Is Mayfield............

Ram

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard question to answer, I tend to teeter back on fourth on this as I ponder the Cards new offensive line. Given the losses to the other usual suspects my short answer would be yes. In particular, DeSales and CAL lost a lot more than did the Cards who have some very special skill positions that are loaded and will be lethal if and when the line develops. Recent history has found rebuilt Cardinal lines like last years ready to go right out of the gate

As the preview states... two resumes that are very close.

The DeSales 2014 team beats the Mayfield 2014 team by 2-3 TD's IMHO

With that said, DeSales basically lost every playmaker they had had on each side of the ball with the exception of Johnson. Mayfield returns basically every playmaker, but has to rebuild the line.

In small class football great individual players carry a little more weight than the bigger classes.... but the gap between the two is minimal at best and it can be argued either way.

Mayfield and DeSales are about as close to having a No.1 and 1a as you'll ever see. If Mayfield were still in 1A, both they and DeSales would be heavy favorites to win it all in their respective classes. When the margin is so small, I usually side with the defending class champion(in this case DeSales).

For that reason alone, I've got DeSales at #1 ..... for now.

Interestingly, the same scenario could play out in 5A as well. Highlands(4A champs) abdicating their throne, so to speak, to potentially lock horns with 5A champs Pulaski.

In small class football great individual players carry a little more weight than the bigger classes.... but the gap between the two is minimal at best and it can be argued either way.

Very good point. I'd also add that the advantage could go to Mayfield simply because it is an odd year and any potential playoff matchup between Mayfield and DeSales (or CAL) would be at Mayfield. With teams that seem to be almost equal you have to search further down the line to find a distinguishing difference between the two.

Interestingly, the same scenario could play out in 5A as well. Highlands(4A champs) abdicating their throne, so to speak, to potentially lock horns with 5A champs Pulaski.

Don't forget Bowling Green is also in that class.

Look for the Class 5A Preview later this week.

As the preview says ... two resumes that are very close.

With that said, DeSales basically lost every playmaker they had had on each side of the ball with the exception of Johnson. Mayfield returns basically every playmaker, but has to rebuild the line.

I disagree with the bold above. I think that is a pick'em game and I go with Mayfield. Mayfield actually had a better strength of schedule than DeSales and Mayfield's only loss was a one point loss to a highly rated 6A school vs DeSales getting shut out by their 2A rival. Mayfield also had a shutout win over the number 3 ranked 5A school in the state.

Since it looks like Mayfield has more talent returning than DeSales, I agree with Mayfield being number 1.

As the preview states... two resumes that are very close.

Man, you are going to have to explain that statement. DeSales could very well have beaten them, but to say confidently they would do it by as many as 3 td's I'd say teeters on madness.

Man, you are going to have to explain that statement. DeSales could very well have beaten them, but to say confidently they would do it by as many as 3 td's I'd say teeters on madness.

Just my eyeball test from watching the same two teams play Championship Weekend.

I don't want to say I was disappointed with Mayfield... and maybe they just laid an egg... but the Mayfield team I saw play Williamsburg would have been brutalized in the trenches against a bigger, deeper, and stronger DeSales team.

I saw one defense that was probably the best defensive unit that took the field the entire weekend... and one defense that appeared to be on of the most vulnerable of the entire weekend.

In 2013 I wouldn't say that.. and once again maybe it was just an off day for Mayfield against a spirited Williamsburg...but for my uneductaed viewpoint DeSales would have been a nightmare matchup for Mayfield in 2014

Just my eyeball test from watching the same two teams play Championship Weekend.

I don't want to say I was disappointed with Mayfield... and maybe they just laid an egg... but the Mayfield team I saw play Williamsburg would have been brutalized in the trenches against a bigger, deeper, and stronger DeSales team.

I saw one defense that was probably the best defensive unit that took the field the entire weekend... and one defense that appeared to be on of the most vulnerable of the entire weekend.

In 2013 I wouldn't say that.. and once again maybe it was just an off day for Mayfield against a spirited Williamsburg...but for my uneductaed viewpoint DeSales would have been a nightmare matchup for Mayfield in 2014

I don't think you saw the best version of Mayfield that night, for sure. I think between the two I would give Mayfield the nod if both brought their A game, but I don't think Mayfield could have had an off night and against DeSales and walked away with a victory the way they did against Williamsburg.

A lot will be answered this Friday evening during the scrimmage. Mayfield will be good but the line will say if they are great....

Find it hard to believe anyone would say DeSales would have beaten Mayfield handily last season. Could DeSales have beaten them? Yes, but Mayfield visa versa.....just look at the Murray games both teams common opponent.

I think the last game for each team is what a lot of people are looking at when they compare these two teams. Mayfield was lucky to survive the championship game against a decent Williamsburg team while DeSales won handily over a NCC.

Maybe Mayfield beats DeSales, but based off of the last game each played only...DeSales looked 2-3 TDs better.