Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Track the Reds (Second Half)

Featured Replies

Wise is a bit of a head scratcher, but the others make sense...

 

Agreed...

  • Replies 5.3k
  • Views 224.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then why you trying to argue with me?

 

 

People are complaining when Larue plays 1 game, or 2 in a row, or 3 out of 7. Ross hasn't earned the "starter" tag, so playing Larue some is not that big a deal.

A little of both. When LaRue was getting hammered on here for playing two or three times a week, I simply said that if you play Ross every day there is a great risk he turns into David Ross circa 2004 when he hit .170 for the season. I stand firm that I like Cowboy behind the plate better than Ross on defense. I guess what it all comes down to, is that Ross and LaRue were similar players, and the platoon seemed to work alright. Now we have two "LaRue's" at the plate swinging, and the one that isn't as good on D is getting almost all of the PT. Maybe the answer would have been more starts for Javy over the last 6 weeks in non Harang games where Ross needed to sit...

 

 

That about sums it up. :thumb:

People are complaining when Larue plays 1 game, or 2 in a row, or 3 out of 7. Ross hasn't earned the "starter" tag, so playing Larue some is not that big a deal.

So, what would you consider the starter tag? And how many starts with there being 3 catchers is considered "starting"? Just asking.

If we thought he was an option this year we wouldn't have spent the money in market. If we want to be in contention and go shopping before the deadline the fans need to show up. How many were there last night?

 

 

We got an ancient closer and 2 middle relievers for 2 every day starters. Cincinnati fans are smart enough to realize this wasn't a "move" for this year.

Cincinnati fans are smart enough to realize this wasn't a "move" for this year.

As a whole? No, they aren't...

So, what would you consider the starter tag? And how many starts with there being 3 catchers is considered "starting"? Just asking.

If you are in the lineup for the first inning for that game.:D

 

I wouldn't be opposed to a week with 6 games seeing Ross in 3, LaRue in 2 and Valentin in 1.

As a whole? No, they aren't...

But what "move" could have truly been made? Was there a serious starter we missed, a major closer? Seriously, what else could we have done?

So, what would you consider the starter tag? And how many starts with there being 3 catchers is considered "starting"? Just asking.

 

For a catcher, 130 games. People threw fits every time Cowboy started, to the point of absurdity. Like GT said, he's better defensively and he's proved throughout his career that he isn't this bad of a hitter. He was in a funk that he had no chance to get out of because he wasn't getting the AB's. Had he not started the season on the DL this conversation wouldn't be taking place. Larue isn't the answer, but neither is Ross. I have no problem with them splitting time, but in a 1 game situation I'd play Larue.

If you are in the lineup for the first inning for that game.:D

 

I wouldn't be opposed to a week with 6 games seeing Ross in 3, LaRue in 2 and Valentin in 1.

Ha, Ha!

Really, I can't help but prefer Valentin as a pinch-hitter, he is a serious threat. For some reason, I just have a positive feeling seeing him come off of the bench in a tough spot, he seems to always rip one, not always get on base, but seems to pole the first fastball he sees.

But what "move" could have truly been made? Was there a serious starter we missed, a major closer? Seriously, what else could we have done?

There was very little out there. Maddux wanted to go to LA. Boomer wanted to go to SD. I think we were in on Lidle, but that ended when he was added into the Abreu trade. Lohse was a steal if you had seen him pitch IMO. Kriv gets a solid A from me for his work from July to now...

As a whole? No, they aren't...

 

 

When referring to fan, I do not include casual fans, I refer to people who watch a lot of games, go to a lot of games, and get on websites and talk about the Reds. As a whole the Reds fans I associate myself with are pretty knowledgeable.

But what "move" could have truly been made? Was there a serious starter we missed, a major closer? Seriously, what else could we have done?

I agree. It's not like the minors are littered with prospects to throw away willie nillie. There are only a handful of people that the Reds could have traded away with killing their chances this year or a long-term look.

 

WK's hands were tied because of the lack of flexibility in the minors as well as some of the contracts he inherited that made moving some major leaguers very difficult to near impossible.

For a catcher, 130 games. People threw fits every time Cowboy started, to the point of absurdity. Like GT said, he's better defensively and he's proved throughout his career that he isn't this bad of a hitter. He was in a funk that he had no chance to get out of because he wasn't getting the AB's. Had he not started the season on the DL this conversation wouldn't be taking place. Larue isn't the answer, but neither is Ross. I have no problem with them splitting time, but in a 1 game situation I'd play Larue.

Well, if management feels the same way you do, I would bet we'll start the season next year with 3 catchers on the roster. My only problem with Larue truly is his salary.

Well, if management feels the same way you do, I would bet we'll start the season next year with 3 catchers on the roster. My only problem with Larue truly is his salary.

 

 

I think that will happen.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.