Dontaie Allen 6'4" freshman From Pendleton County had a big summer!

Doesn't AAU ball at a high level negate the need to go to a "high-level" high school program? How high-level are we talking anyway?

Stay home. Play with your boys. Hoop it up in AAU to get exposure.

I agree. Until you are "noticed", college coaches don't even pay attention to high school ball. That's why you need to find the best organization and play at the highest level possible. AAU isn't even where its at anymore. The exposure orgs like Nike are where all the top players are playing nowadays. That's where the college coaches head.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Until you are "noticed", college coaches don't even pay attention to high school ball. That's why you need to find the best organization and play at the highest level possible. AAU isn't even where its at anymore. The exposure orgs like Nike are where all the top players are playing nowadays. That's where the college coaches head.

If he's good enough to play at that level in the summer then he doesn't need to switch schools.

If he's not then a new school doesn't change anything.

Stay home, young man.

I think the need to change schools is case by case. Alot of times kids are forced to play positions detrimental to their growth and development at the next level. See it all the time a 6 5' kid playing in the post. If your school team allows you to perform at a decent position then stay; but if you're totally out of position...well that's something to think about. It's the nature of the beast.

My last counsel(even though no one is seeking counsel) is this.

Let's let the kid progress without any crazy expectations. Let's let him enjoy his high school experience without having yahoos say "well he doesn't look D1 to me."

Kid won D-1 state over the summer...it takes one heck of a Team to play D-1 Nationals!

His game will speak for itself this year... I can't wait to watch this kid play basketball for PC..

Kid must be good. According to the first post in this thread and yours he won both the D1 and D2 championships. Chomping at the bit to see him.

He won D1 State with KYWA Magic. But, instead of going to play D1 Nationals with them, he went and played with Ky Royals in D2. Royals won championship, but he should have had to play D1 with KYWA.

• 6 months later...
UK assistant John Robic was in Falmouth to watch Allen today.

This also helps to show that you don't have to attend XYZ National Super Prep to get noticed as some people think/will lead you to believe. UK going to little Pendleton Co. to look at a kid. If you are good enough, they will find and come to YOU.

He plays with the 16u in some games on the Adidas circuit with HoopDreams. He's getting a lot of exposure and has done well in the games he's played. Very even keel kid; never really gets rattled on the court. Big future for the kid