Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why is the Sunday Church Crowd the Rudest and Cheapest Customers ?

Featured Replies

 

This has been my experience as well. Always hated waiting on the pious types, especially the ones who are going out to dinner so that they can adhere to some sense of religiousness by not working on Sunday. They're more than happy to make somebody else bust their butts for them, though.

 

Never heard of a religion that wouldn't let you cook on Sunday and forced you to go out to eat...they should promote that more, I bet they'd get tons of women (&men) tired of cooking Sunday dinner to join.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My experience as a waiter was that tips were usually worse during Sunday lunch, but that day and time usually saw an influx of elderly customers who still thought that 10% was a good tip. Couple that with the fact that the average check was lower due to lots of soup and salad orders and a lack of alcoholic beverages. Never really got a sense that that crowd was overly rude. I feel that the low tips were more an effect of the age of the customers and not really related to religious affiliations.

Perhaps not always popular to others, I typically find the questions you SF pose and the topics you present as being thought provoking and worthy of analysis and discussion, however this one feels like quite a stretch, and no matter how accurate an observation, it painfully feels subjective and nowhere near your usual scientific approach.

 

I've come to expect more from you in this arena of discussion, but in this case it feels more like a grasping at straws to further your anti-relgion agenda. Your observation might be a somewhat true byproduct of church types' behavior, but with you presenting such a subjective matter, it screams more so about your personal anti-christian/religious obsession than anything else.

 

If you ever stood the chance of gaining any ground with your perspective and making some strong believers think further outside of the box, this would probably not be the way to do it as it seems more like a step backward approach that can all too painfully be read through, and lacks any real depth to garner any true valuable data worthy of any scientific analysis.

 

At the end of the day, it's merely a subjective non-scientific observation presented with a particular slant that could easily be refuted with an opposite slant depending on who's doing the observing.

This isn't the first time I've heard the Sunday after church crowd is the worst tippers. I don't find it hard to believe, and is also one of the reasons I always tip above 20%, and always round my tip up, and make my bill an even number. For example if my bill comes to $32.16 I would tip at least $6.84 to make it $39.00. If the waitress is exceptionally good, I would tip $7.84 or $8.84 on that same bill amount. I usually go to the same 1 or two restaurants after church, so most of the waitress staff knows I tip well, and I always get excellent service.

 

Last night I ate at a local restaurant, that believe it or not, I had never dined at before. When the bill came he had put on a charge for stuffed mushrooms for $7.99 that I didnt' order, but had left off my bowl of seafood gumbo for $3.99. I pointed this out to him, and he fixed the bill, but told me he took the mushrooms off, but didn't charge me for the gumbo because it was too much trouble to try and add that on to the bill. I'm not sure why that would have been too much trouble, but I was so appreciative of the free gumbo, that I didn't have the heart to use my buy one dinner entree, get one free coupon. And I ended up tipping him over 30%.

This isn't the first time I've heard the Sunday after church crowd is the worst tippers. I don't find it hard to believe, and is also one of the reasons I always tip above 20%, and always round my tip up, and make my bill an even number. For example if my bill comes to $32.16 I would tip at least $6.84 to make it $39.00. If the waitress is exceptionally good, I would tip $7.84 or $8.84 on that same bill amount. I usually go to the same 1 or two restaurants after church, so most of the waitress staff knows I tip well, and I always get excellent service.

 

Same.

This isn't the first time I've heard the Sunday after church crowd is the worst tippers. I don't find it hard to believe, and is also one of the reasons I always tip above 20%, and always round my tip up, and make my bill an even number. For example if my bill comes to $32.16 I would tip at least $6.84 to make it $39.00. If the waitress is exceptionally good, I would tip $7.84 or $8.84 on that same bill amount. I usually go to the same 1 or two restaurants after church, so most of the waitress staff knows I tip well, and I always get excellent service.

 

Last night I ate at a local restaurant, that believe it or not, I had never dined at before. When the bill came he had put on a charge for stuffed mushrooms for $7.99 that I didnt' order, but had left off my bowl of seafood gumbo for $3.99. I pointed this out to him, and he fixed the bill, but told me he took the mushrooms off, but didn't charge me for the gumbo because it was too much trouble to try and add that on to the bill. I'm not sure why that would have been too much trouble, but I was so appreciative of the free gumbo, that I didn't have the heart to use my buy one dinner entree, get one free coupon. And I ended up tipping him over 30%.

 

Same.

 

Agreed, and I do the same.

As a member of a "Black" Church, I would say that we act the way we do because we are tired and hungry from being at Church for 4 Hours!

See:

This isn't the first time I've heard the Sunday after church crowd is the worst tippers. I don't find it hard to believe, and is also one of the reasons I always tip above 20%, and always round my tip up, and make my bill an even number. For example if my bill comes to $32.16 I would tip at least $6.84 to make it $39.00. If the waitress is exceptionally good, I would tip $7.84 or $8.84 on that same bill amount. I usually go to the same 1 or two restaurants after church, so most of the waitress staff knows I tip well, and I always get excellent service.

