What is the process and accountability of evaluating basketball officials?

Birdbrain vehemently disagrees!! :wideyed:

Don't put words in my mouth...you still have not come up with a better solution. BTW: I never said grab a whistle, would prefer to keep positive, solution oriented people working in kids sports.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would want to be an official, and I LOVE THE GAME.

I've had many people tell me I would make a good official .. I played, coached, and know the rule book fairly well .. but I have no intention of trying for one reason: the idiots in the stands. If I only had to deal with the players and the coaches, I'd do it for free. But the inane, vehement comments that come out of people's mouths directed at officials based on a $5 admission borderlines on barbaric. And the majority of the time, the comments are simply wrong ... people don't know the intricacies of the actual rules.

Here's a suggestion: most schools conduct a pre-season "meet the team" night, where there's typically intra-squad games being played. As part of that evening, have some officials show up, give them a microphone, and have them explain some of the most common misconceptions of the game.

-explain verticality (Rule 4-45), and that there is no such thing as "over the back"

-explain to everyone EXACTLY what Legal Guarding Position is. Use players to demonstrate when LGP begins, when it breaks off, how an offensive player can be legally guarded by two separate defenders, and the count continues. (Rule 4-10, 9-10)

-explain block/charge (Rule 4-7), what a defender must do to establish position

-explain over and back (how all three points must be established in frontcourt before a backcourt violation can occur) (Rule 4-4-3)

-explain how, on an inbounds play, an offensive player can legally jump from frontcourt to backcourt and NOT be in violation (Rule 9-9)

-explain how the TOP of the backboard is in bounds, but OVER the backboard is out (Rule 7-1-2)

-I could go on .. there are many misconceptions

Then, allow Q&A. In 15-20 minutes, a group of officials could educate a fan base and largely eliminate a majority of griping during a game.

Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would want to be an official, and I LOVE THE GAME.

I've had many people tell me I would make a good official .. I played, coached, and know the rule book fairly well .. but I have no intention of trying for one reason: the idiots in the stands. If I only had to deal with the players and the coaches, I'd do it for free. But the inane, vehement comments that come out of people's mouths directed at officials based on a $5 admission borderlines on barbaric. And the majority of the time, the comments are simply wrong ... people don't know the intricacies of the actual rules.

Here's a suggestion: most schools conduct a pre-season "meet the team" night, where there's typically intra-squad games being played. As part of that evening, have some officials show up, give them a microphone, and have them explain some of the most common misconceptions of the game.

-explain verticality (Rule 4-45), and that there is no such thing as "over the back"

-explain to everyone EXACTLY what Legal Guarding Position is. Use players to demonstrate when LGP begins, when it breaks off, how an offensive player can be legally guarded by two separate defenders, and the count continues. (Rule 4-10, 9-10)

-explain block/charge (Rule 4-7), what a defender must do to establish position

-explain over and back (how all three points must be established in frontcourt before a backcourt violation can occur) (Rule 4-4-3)

-explain how, on an inbounds play, an offensive player can legally jump from frontcourt to backcourt and NOT be in violation (Rule 9-9)

-explain how the TOP of the backboard is in bounds, but OVER the backboard is out (Rule 7-1-2)

-I could go on .. there are many misconceptions

Then, allow Q&A. In 15-20 minutes, a group of officials could educate a fan base and largely eliminate a majority of griping during a game.

Great idea. Do you think the fans that make the comments above would attend ?

• 2 weeks later...