October 28, 201510 yr Interesting thread. IMO, while the girl was a brat and probably a real problem at the school, she did NOT deserve to thrown around like that. Definitely excessive IMO. That being said, I cannot see why anyone would want to be a teacher or cop today. Teachers have to deal with many kids who have no respect for authority (and their coddling parents) and cops have to make split second decisions and have so many who want to give EVERYBODY EXCEPT the cops the benefit of the doubt. If I was a cop, I would shut it down and do the absolute minimum and just try to get by each day without causing any waves. There are just too many people looking to catch a cop making a mistake... I absolutely hold cops to a MUCH MUCH higher standard than a regular joe. With more authority and more rights I don't see why anyone would do anything other than that?
October 28, 201510 yr I have been 40 years in education from teacher to coach to superintendent. The SRO would be suspended as soon as I saw the tape and after due process if the student did not touch, strike or show a weapon to harm him, his action would be totally unacceptable and I not only would fire him, I would file charges of abuse with the police and report him to the Cabinet. I don't care what the student said verbally. Waiting is the only option some time. The girl would also be punished accordingly, also. This has nothing to do with respecting police officers, etc. I always did and do. However, you don't treat an animal like that and certainly not a 13 year old. This has nothing to do with race, but treating people with dignity and respect. In the care of children you have to always remember who the adult is and how they should act. You teach children nothing but hate and violence is acceptable when you allow this to happen.
October 28, 201510 yr I have been 40 years in education from teacher to coach to superintendent. The SRO would be suspended as soon as I saw the tape and after due process if the student did not touch, strike or show a weapon to harm him, his action would be totally unacceptable and I not only would fire him, I would file charges of abuse with the police and report him to the Cabinet. I don't care what the student said verbally. Waiting is the only option some time. The girl would be punished accordingly, also. This has nothing to do with respecting police officers, etc. I always did and do. However, you don't treat an animal like that and certainly not a 13 year old. This has nothing to do with race, but treating people with dignity and respect. In the care of children you have to always remember who the adult is and how they should act. You teach children nothing but hate and violence is acceptable when you allow this to happen.
October 28, 201510 yr I have been 40 years in education from teacher to coach to superintendent. The SRO would be suspended as soon as I saw the tape and after due process if the student did not touch, strike or show a weapon to harm him, his action would be totally unacceptable and I not only would fire him, I would file charges of abuse with the police and report him to the Cabinet. I don't care what the student said verbally. Waiting is the only option some time. The girl would be punished accordingly, also. This has nothing to do with respecting police officers, etc. I always did and do. However, you don't treat an animal like that and certainly not a 13 year old. This has nothing to do with race, but treating people with dignity and respect. In the care of children you have to always remember who the adult is and how they should act. You teach children nothing but hate and violence is acceptable when you allow this to happen. My faith in humanity restored. Thank you for this post. I think it was posted twice, proud to like it twice lol.
October 28, 201510 yr I have been 40 years in education from teacher to coach to superintendent. The SRO would be suspended as soon as I saw the tape and after due process if the student did not touch, strike or show a weapon to harm him, his action would be totally unacceptable and I not only would fire him, I would file charges of abuse with the police and report him to the Cabinet. I don't care what the student said verbally. Waiting is the only option some time. The girl would also be punished accordingly, also. This has nothing to do with respecting police officers, etc. I always did and do. However, you don't treat an animal like that and certainly not a 13 year old. This has nothing to do with race, but treating people with dignity and respect. In the care of children you have to always remember who the adult is and how they should act. You teach children nothing but hate and violence is acceptable when you allow this to happen. I truly expected most people on here to express feelings very similar to this.
October 28, 201510 yr The policy in my district is to clear the room, call the parent, only call for an officer if the student gets aggressive, only touch the student if she is a danger to self or others. Defiance does not warrant physical contact.
October 28, 201510 yr The policy in my district is to clear the room, call the parent, only call for an officer if the student gets aggressive, only touch the student if she is a danger to self or others. Defiance does not warrant physical contact. Good lord times have changed. Bless your heart teachers you deserve it.
October 28, 201510 yr Word on Twitter....and I stress...word on Twitter.....is that the girl lost her mother in January and her grandmother in June and had been placed in foster care following the loss of her grandmother. I know most folks on here won't care about that but for all those saying her family should be teaching her respect, well it doesn't look like she has any family.
October 28, 201510 yr Good lord times have changed. Bless your heart teachers you deserve it. Times have changed? I guess I have been blessed to go to schools where students have acted like students and when disciplined they handled their discipline well enough to not get assaulted by the SRO. Then again, we didn't have SROs when I was in school. We got paddled in school when I was in school but that isn't done anymore I don't think.
October 28, 201510 yr Times have changed? I guess I have been blessed to go to schools where students have acted like students and when disciplined they handled their discipline well enough to not get assaulted by the SRO. Then again, we didn't have SROs when I was in school. We got paddled in school when I was in school but that isn't done anymore I don't think. No more paddling, the wussification of America continues.
October 28, 201510 yr Word on Twitter....and I stress...word on Twitter.....is that the girl lost her mother in January and her grandmother in June and had been placed in foster care following the loss of her grandmother. I know most folks on here won't care about that but for all those saying her family should be teaching her respect, well it doesn't look like she has any family. That might be why the other girl who was arrested for speaking up for her, and released from jail on a 1000 bond, said "I knew she didn't have no one." Edit: The CNN report says she was released to her parents.
October 28, 201510 yr Times have changed? I guess I have been blessed to go to schools where students have acted like students and when disciplined they handled their discipline well enough to not get assaulted by the SRO. Then again, we didn't have SROs when I was in school. We got paddled in school when I was in my school but that isn't done anymore I don't think. Part of the problem! No longer respect or 'fear' of authority. I don't like using the word fear, but ramifications for your actions may suit better? If you grew up with the scenario you mentioned. I'm shocked that you feel it is OK for kids to challenge authority. Bring back the paddle! Obviously you don't like SRO's dishing out pain since they can't use a paddle.
October 28, 201510 yr Part of the problem! No longer respect or 'fear' of authority. I don't like using the word fear, but ramifications for your actions may suit better? If you grew up with the scenario you mentioned. I'm shocked that you feel it is OK for kids to challenge authority. Bring back the paddle! Obviously you don't like SRO's dishing out pain since they can't use a paddle. Where did I say I felt it was okay for kids to challenge authority? Not one time have I said that. Come on now, TAC. Don't make stuff up.
October 28, 201510 yr Yes she is black and yes she knows it and used it right to her advantage of the being racially discriminated against. As a matter of fact the Black Lives Matter is already involved as is the ACLU, how convienent. She is very young to already know how to use the race card and I'm sure she learned it honest. Why are you the first to bring up race in this thread? Why do you assume that since she is black that she will use it to her advantage? And why do you assume that she is using the race card? Why were you the one who brought up that race is a factor? The deputy is known as "officer slam" as he has a reputation of getting rough with people. Also, FWI, the deputy has been dating a black woman for quite some time. Edited October 28, 201510 yr by SportsGuy41017
October 28, 201510 yr Why are you the first to bring up race in this thread? Why do you assume that since she is black that she will use it to her advantage? And why do you assume that she is using the race card? Why were you the one who brought up that race is a factor? The deputy is known as "officer slam" as he has a reputation of getting rough with people. Also, FWI, the deputy has been dating a black woman for quite some time. Because it's 2015, everything is about race now. Everything on the news is a race issue and the media only helps fuel the flames. Kids pick up on this coverage in places like Ferguson and Baltimore and see what is happening and what they can get away with.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.