Kearns end up as duds. Also, GT's thread in GD explains this Cincinnati fan mindset... I've said it several times and I'm still right. This was a money deal that addressed some immidiate concerns. I don't think Lopez and Kearns were the greatest thing ever, but they were about to get paid and the Reds didn't want to pay them. Might as well get something for them while you can. This was a money deal. Bray may end up a stud, but Kearns and Lopez are both going to have productive years. Both are young, have formerly been ranked as high prospects, and are both having decent years. We traded 2 young starters away for average prospects. It isn't as bad a deal as I'm making it out to be because I agree with not paying Kearns and Lopez big money, but thinking that the Nationals got the short end of the stick is far and near sighted.
September 14, 200620 yr It isn't as bad a deal as I'm making it out to be because I agree with not paying Kearns and Lopez big money, but thinking that the Nationals got the short end of the stick is far and near sighted. There is no way they keep both after 07, and truth be told I doubt they sign either...
September 14, 200620 yr I've said it several times and I'm still right. This was a money deal that addressed some immediate concerns. I don't think Lopez and Kearns were the greatest thing ever, but they were about to get paid and the Reds didn't want to pay them. Might as well get something for them while you can. This was a money deal. Bray may end up a stud, but Kearns and Lopez are both going to have productive years. Both are young, have formerly been ranked as high prospects, and are both having decent years. We traded 2 young starters away for average prospects. It isn't as bad a deal as I'm making it out to be because I agree with not paying Kearns and Lopez big money, but thinking that the Nationals got the short end of the stick is far and near sighted.I think more of a trade, while they have some value deal and was looking for more veteran leadership, to help a team in the playoff hunt, in my opinion. If it was money, than one certain pitcher is getting $9.8 mil.....and I'm assuming he was offered, with no takers and that really tied up cash, the Reds could have used.
September 14, 200620 yr I think more of a trade, while they have some value deal and was looking for more veteran leadership, to help a team in the playoff hunt, in my opinion. If it was money, than one certain pitcher is getting $9.8 mil.....and I'm assuming he was offered, with no takers and that really tied up cash, the Reds could have used. I have to laugh that you bang on starting pitching and in the same breath hang Milton out to dry...
September 14, 200620 yr I have to laugh that you bang on starting pitching and in the same breath hang Milton out to dry.......The truth hurts. If I thought he was a quality starting pitcher, nothing would ever be said. 3-5 good starts per year, does not make him a quality MLB pitcher. The fans beyond the outfield fence, certainly appreciates all the souvenirs he offers, but not me.
September 14, 200620 yr ....The truth hurts. If I thought he was a quality starting pitcher, nothing would ever be said. 3-5 good starts per year, does not make him a quality MLB pitcher. The fans beyond the outfield fence, certainly appreciates all the souvenirs he offers, but not me. 7 quality starts in his last 10 outings before the injury...
September 14, 200620 yr Lopez had a good year last year, that's it. Neither has done enough to be labeled untouchable, especially for pitching. It's not Krivsky's fault Bowden didn't give the whole story on Majewski. "In it" obviously means a chance to win the division late in the year. I'd say within 5 games in September. Honestly, I don't see where everyone thinks Lopez/Kearns were such run producing machines... Not many teams in the history of baseball have blown a 5 game lead in the division once September has started. No one is saying they were run producing machines. But the club scored more runs while they were on the team. Friendly wager, the Reds will not lead or be tied for the division lead in the next 3 years in the month of September.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.