December 14, 201510 yr I think McPapa is trying to make the point that the Constitution sometimes needs to be refreshed. Slavery was one of those times. Voting rights is another time. I'm not sure it needs revised. I just think we need to have some common sense about things. I'm pretty sure that technology and availability has far surpassed what the founding fathers were thinking.
December 14, 201510 yr Correct. However, it could become protected again if challenged. And challenged it would be. Also, know that if you own it before said ban, it would still be legal.Makes sense. Thanks.
December 14, 201510 yr I think McPapa is trying to make the point that the Constitution sometimes needs to be refreshed. Slavery was one of those times. Voting rights is another time. I'm not sure it needs revised. I just think we need to have some common sense about things. I'm pretty sure that technology and availability has far surpassed what the founding fathers were thinking. Maybe that's why Machine Guns, Fully Auto Assault Weapons, Hand Grenades, Exploding Artillery shells, Firing Tanks and Ballistic Missiles are impossible or nearly impossible for private citizens to own now. The modern sporting rifle (AR-15 type) is basically the 1776 equivalent to the long rifle carried by the minutemen.
December 15, 201510 yr Maybe that's why Machine Guns' date=' Fully Auto Assault Weapons, Hand Grenades, Exploding Artillery shells, Firing Tanks and Ballistic Missiles are impossible or nearly impossible for private citizens to own now. The modern sporting rifle (AR-15 type) is basically the 1776 equivalent to the long rifle carried by the minutemen.[/quote'] ...
December 15, 201510 yr Author ... That's absolutely hilarious, but sad at the same time. I'm afraid some on this site would believe 75% of that to be true.
December 15, 201510 yr Maybe that's why Machine Guns, Fully Auto Assault Weapons, Hand Grenades, Exploding Artillery shells, Firing Tanks and Ballistic Missiles are impossible or nearly impossible for private citizens to own now. The modern sporting rifle (AR-15 type) is basically the 1776 equivalent to the long rifle carried by the minutemen. Blame Josh Sugermann - he initentionally created the term 'assault rifle' to scare weak-minded people.
December 15, 201510 yr Blame Josh Sugermann - he initentionally created the term 'assault rifle' to scare weak-minded people.If he did and did it for that reason I'd have to say it worked as far as the gun illiterates go.
December 15, 201510 yr If he did and did it for that reason I'd have to say it worked as far as the gun illiterates go. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Sugarmann "Assault weapons—just like armor-piercing bullets, machine guns, and plastic firearms—are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons." He created the terminology to leverage 'confusion' of the public. Ironically, somewhat, he is from Newtown CT.
December 15, 201510 yr https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Sugarmann "Assault weapons—just like armor-piercing bullets, machine guns, and plastic firearms—are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons." He created the terminology to leverage 'confusion' of the public. Ironically, somewhat, he is from Newtown CT. Jeez...that's sad that public deception was the intent from the beginning.
December 15, 201510 yr I am not sure the reason for the long term, long running anti-gun political agenda from the Progressive wing. Maybe its direction from the CPUSA - who directs the Progressive wing of the Democratic party to just simply divide the country and keep the hate flowing. Maybe somebody really thinks they really can dis-arm the Citizenry for easier totalitarianism. Holders's scarey comments of 1995 are very troublesome. And they were only made worse when he left the AG office 9 years later, claiming 'lack of gun control' was his biggest failure. I guess his 'brain-washing' efforts he exposed in 1995 did not work like he thought they would. But something continues to drive this agenda.
December 15, 201510 yr Really set me straight, cowboy. The good news is that all your toys are still legal. The bad news is that more people are thinking as I do. Or at least I get that impression. Since we got to start somewhere, let's begin by banning the weapon of choice for all these obscene mass murders. One things for sure, if or when the really bad guys come to take over, the soft targets will be the first to go. That pretty much puts you and the other guns banned crowd first in line. Do you really believe you're safer if the only people with weapons are the ones who are in high places, their military and their law enforcement? A quote from my Dad that he read somewhere when these discussions started to gain momentum in the '80's, " An armed person is a citizen, an unarmed person is a subject."
December 15, 201510 yr One things for sure, if or when the really bad guys come to take over, the soft targets will be the first to go. That pretty much puts you and the other guns banned crowd first in line. Do you really believe you're safer if the only people with weapons are the ones who are in high places, their military and their law enforcement? A quote from my Dad that he read somewhere when these discussions started to gain momentum in the '80's, " An armed person is a citizen, an unarmed person is a subject." Yes. Certain types of weapons (bazookas, hand grenades, AR-15s) should be law-enforcement/military only. If we truly need a bunch of well-armed yahoo cowboys to keep "the really bad guys from taking over," then you and everyone else who thinks this way is delusional. Sorry. There's no other way to put it.
December 15, 201510 yr The modern sporting rifle (AR-15 type) is basically the 1776 equivalent to the long rifle carried by the minutemen. I don't believe that a 1776 long rifle could be modified -- like an AR-15 can -- to wipe out a lunchroom full of kids in 45 seconds.
December 15, 201510 yr I don't believe that a 1776 long rifle could be modified -- like an AR-15 can -- to wipe out a lunchroom full of kids in 45 seconds. :no:
December 15, 201510 yr That's absolutely hilarious, but sad at the same time. I'm afraid some on this site would believe 75% of that to be true. Yo mean it isn't? I need to get me sum edumucation!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.