 

Last night I ate at a local restaurant, that believe it or not, I had never dined at before. When the bill came he had put on a charge for stuffed mushrooms for $7.99 that I didnt' order, but had left off my bowl of seafood gumbo for $3.99. I pointed this out to him, and he fixed the bill, but told me he took the mushrooms off, but didn't charge me for the gumbo because it was too much trouble to try and add that on to the bill. I'm not sure why that would have been too much trouble, but I was so appreciative of the free gumbo, that I didn't have the heart to use my buy one dinner entree, get one free coupon. And I ended up tipping him over 30%.

 

Any time I get something free (if it wasn't caused by bad service), I always throw whatever the amount of the free item was onto the tip.

Of course, she could be a bad server, which many times leads to bad tips. One usually correlates with the other. But being a scientists I thought you would know this variable and put it into your equation. You did not. I have concluded that this study is invalid. Now, where's my red pen?:D

  • Author
Yes, it gets VERY tiresome. You don't believe, we get that, move on.

 

 

The hypocrisy of Christians is what bothers me. If you people(I'm mean Christians) can't clean up your own act, how can you expect to draw others in to the fold. There was an article in our local paper by a retired Episcopal preacher yesterday saying the same thing. Folks on the outside are looking at you Christians and saying if that's what Christian love is all about then I want no part of it. I know Christians don't like truth and light shined on them. They would rather folks like me just go away rather than having to look inward.

The hypocrisy of Christians is what bothers me. If you people(I'm mean Christians) can't clean up your own act, how can you expect to draw others in to the fold. There was an article in our local paper by a retired Episcopal preacher yesterday saying the same thing. Folks on the outside are looking at you Christians and saying if that's what Christian love is all about then I want no part of it. I know Christians don't like truth and light shined on them. They would rather folks like me just go away rather than having to look inward.

 

You dwell on the exceptions. The true Christians I know are lovely folks, and those folks I know would pray for you.

This isn't the first time I've heard the Sunday after church crowd is the worst tippers. I don't find it hard to believe, and is also one of the reasons I always tip above 20%, and always round my tip up, and make my bill an even number. For example if my bill comes to $32.16 I would tip at least $6.84 to make it $39.00. If the waitress is exceptionally good, I would tip $7.84 or $8.84 on that same bill amount. I usually go to the same 1 or two restaurants after church, so most of the waitress staff knows I tip well, and I always get excellent service.

 

Last night I ate at a local restaurant, that believe it or not, I had never dined at before. When the bill came he had put on a charge for stuffed mushrooms for $7.99 that I didnt' order, but had left off my bowl of seafood gumbo for $3.99. I pointed this out to him, and he fixed the bill, but told me he took the mushrooms off, but didn't charge me for the gumbo because it was too much trouble to try and add that on to the bill. I'm not sure why that would have been too much trouble, but I was so appreciative of the free gumbo, that I didn't have the heart to use my buy one dinner entree, get one free coupon. And I ended up tipping him over 30%.

 

Same.

 

I was told by someone not too long ago that rounding your tip up to even numbers like that is a hassle for servers. I forget exactly how it was phrased to me. In other words, I took it as you should tip an even amount vs. an odd number that I guess causes more math for the sever at the end of the night but again I have no idea here.

 

Anyone?

I know some of you think I am a hater, and some of you have even accused me of using a second account to spread the hate (really disappointed in those of you that did that - maybe you should look in the mirror) but in short I would like to see preachers preach about this in church. I think bringing it up in church would be doing everyone a favor.

I was told by someone not too long ago that rounding your tip up to even numbers like that is a hassle for servers. I forget exactly how it was phrased to me. In other words, I took it as you should tip an even amount vs. an odd number that I guess causes more math for the sever at the end of the night but again I have no idea here.

 

Anyone?

 

I don't see how it would be cumbersome for servers, at least not where I worked. When I was a waiter you kept your own bank of cash in your apron and at the end of the night you would total up all of your cash checks and then had to pay the manager for the total the your customers had spent, whatever cash that was left over was your initial "bank" plus your cash tips. The manager would then total up your credit cards tips and give you cash for these. I would have welcomed the extra cash.

I don't see how it would be cumbersome for servers, at least not where I worked. When I was a waiter you kept your own bank of cash in your apron and at the end of the night you would total up all of your cash checks and then had to pay the manager for the total the your customers had spent, whatever cash that was left over was your initial "bank" plus your cash tips. The manager would then total up your credit cards tips and give you cash for these. I would have welcomed the extra cash.

 

Thanks, and I am a messenger here, probably for another thread but thought it needed to be pointed out.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.