Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WANTED! New Coach at Greenup County

Featured Replies

  • Author

To Colonels Wear Blue.... Can you tell me what this defense is called? 2guys play zone, and 3 play man. I don't know, had to ask a Jv player what defense we where in. Staying in a defense as its getting killed, will stay in a 2-3 , while they make 3 after 3. Not calling time out when the other team is on a run. Press break, trying to break a 2-2-1 with 2 in front court and 1 at mid. That's 3 on 4, and we turned it over a lot. Thank goodness Harold seen Elliott Co break it, with 3 in front court and 1 at mid. Next game VS Morgan CO, no problem with the press. A pee wee coach should know how to break a 2-2-1. Then he plays 10 kids, Greenup is not UK. I think 7 maybe 8. When we press 1-2-1-1 , don't need both centers in the game if pressing. Need more speed, not a 6`7 center at mid court, he needs to be all the way back.. Why doesn't Greenup play more man on man? I was told Harold doesn't think we match up , with most teams.. I don't see how they don't, there is size and speed. Most coaches play zone when they are undersized or slow, not much talent. End of game fouling , I have seen this a hand full of times. Waiting till there`s 30 sec left , to start fouling when Greenup need`s to foul 4 or 5 times to get them in the 1 and 1.. VS West Carter , up 8 with 25 sec left till half, did we hold for 1 shot? No , then West cut it to 5. Greenup lost by 1, did that cost them the game? But it didn't help. That happens a lot, Greenup has lost a ton of close games the last 2 years, and better coaching wins them. Greenup needs more set plays on offense, to much standing around,, and needs to keep centers on the low block. Not at the top of the key. If running a high low set, Grooms plays great at the foul line. Keep Jair low. Grooms can shoot, pass , and drive from there, does it well. Jherrell Jackson, can get to the basket, clear it out and let him go. that's what he does best. Not using what the players do best, is a major problem. There are so many options , with the size , speed, and they way they shoot the 3. IF this is not enough for Colonels Wear Blue, just say . I can come up with more.

  • Replies 170
  • Views 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To Colonels Wear Blue.... Can you tell me what this defense is called? 2guys play zone, and 3 play man. I don't know, had to ask a Jv player what defense we where in. Staying in a defense as its getting killed, will stay in a 2-3 , while they make 3 after 3. Not calling time out when the other team is on a run. Press break, trying to break a 2-2-1 with 2 in front court and 1 at mid. That's 3 on 4, and we turned it over a lot. Thank goodness Harold seen Elliott Co break it, with 3 in front court and 1 at mid. Next game VS Morgan CO, no problem with the press. A pee wee coach should know how to break a 2-2-1. Then he plays 10 kids, Greenup is not UK. I think 7 maybe 8. When we press 1-2-1-1 , don't need both centers in the game if pressing. Need more speed, not a 6`7 center at mid court, he needs to be all the way back.. Why doesn't Greenup play more man on man? I was told Harold doesn't think we match up , with most teams.. I don't see how they don't, there is size and speed. Most coaches play zone when they are undersized or slow, not much talent. End of game fouling , I have seen this a hand full of times. Waiting till there`s 30 sec left , to start fouling when Greenup need`s to foul 4 or 5 times to get them in the 1 and 1.. VS West Carter , up 8 with 25 sec left till half, did we hold for 1 shot? No , then West cut it to 5. Greenup lost by 1, did that cost them the game? But it didn't help. That happens a lot, Greenup has lost a ton of close games the last 2 years, and better coaching wins them. Greenup needs more set plays on offense, to much standing around,, and needs to keep centers on the low block. Not at the top of the key. If running a high low set, Grooms plays great at the foul line. Keep Jair low. Grooms can shoot, pass , and drive from there, does it well. Jherrell Jackson, can get to the basket, clear it out and let him go. that's what he does best. Not using what the players do best, is a major problem. There are so many options , with the size , speed, and they way they shoot the 3. IF this is not enough for Colonels Wear Blue, just say . I can come up with more.

 

Alright. Now THAT'S more like what I was looking for.

  • Author

And to Colonels Wear Blue. I was not talking myself up , with playing varsity for 4 years, and all that. Agent 33 said, I never played or coached, so I just told him little about me..

  • Author
So far, I've not commented, just read. But c'mon man. You just said that when they won (last year regional upset) it was because they kids played great. Coaching had nothing to do with it. But when they lost (the many games you've mentioned this year) it's been all about the coaching, none about the kids.

Do the kids mess up? Of course they do. they are high school players. And last year ,when they won the District he didn't do any thing different , No changes, so if u lose a lot during the year, you don't change things then win.. I`d say the kids got hot, and played really good. If there was a major change in playing style or some then . Then I would say different .

