Looking to Start Investing

BIG BLACK JACK

Need some advice as I'm leaning towards going through Vanguard instead of one of the Brokerage Service firms so that I can maximize returns.

ETFs or Mutual Funds?

I'm looking at putting a large percentage in large cap indexes, then trickle some in mid cap and small cap, as well as international indexes if I go the Mutual Fund route.

Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated.

Time frame on the investment and your goal will have a big impact on how you invest. Your appetite for risk is also key. How actively are you going to manage the investments?

Pay attention to what is going on currently instead of taking a standard off the shelf approach. Small and mid caps are performing well this year. Indexes will probably underperform active managers this year. Japan and India are hot economies if you can find a way to invest in those types of stocks funds.

As for a trading platform I hear a lot of good stuff about TD Ameritrade

I'm young (26), so plan on putting a big chunk in now and then reinvesting dividends, as well as making some contributions through the years.

Definitely a long-term thing that I want to get started ASAP.

I'm a stock guy instead of a mutual fund or an ETF.

Need some advice as I'm leaning towards going through Vanguard instead of one of the Brokerage Service firms so that I can maximize returns.

ETFs or Mutual Funds?

I'm looking at putting a large percentage in large cap indexes, then trickle some in mid cap and small cap, as well as international indexes if I go the Mutual Fund route.

Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated.

Everything I have is through Vanguard.....401K, ESA's, Roth's, including my FedEx pension account.

I like Mutual Funds, but they take time.

Stocks are better for short term but you have to research and monitor closely. Stop-Loss orders are important to use on the stocks.

If you're looking for a retirement account, big name stocks like Apple and P&G will pretty much increase forever. At least it seems like it.

Stocks are better for short term but you have to research and monitor closely. Stop-Loss orders are important to use on the stocks.

If you're looking for a retirement account, big name stocks like Apple and P&G will pretty much increase forever. At least it seems like it.

For almost 25 years Apple was flat but since sometime in the 2004/2005 range it's been outstanding. I like their current situation but I would not project a ten year performance out over a long term without a better historical performance. Tech is a bear.

I am going to challenge you on each of the following:

"Stock are better for short term"

"Apple and P&G will pretty much increase forever"

Your thoughts?

I am going to challenge you on each of the following:

"Stock are better for short term"

"Apple and P&G will pretty much increase forever"

Your thoughts?

Not thoughts to live by, but (in my little experience) playing stocks, cheap ones like

Regarding P&G and Apple, their recent success shows to me that they will continue to improve. P & G pays high yields at 2% annually and in the long term (years) has been improving. I'd say since they produce such a wide range of products and continue to debut new ones, their stock will continue to rise because they are A) a trusted, reliable brand in retail and B) they keep pace with technology.

Apple is a similar situation, expect in the Technology Sector, which is supposed to take off as we go into the future. JMO. As I said, not rules to live by.

I love the input/responses. This is the exact reason I post on this site: To learn from others who have more education, knowledge, and experience than me.