Advice from those that have been there

The following websites provide free and paid memberships:

NCSA

CaptainU

University Athelete

You can create a free profile on MaxPreps as well.

You may find it beneficial to have one paid recruiting membership because they will edit your highlights for you, provide background information on all of the colleges you are interested in and help get your daughter's information out to a variety of coaches. You can do it all on your own but it will take more time. My daughter did have a paid profile on NCSA at their middle tier. I do think it was helpful for her but we still needed to do a lot of work on our end.

My daughter was able to get a scholarship to an NAIA school but it took a lot of e-mails, and college visits until she found the right situation. Your daughter will need to be the one talking to the coaches but she will need your help to guide her through the process. The only girls that have it easy are the ones beting recruited by Division I schools in their 10th grade year.

I'm not sure if I completely agree with the above statement about sitting on the bench for a top rated team. The only way to get seen by recruiters is when you are playing so if you are on the bench you may not get recruited. However you do need to play for a club that is attending Regional and National tournaments and participating in Premier and Open events. The recruiters primarly focus their time at tournaments on teams playing in these two divisions. However, coaches may come and see your daughter if she is playing in the Club Division if you have been in contact with them and they are impressed with highlights you have sent them.

Some things that I learned along the way were 1) although Division III schools can't give athletic scholarships, a lot of times their academic scholarships can match the athletic/academic scholarships given by NAIA and Division II schools 2) being willing to go out of state or a little farther from home might help you be successful in obtaining a volleyball scholarship or a spot on a team 3) social media is closely monitored by college coaches and can ruin even a top recruit's chances at a scholarship 4) your daughters attitude on and off the court at tournaments matters...you never know when a college coach might be standing behind you in the food line.

"The only girls that have it easy are the ones beting recruited by Division I schools in their 10th grade year."

The above is completely untrue. I have had two daughters play D1, both "recruited" 9/10th grade, they worked their tail ends off to be in that position. Weekly phone calls to no less than 10 college coaches, editing game tape and compiling into highlights, emailing, completing questionnaires, all while playing Open level club, practice 3 times a week, private lesson once a week, tutor for school once a week and college prep classes carrying a 3.6+ GPA. The recruiting process is hard work and mentally exhausting for all involved at any level.

Edited by endoftime
Clarification

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few thoughts to supplement the discussion.

Rich Kern's recruiting registry is a great site to use for your daughters profile too. It's free and is a verifiable source for coaches to use. I know that many do, but they also use the other sites too. In this day and age college coaches cant afford not too.

Rich Kern Recruiting Registry

I would still say the bottom line is this.

*Create one profile in full detail, and keep it updated. Update however many other online profiles you choose to create from the main one.

*Make 3 minute video highlights on a regular basis and post on youtube. link the profile and the video's to each other.

*Get evaluated by your director and a trusted coach as to what level you/your daughter is capable of playing

*Write a ton of emails to colleges and follow-up the ones who answer with phone calls and more emails.

*Ask coach where you are on their list.

*Ask If they have scholarship money for your position in your particular class.

*Ask if the offer will be a 2-2, 3-1, or 4year full ride for D1. Average parental contribution if D2 D3 or NAIA.

I've added a great site which will help you learn everything you need to know about the process. Enjoy.

The College Volleyball Coach

• 2 weeks later...