Cactus and succulents growers?

SportsGuy41017

Ok, so, in an attempt to find another relaxing hobby (Dr. advised it), before my Euro Tour 2015 part 1 in July I started to get into the hobby of growing cactus and succulents, I must say, I am enjoying it and I have a few more plants on their way that I have ordered online that will really add a lot to my collection. So easy to take care of (unless you work for Home Depot or Walmart is appears).

Please don't tell me that I am the only one out of the 1,000's of people on BGP that grows cactus and succulents?

I won't call myself a succulent gardener, but in a quest to find something that would grow in some poor soil, total sun areas I threw out some daisy mix this summer. Some succulents must have been a part of the mix, because I have several and they are doing well. Now I'm trying to identify them and see what I need to do to keep them going.

As an aside, I now also have a really impressive, thriving array of flowers in the daisy family in all of my flower beds. Gives me hope I can turn around this area where nothing but weeds would grow previously. I am combating the effects of a site prep for the house that removed all the top soil, and after 2 summers, all the work is paying off. I also planted about 16 Rose of Sharon plants and all but one have thrived this summer. All were planted as shoots no larger than 6"high at the beginning of the summer and most are at least 3 feet tall now, sone approaching 4'. Three have had blooms already!

RM, I called a few cactus nurseries out west to find out some information on growing them, of course that led me to seeing more that I want.

There are some cactus that do well outside in NKY all year long, a few streets away there is a pricky pear cactus that is of decent size planted in the yard. The nurseries said that there are just a few that if cared for can survive the weather here.

I would Google USDA Hardiness Zone and succulents, maybe you can find some something? I know there are some that can withstand cold weather.

There are two that I have that some would get a kick out of if I were to put a photo of them on here. lol

I've grown (or they have grown in spite of me) 2 different types.

Portulaca. The only plant I ever have much luck with outside in the summer. Simple easy to care for. Plant and maybe give some water once every couple weeks if you remember. Great flowers.

Christmas Cactus. Had one for about 20 years. Still have a hard time getting it to bloom on time.

• 3 weeks later...

Not all, but most of my cactus. I am putting a 30" X 6' photo of a desert with cactus on that wall as soon as it comes in. This is above a fireplace, with two indoor flood light type lights with 100 watt grow bulbs in each, set to a timer. I have one more big container elsewhere in the house like the bigger one shown, as well as about 8 aloe vera plants. It's a little messy as I just mixed perlite in all of the pots.

cactus photo - Copy.jpg