Where is Putin?

For the past few months I have been hearing that there are strong disagreements among Putin's inner circle, and that after the killing of Boris Nemtsov some are at each others throats.

"Russian President Vladimir Putin has disappeared. Well, not literally, but he hasn't been seen in public for a full week and reports about his schedule on the presidential website seem suspect. The Kremlin denies that he is ill, and the Russian blogosphere is abuzz with speculation.

It's still impossible for an outsider to tell where Putin is, or what he's up to. But it isn't too early to draw conclusions from this episode. It offers evidence enough that Russia has become an outright dictatorship. No other kind of state would be so opaque, nor its citizens so preoccupied with their ruler."

Putin Disappears Like a Dictator

For the past few months I have been hearing that there are strong disagreements among Putin's inner circle, and that after the killing of Boris Nemtsov some are at each others throats.

"Russian President Vladimir Putin has disappeared. Well, not literally, but he hasn't been seen in public for a full week and reports about his schedule on the presidential website seem suspect. The Kremlin denies that he is ill, and the Russian blogosphere is abuzz with speculation.

It's still impossible for an outsider to tell where Putin is, or what he's up to. But it isn't too early to draw conclusions from this episode. It offers evidence enough that Russia has become an outright dictatorship. No other kind of state would be so opaque, nor its citizens so preoccupied with their ruler."

Putin Disappears Like a Dictator

Is Putin still as popular in Russia as he was not too many months ago? If he popularity is plummeting, staying out of public eye may be strategic hoping the populace will go on with the lives and hope things settle down.

Define "popular". I forget his approval numbers, but they were up there. But who was doing the polling? I don't trust those numbers. Me being a Democrat can look at a few different polls in the U.S. on a Republican and can see the general area of approval, you won't have one with 80% and others with 40% or 50%. But in Russia you have the State running the polls.

But since he is basically a dictator, him being out of sight for even a couple of days will get people to wonder and rumors swirling. Many, and I will say most over there don't like him, but Putin has created a dictatorship that people also worry what would happen if he is gone? Who will fill his spot?

I just checked, there are so many links out there now to list. But just Google Putin, A lot of interesting stuff.

What's happening to Putin? - Business Insider

"While the talk is pretty speculative and quite wild now, it is clearly irking the Russians," Mark Galeotti, a New York University professor specializing in global affairs and Russian and Slavic studies, told Business Insider by email. "If Putin doesn't show in the next day or so or if all we get are some press stills, then that will suggest something serious is up — and the succession struggle begins."

Tom Nichols, a professor at the US Naval War College and a senior associate at the Carnegie Council on Ethics and International Affairs, echoed Galeotti's view.

"I have no idea whether Putin is dead, but there is clearly something going on that the Kremlin is working hard to hide," Nichols told Business Insider.

If Putin is incapacitated, the Kremlin may try to keep that information tightly under wraps until all factions within the government have agreed to a successor.

Constitutionally, "Medvedev would take over as acting president for 90 days," Nichols said. "It's how Putin himself became president in 1999."

"But no, there is no way the Kremlin would announce [Putin's death] until all the deals have been cut," Nichols added.

Putin's absence might end up having nothing to do with his health. There's a possibility that Nemtsov's killing, which may have been ordered by someone within the Kremlin, has exposed fissures inside the Russian elite that Putin is struggling to control. The media absence may be cover for a power play that further enhances Putin's control — or he may be working to quash some kind of now unseen palace unrest.

The Kremlin is preparing for a an event on Red Square, but no one has any idea of what it is, and nothing was scheduled. This on top of false news reports and false information from the Kremlin about supposed meetings that Putin has had in the past days.

If Putin doesn't pop up by afternoon our time tomorrow, I would then expect this thread to be hopping.

Today the Kremlin was asked about the rumors that Putin is missing. The response from the Kremlin spokesman "no commet".

They are getting all of their little deals and agreements including immunity worked out.

BTW, Nemtsov's report on Ukraine is due out in a few weeks, it is sad to have a lot of damaging evidence on the Kremlin.

Also, a new documentry is out on Putin, it says he was ready to put his nukes on alert status over the Ukraine conflict.

Well, now the trip that he was supposed to have taken place last week to Kazakhstan will now happen this Friday.

It was also said that Putin put 40,000 troops on full alert for military exercises with the northern fleet.

No mentioned of his meeting today in Saint Petersburg with the Kyrgyzstan president being canceled. For the next two weeks Moscow is 7 hours ahead of us, so just about 1:00pm there now. It won't be too much longer that this meeting is supposed to take place.

Oh, and there still hasn't been any sightings of Putin. What are the odds he doesn't show for that meeting today? And if he doesn't I have a theory on this whole military exercise.