Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Anyone offended by these flags?

Featured Replies

The difference is…the Stars and Stripes represents freedom no matter what disrespect may be shown. The Stars and Bars represents disrespect.

 

 

 

 

Native Americans may disagree.

  • Replies 96
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually wrote a letter to Rep. Anne Northup while I was in college about amending the Flag Code to more accurately reflect the free speech and free expression principles enshrined in the Constitution of these United States rather than try to curtail any such expression, especially when some prohibited behaviors are used as a sign of devotion and affection for this country.

 

There's the reason violations of the Flag Code carry no penalties.

 

But that doesn't preclude those violations from offending some who believe in them.

Native Americans may disagree.

 

Full circle Cat...

But that doesn't preclude those violations from offending some who believe in them.

 

What's your point? That a broke dude living in a basement apartment that sticks an American flag up in his window rather than buy curtains should bother me? That it should bother me as much as a symbol of racism so pernicious and deeply ingrained that it led men to treason?

Because it disrespects a symbol that stand for equality ?

 

So wearing my shirt with the flag of my country (which stands for Freedom and Equality, btw) because I'm proud of it is the same as wearing a shirt or flying a flag that represents racism and bigotry? Is that what you're saying?

c. The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

 

This is the one that always got me. Interpretation of Section C suggests that the following is disrespectful to the flag:

 

footballflag.jpg

 

Do we agree? Or is there room for interpretation and leeway of these rules depending on the intention of wielder(s)?

Been out there for decades. Imagine being the only black dude in a high school history class when this conversation is being had.

 

I bet there were a few transracials in there who just hadn't come out of the closet yet. Lol

Flag being used as a "wrap" at the finish of sporting events, torn flags not being taken down and properly disposed of, flags flown at half staff without proper state authorization, "flag like" clothing being manufactured and worn....all are specific abuses of our Nation's flag, yet no one seems to get bent out of shape about the lack of respect for the flag we have chosen to represent our nation.

I had this discussion with my veteran father just a few days ago. I agree that most don't know or follow proper flag ettiquite. However, the confederate flag issue is still quite a different ball of wax.

I am on record of not liking the Confederate Flag. That being said,

 

I find it fascinating that no one had started a thread long ago about their hatred of the flag. If it has been so offensive to many posters for so long, why no thread until now? Why did it take a horrendous act by a racist idiot to get you to voice your opinion?

I am on record of not liking the Confederate Flag. That being said,

 

I find it fascinating that no one had started a thread long ago about their hatred of the flag. If it has been so offensive to many posters for so long, why no thread until now? Why did it take a horrendous act by a racist idiot to get you to voice your opinion?

 

Truth be told, I don't think about it very often. I didn't even know the South Carolina statehouse was still flying it until all this dust-up started. I remember this flared up big time in another state sometime in the late 90s and to be honest, I thought we'd gotten rid of them then.

I am on record of not liking the Confederate Flag. That being said,

 

I find it fascinating that no one had started a thread long ago about their hatred of the flag. If it has been so offensive to many posters for so long, why no thread until now? Why did it take a horrendous act by a racist idiot to get you to voice your opinion?

 

http://bluegrasspreps.com/controversial-issues/confederate-flag-dress-234590.html

 

http://bluegrasspreps.com/controversial-issues/new-georgia-license-272417.html

I am on record of not liking the Confederate Flag. That being said,

 

I find it fascinating that no one had started a thread long ago about their hatred of the flag. If it has been so offensive to many posters for so long, why no thread until now? Why did it take a horrendous act by a racist idiot to get you to voice your opinion?

 

Because for decades since I have been in high school having a discussion about the confederate flag and what it represents turns into a revisionist history lesson on the Civil War and preserving heritage. Hell, look at this thread. It's gone from do these obscure flags that only flag lovers know about bother you also to how come nobody whines about the disrespect of the U.S. Flag.

 

That deflection crap about a flag that every single one of us knows symbolizes the flag bearers as a redneck chicken crap racist gets super old real quick. I've pretty much quietly unfollowed every single one of my redneck Facebook friends that have whined about "not being able to preserve their heritage" over the last few days. I'd unfriend them all together but I don't feel like having hollow conversations about their heritage when they actually recognize their one black friend disappeared.

Much like a swastika.

 

The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism.

 

There comes a time when the warped impression overcomes the original intent. If the acts committed in the name of loyalty to that flag or symbol are so heinous that they are condemned, so too should the flag or symbol.

Because for decades since I have been in high school having a discussion about the confederate flag and what it represents turns into a revisionist history lesson on the Civil War and preserving heritage. Hell, look at this thread. It's gone from do these obscure flags that only flag lovers know about bother you also to how come nobody whines about the disrespect of the U.S. Flag.

 

That deflection crap about a flag that every single one of us knows symbolizes the flag bearers as a redneck chicken crap racist gets super old real quick. I've pretty much quietly unfollowed every single one of my redneck Facebook friends that have whined about "not being able to preserve their heritage" over the last few days. I'd unfriend them all together but I don't feel like having hollow conversations about their heritage when they actually recognize their one black friend disappeared.

I get it if you are a civil war historian and some preserved artifacts are your thing, but let's be honest. The vast majority of the folks I've come across that are displaying the Confederate Flag on their front bumpers are not going to be confused for historians or displaying it for that reason. I cringe every time I see one.

 

There was one from the mid 2000's here in KY. One of our local judges represented the girl in this case when he was an attorney.

 

USATODAY.com - Student settles over Confederate dress

 

promdress.jpg

 

Jacqueline Duty, holding her Confederate flag-themed prom dress, speaks to the press outside the Federal Courthouse in Lexington, Ky. in 2004.

 

By Pablo Alcala, The Herald Leader via AP

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.