Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mercer / Harrodsburg Consolidation

Featured Replies

Actually I think you guys are missing the boat on Westsider's and 3Wishes posts. They were simply saying that while this is a good thing for Harrodsburg/Mercer (and I think it is) there are some who are adversely effected beyond that county. They aren't saying: "Don't merge because . . ." they are simply stating that your joy in the merger is not the first emotion of many outside of these 2 school systems. It means a lot of work for them to scramble and figure out where their schedules go from here.
Amen, Hatz ... you're a real voice of reason.
  • Replies 221
  • Views 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok then, spoke of..it's been spoke of, so from now on, lets just not give that whole idea of a reason why the merger shouldnt happen, any thought.
No one (repeat, no one) has suggested that as a reason to argue against consolidation. Lighten up ...
I do not care if Harrodsburg/Marecer combine or not, but you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to scheduleing, there are contracts that are being broken in this case, and also forfeit fees that need to be paid, but I would say that in this case most of the schools that Harrodsburg plays would let them out of the contract but they do not have to. And there are more than just 2 schools that would only have 9 games, its not just Trimble and Owen, but what about Danville,Boyle, Frankfort,Carroll,Garrard, and Bellevue. I know where you are coming from,you are being very disrespectful to Trimble and Owen Co. football programs. Just because they are from these places does not mean they should think that playing only 9 games is OK for them. Yes it would be a headline in thier paper. I think that Trimble played Harrodsburg a$$ off last year, only losing by 6 points, so why do you have to disrespect their programs like this? I hope that Harrosburg does not combine and comes to Trimble this year.:fire: :fire: :fight:

 

 

I know exactly what Im talking about when it comes to scheduling. I realize that schools dont have to be let out of contracts without paying some sort of fee, but I also realize that if any schools on H'burgs schedule are left short a game, that they would understand the situation at hand and not expect any sort of payment..which, I think they (opponents) will.

 

...and, lets get one thing straight, I, by NO MEANS meant any disrespect to Trimble or Owen County. If you look back at my posts I listed their names, then "etc."..thinking that maybe, just maybe, you and others that might have gotten you feathers ruffled would realize that I was meaning all schools that might be potentially effected by this merger, and being short a game, not just those schools. I guess that was too much to seriously expect though?! Im sorry that you took it as a slap to Trimble or Owen, because that was not, by any stretch of the imagination a knock against them or their football programs!!!

 

..in saying this, I dont think that any of the schools on H'burgs schedule will be short a game..for their sake, I hope not, but if so, it will just be for ONE year..thats it!! Also, Ill admit it, maybe I am being a little biased or selfish about the whole scheduling thing...but who wouldnt in the case of something like this (merger) happening?! :dancingpa

Now, back to the orignal topic at hand, the actual merger and not opponents possibly playing 9 games for a year and not 10... Anybody have a feel for how things will go tonite with the Board meeting at H'burg? One is scheduled, correct?

Now, back to the orignal topic at hand, the actual merger and not opponents possibly playing 9 games for a year and not 10... Anybody have a feel for how things will go tonite with the Board meeting at H'burg? One is scheduled, correct?

 

 

The Board Meeting is tonight at 5:15 in the board room at Harrodsburg. The only thing on the agenda is a "merger vote". A copy of the merger proposal is suppose to be distributed tonight. I guess that will outline and address the "sports" issues as to whether we will be playing as one team in the fall or still be separate.

 

Whatever the outcome, I feel the student athletes will step it up and be ready to take on the next phase of their sport careers.

The Board Meeting is tonight at 5:15 in the board room at Harrodsburg. The only thing on the agenda is a "merger vote". A copy of the merger proposal is suppose to be distributed tonight. I guess that will outline and address the "sports" issues as to whether we will be playing as one team in the fall or still be separate.

 

Whatever the outcome, I feel the student athletes will step it up and be ready to take on the next phase of their sport careers.

 

 

Thanks for the info, sounds good!! :thumb: Here's hopin it goes through!!

 

and not worry about if this should happen or not because Trimble Co, Owen Co., etc. may only have 9 games next year. Well, wont that just be horrible?!!! Wouldnt that be a headline in a paper...

"H'burg/Mercer merger put off due to two football opponents being short a game for the 2006 season" :laugh:

(

 

Sounds real sarcastic to me, would have been just as easy to say all the schools effected by the scheduling problem, instead of calling out 2, if your going call out 2 why not say Danville and Boyle Co. I see one place in your quote where you say "2 football opponents being short a game for the 2006 season". Who would those 2 be the 2 you mentioned? Good luck to you on your merge, from now on please respect other peoples programs.

It was just announced on WTVQ 36 out of Lexington that the merger is official and will go into effect July 2006.

I believe it will benefit both schools tremendously but have yet to hear any word on Burgin's situation in all this. Does anyone know about that?

 

 

That's a great point. Is there any talk of bringing Burgin into the fold?

It was just announced on WTVQ 36 out of Lexington that the merger is official and will go into effect July 2006.
Interesting. Most systems, it seems, plan these moves a year or so in advance, but this seems to have moved rather quickly.

 

There are a lot of options. The school system could decide to keep the two high schools separate for one more year, with Harrodsburg simply becoming part of the Mercer system.

 

Given the lateness in the fiscal year and other factors (does Mercer now need to add on to its high school?, etc.), that might be a good decision to ease into the transition. That would give more than adequate time for planning for a consolidated high school for the 2007-08 school year.

Frankfort has been working for months to finad a replacement game. I think they have one lined up if the happens,

Interesting. Most systems, it seems, plan these moves a year or so in advance, but this seems to have moved rather quickly.

 

There are a lot of options. The school system could decide to keep the two high schools separate for one more year, with Harrodsburg simply becoming part of the Mercer system.

 

Given the lateness in the fiscal year and other factors (does Mercer now need to add on to its high school?, etc.), that might be a good decision to ease into the transition. That would give more than adequate time for planning for a consolidated high school for the 2007-08 school year.

 

 

I can't say I'm an insider but I believe the actual plans and logistics have been under the table for a while and this decision puts them out on the table and rolling down the road.

 

Here in VA we have just gone through this in our children's schools. There were 4 county High Schools and 1 City school (independent) here. For about 3 years the board talked about consolidation and finally did it 2 years ago and merged 4 High Schools into 2 and it's been beneficial to the county system on an academic and athletic levels. The 2nd year of consolidation took perennial nobody Bassett to the AA semi-finals after making the playoffs their first year of consolidation. In basketball they lost in the state AA semi-finals to crosstown rival Martinsville but it was the farthest the school had ever been. I'm hoping for similarly good things for Mercer-Harrodsburg.

So Harrodsburg and Mercer will remain separate high schools for two more years ...

Interesting dilemma for the KHSAA, football-wise ...

 

The state will re-classify after the 2006 season. Mercer and Harrodsburg, given the current plan, will play separately in 2007, then merge in 2008.

 

In 2008, a consolidated Mercer will have a substantial increase in enrollment. Do the Scotties continue to play in 2A in the second year of a contract cycle, or spend 2007 in 2A district and move up the next season?

 

As for Harrodsburg, they will surely play in Class A in 2007, then dissolve altogether. That will leave 10 opponents scrambling for a game in 2008, and could call for some creative schedule juggling.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.