Do the kids mess up? Of course they do. they are high school players. And last year ,when they won the District he didn't do any thing different , No changes, so if u lose a lot during the year, you don't change things then win.. I`d say the kids got hot, and played really good. If there was a major change in playing style or some then . Then I would say different .

 

I'm sorry, but if you give the coach no credit for wins and all blame for losses, you lose credibility with me. Just my opinion. You may have some points to what you are saying, but you lose credibility and become bias when you make that statement. Sorry.

I still think they'll win their district and make it to region.

  • Author
I still think they'll win their district and make it to region.

 

Hope so, I think the losing has taken a toll on the kids, and the next 5 games, at Sheldon Clark, at Rowan, at Russell , at Pikeville and at Raceland. Is a very hard 5 games, on the road. I think a few win`s would go a long way..

So we've now got into the business of posting for Coaching positions that are not even open.

That's an embarassment to a lot of genuine discussion that goes on.

Anonymous disgruntled Dad take this up with your Coach, AD, Principal or Supt. face to face

Hope so, I think the losing has taken a toll on the kids, and the next 5 games, at Sheldon Clark, at Rowan, at Russell , at Pikeville and at Raceland. Is a very hard 5 games, on the road. I think a few win`s would go a long way..

I think losing takes more of a toll on the coach and some parents than it does the kids.

  • Author
So we've now got into the business of posting for Coaching positions that are not even open.

That's an embarassment to a lot of genuine discussion that goes on.

Anonymous disgruntled Dad take this up with your Coach, AD, Principal or Supt. face to face

 

This is a site for discussion, I never came on here looking for a job. You my not think this is a "genuine discussion" , and that `s fine. Or may be I miss read what this was about. And is your real name basketballfan1.. guessing not. So your anonymous also.

from someone who has experience the environment at Greenup CO., I will say that they do have great athletes and great facilities. Now, the bad parts, tough to compete with baseball, and cheer-leading, lots of "folks" with "input" into how the "program" should be "run", and let us not forget, the level of commitment from the kids involved may not be what it should be. I think you could list all of the coaches that have roamed the sidelines at Greenup for both the boys and the girls and you will find, most of those coaches have had some success elsewhere, so the question remains why not Greenup? I truly believe that it is an oddity in the since that they SHOULD be a contender every year, yet no one has figured out how to make that happen. The former coaches there (basketball, football, etc..) have tried to figure it out and have come from all sorts of backgrounds in coaching and yet, still left scratching their heads. I cannot and will not believe that all of these coaches were just "bad" coaches! I cannot believe that all of the kids that came through the program were "bad" kids! Check the records of the former coaches in basketball and football who have moved on from Greenup Co., I think you will find that they all have experienced success after. So with all of this being said, my question is what is the true reason for the lack of success in Greenup Co? Any intelligent answers would be greatly appreciated by all I am sure.

Well know a topic I'm qualified to discuss ! But I'm at work and could offer up an hour or two's typing on this one . A few short thoughts . Grow thick skin if you want to be a coach , at 10u or 8u or HS . I'm sure Mr Tackett could still get a few hours sleep if he read this entire thing . Next from what small amount of games I've seen the past 3 years I'll say its a total mystery how GC couldnt be successful . Mr Tackett may be a good dude . He might be a GREAT man. But ultimately the W-L record will either keep him around or send him packing. And his W-

L record is dismal . Also I'm not convinced Coach Cal could win at GC. One of the wonders of this world is how many generations need to pass before the east-west ( Mckell - Greenup Wurtland) hate goes away and GC can compete as one entity . My guess is never . Another thought is the academics have driven so many away . Numbers matter . To compare todays GC with the 80's and 90's GC ( 300 plus graduates a year) is sadly a poor comparison . I came thru the program when district titles were an afterthought , losing to raceland in anything was unheard of ( sorry rams, I love ya ) and that attitude and mindset left the train station about 20 years ago.

I cant buy that all the coach's GC had were unprepared or poor . They have tried insiders , outsiders , and everyone in between . I watched SSU girls play recently , they looked OUTSTANDING . But at GC Nickel looked lost . So I dont have an exact formula to fix at all . My suggestion is go back to GC West ( Mckell ) and GC East and stop busing kids 30 miles to get to Lloyd .

BGP at it's worst.

 

And that's not a shot at the site, by any means. Just an unfortunate repercussion of free speech and a forum for all to see.

Crash , sometimes truth hurts . The OP didnt totally bash the guy . He offered an opinion on an opinion board . Its not the end of civilization. If GC would quit losing to teams inferior in talent then we could stop having such an all time worst discussion. JMO .

In the games I've witnessed I'd agree with a point X and O made , his player rotation has been entirely too large , dont know if he was trying to please parents or why , but he gave a JV kid a few min in a important varsity game last year that left me wondering what was going on . And its not been a one time thing.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.