May 28, 201511 yr The thread title should say "Cal to remain at UK.....this season". Kidding. At the same time we all know that trees can get uprooted so there is no reason to believe Cal can't be uprooted. I can see him retiring at UK and I can see him leaving UK. Nothing would surprise me. I hope he stays. He's been great for UK and for college basketball. He'll never have a better life or coaching gig regardless of where he would end up at in the NBA.
May 28, 201511 yr Not saying it didn't happen but you can't believe everything on the internet. Nobody else backed up that claim. I'm an "internet writer" that has scooped the traditional media a bunch of times. It happens...
May 28, 201511 yr Maybe the grind of recruiting grows old? As well as being held responsible for things that you might not even know about when 18-22 year olds are doing something stupid. Just throwing out random things, I have no idea. My guess is the grind in pro sports is far worse.
May 29, 201511 yr I'm an "internet writer" that has scooped the traditional media a bunch of times. It happens... My only problem with him was he said one of Cals friends told him. How does he know one of Cals friends and why are they only going to tell him? It just seemed too far fetched for me. Not saying it didn't happen but it didn't add up
May 29, 201511 yr My only problem with him was he said one of Cals friends told him. How does he know one of Cals friends and why are they only going to tell him? It just seemed too far fetched for me. Not saying it didn't happen but it didn't add up That's fair...
May 29, 201511 yr I'm an "internet writer" that has scooped the traditional media a bunch of times. It happens... I'm not saying anything negative about the Internet writer but saying you can't believe everything you read.
May 29, 201511 yr I'm not saying anything negative about the Internet writer but saying you can't believe everything you read. The key is knowing the level of the writer, not who they work for... :thumb:
May 29, 201511 yr The key is knowing the level of the writer, not who they work for... :thumb: I agree. But like I'm saying you can't believe everything you read.
May 30, 201511 yr Not saying it didn't happen but you can't believe everything on the internet. Nobody else backed up that claim. I'd say point taken, but I already knew that. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night...and all that type stuff. My thought process is fairly simple on this particular point. However it broke ( I have zero idea) it gained enough traction for ESPN to go to "breaking news" and put this guy on national TV. I caught part of what he said and he seemed pretty even-keeled and matter-of-fact about the whole scenario. Seemed credible enough to me, and I had no idea if the guy was an "internet writer" or the beat guy for the Times-Picayune. And to your quoted, you can't believe everything people tell you either. No matter how this went down, the Pelicans are going to "no comment" the heck out of everything now, and Cal isn't going to say anything other than "I love my job." As for believing, what you see or hear, here's my stance on Cal. If the guy walked into my living room soaking wet and said, "man it's pouring outside," the first thing I'd do is go look out the window. Is there a Cal to the Bulls thread yet? They have some SEC guys, plus his boy Rose. And, AD is from Chicago.
May 31, 201511 yr I should keep some variation of this on autotext since this stuff comes up so often: Any NBA owner looking to hire Calipari will have to be ready to make him the highest-paid coach in the league. Right now, with the recent contract extension he received, Calipari makes more than every coach in the NBA not named Doc Rivers, who makes $10 million a year. Any NBA owner looking to hire Calipari at that pay level must also ask himself if that salary is worth it for someone who was a failure as an NBA coach his first time around. Why would that NBA owner not instead pay $2 million to $3 million for one of the army of NBA retread coaches out there and pocket the difference, when there's zero guarantee Calipari can recreate his recent college success, which is overwhelmingly predicated on his prowess on the HS/AAU recruiting trail?
June 1, 201511 yr Just my personal opinion. Based on nothing but a gut feeling. I think when Cal leaves UK it will be for the ESPN booth. I don't know if he'll finish out his contract. He'd be 63 if he did that.
June 8, 201511 yr I don't get why any college bball or fball guy should feel the need to go pro. You make as much if not more in college and play less games. Larry Brown explained in an interview I watched. In the college game you have academics , recruiting, and limitations on practice time to worry about. In the NBA, it's all about basketball and that's it.
June 9, 201511 yr Possibly but that's why you pay Kenny Payne 700k a year. My guess is that as with anything in life you get bored or sick of it. But certain gigs where you are royalty would be hard to leave. Well he basically even admitted last week in an interview that the Cavs job was a job he really was considering but all the players returning made him realize he can't leave. UK is a great job to have and you are royalty. However it is a very demanding job. At UK you Dont just have the coaching part, you have the recruiting part and well all the other stuff outside of basketball that we want UK coaches to do. So if a job came along that paid him as well and he knew he could win at, it probably would be an easier gig than here. But it is going to take the right job to come along to get him.
June 12, 201511 yr Well he basically even admitted last week in an interview that the Cavs job was a job he really was considering but all the players returning made him realize he can't leave. UK is a great job to have and you are royalty. However it is a very demanding job. At UK you Dont just have the coaching part' date=' you have the recruiting part and well all the other stuff outside of basketball that we want UK coaches to do. So if a job came along that paid him as well and he knew he could win at, it probably would be an easier gig than here. But it is going to take the right job to come along to get him.[/quote'] It doesn't get any "righter" than the Cavs. In terms of paying him well, it would take 8-10 a year for an old guy who failed once already.
June 12, 201511 yr If Coach Cal were to go to Cleveland, he would have to share power & authority with Coach Lebron. Cal would go from being A-number-one, top of the list, king of the hill, A-number-1... to co-Coach of the Cavs. Not sure how well that would work out for either of them.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.