Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WANTED! New Coach at Greenup County

Featured Replies

As to not just take blind jabs at Coach Tackett, can you give us some examples of the his weaknesses in coaching and what his team is lacking on gameday that has you so unhappy with him?

 

So we get it that you're not fond of him. Any kind of answer to the question I posed in the second post?

 

So....shall I take it that you still have no suggestions on how to improve things?

  • Replies 170
  • Views 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is just you're opinion of his coaching ability, let's all remember, the guys that dedicate their life to the sport are the guys that know the least, right? Not fair at all to bash guys at the high school level who make pennies and do it for the love of the game. Ultimately, every one has an opinion, whether it's justified or not. I have no horse at all in this race and would need a map to find Greenup County but I have never once heard ESPN discuss Greenup County Basketball on under total anonymity, probably because it's just high school basketball in Kentucky, College/Pro guys making millions should be critiqued a little harder than the local guy who probably teaches a full load of classes all day then goes to practice.

 

I see where you're going and I get it, but I don't know if I'm right with your threshold.

 

So, unless the program gets regular ESPN coverage, criticism of the coach is off-limits? Every program is newsworthy; some of that newsworthiness is just more localized. I think Billy Hicks is on line 1 for you about a PR position.

True its a very bad year. A bunch of winning seasons ' date=' district championships , and a hand full of regional final games. Should help a bit, but may be not..[/quote']

 

Not really, all of the above are expected, its not hard to produce a winning season. A district championship isn't that difficult either when you really have to beat one team to win it. So yeah, Regional championships are pretty important. Biggs has won 0 of those.

 

What would you consider to be success? Is the only success regional championships? If so only Baker, Perry, and Thacker have won regional titles at their current position. I'm not necessary defending anyone but up until this year Biggs has had a solid record at Ashland.

 

And let me remind you that there are many blooming idiots who have won regional titles.

 

 

I'm sorry, I was responding to another post, my response didnt have anything to do with Greenup County. I will bow out of the thread, I did not mean to drive it off track.

It really doesn't matter. It's been that way for years at Greenup. Let's go back to the Trey Williams team with all those kids 6'5" or better. Best talent in the region. And they crashed and burned. Different coaches, same result. The community lives in the past and pines for the days of Randy Ward. Just ignorant if you ask me, but what do I know? I only grew up a rock's throw from that high school and still didn't attend it.

 

Spin, I am being 100% sincere when I say that, if there was ever someone on here that I had to pick to share a trench with, it just might be you. Know nothing about Greenup Co., it's just more of a substantive comment. If things ever popped off, I'd hope you were down for me and not against me.

Oh, surely you haven't forgotten Jeff Nickel and Mike Hughes.

 

I was just mentioning coaches that won the district in their extremely short tenure and then were shown the boot.

That's who should still be there. 18 and 10 and won district. Hughes coached and won many games in Ohio, and top AAU teams. Now Nickel is at SSU girls. I don't know why ,if fired or left? That would been a nice way to build a winner.

 

They did not win district that year. Lewis County team led by Koty Riley and Terrence Smith knocked them out in district first round. They were 17-10 though.

I am not familiar with the current coaching situation or player so I will not address anything about them. Plus this is not the place to be doing that.

 

My question is "Who is in charge of the youth basketball program at Greenup Co.?"

 

I have been told by somebody from there that the baseball program runs the youth basketball tournaments and program. Is this true? If that is the case, that is a major problem. How can somebody other than the basketball program be running your feeder system?

 

As I said I'm not familiar with the situation at Greenup Co. So can somebody enlighten me?

There is no doubt that GC has underachieved this year. They have lost games at Lewis Co, at home vs Jackson Co, Morgan Co, & West Carter that they no doubt should have won. They lost at home vs Raceland and Jair Jackson who's 6'7" had 2 shots all night - Raceland's biggest player couldn't have been bigger than 6'3" - something wrong there. Coach Tackett is definitely not an X & O type coach, I've seen his team run the same pee wee level out of bounds plays all year and his offense is nothing more than your typical motion offense with only a few offensive sets. He has several different zone defenses that he likes to use but he runs the same one for way too long and allows the other teams to figure it out and then it takes him too long to adjust into something else. In regards to always complaining about the officiating, watch his team play. Yes, they are very talented but they don't attack the rim and prefer to shoot the 3 or pull up for 15 foot jump shots. At any level of basketball the foul situation is going to be lop sided if you just shoot jump shots all night. I'm not suggesting he's a bad coach. If you watch Duke or KY play - if your players can't execute that doesn't make Coach K or Coach Cal bad coaches, players still have to defend, rebound, score and limit turnovers to win games.

 

In defense of their record, this team has had several injuries and has battled illness off and on. They went somewhere around Christmas for a tournament, played 4 games there and the last 3 games only had 7 players total available to play and most of those were non starters. They won game 1 and lost the last 3 with game 2 loosing in OT. They've have also had Hughes & Jair Jackson miss some games due to ankle injuries & Austin Grooms due to an eye injury. This has allowed other players to step in and get some great experience such as Sophmore Brody Shoupe and Freshman Kyle Gammon. The Gammon kid is not even playing JV anymore and has started the last 3-4 games. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this regular season and post season ends up for GC if they can stay healthy. The roles players have definitely gained some experience for post season play and anyone that knows the 16th Region, these guys although they may not score a lot become key for teams in tournament play. I don't see them beating Boyd or Rowan Co but if anyone else in the Region beats them the rest of the year I'd be surprised.

 

As for the question about the feeder program. The baseball program does run and coordinate the Youth Basketball program as a fund raiser but it's no different than most other city's or county's with Rec Leagues. I believe they have K-5th grade teams. There is no elementary basketball in GC school systems so it's play in that league or some other local Rec League or Upward in the area. They then play MS basketball their 6th-8th grade years.

Should Greenup turn to Nathan Sutton to stabilize things. I think they have done this twice before.

He did, no the kids played great. Gage Hughes and Jair Jackson took over. And in the Rowan game Hughes broke O J Mayo`s scoring by a 8th grader, and made 8 foul shot in the last minuet of the game. What Tackett did do is cost them the next game VS Ashland.

 

This is what drives me crazy about most fans. If the team plays well, the coach has nothing to do with it. If the team plays poorly, it's all the coach's fault.

  • Author
Im guessing it was either Johnny or Little Jimmy :thumb:

 

No, he`s ok. But thanks for asking. up

  • Author

If you have looked through this thread, I have took up for Ashland`s coach, and they are 1 and 18 .Sometimes its the kids (lack of talent ) and sometimes coaching. Greenup had talent last year and lost, got hot and made a run. This year is the same. If Greenup didn't have any talent, it would be a different story. OR may be HAROLD saves his "best coaching" for the tournament ..

If you have looked through this thread, I have took up for Ashland`s coach, and they are 1 and 18 .Sometimes its the kids (lack of talent ) and sometimes coaching. Greenup had talent last year and lost, got hot and made a run. This year is the same. If Greenup didn't have any talent, it would be a different story. OR may be HAROLD saves his "best coaching" for the tournament ..

 

So far, I've not commented, just read. But c'mon man. You just said that when they won (last year regional upset) it was because they kids played great. Coaching had nothing to do with it. But when they lost (the many games you've mentioned this year) it's been all about the coaching, none about the kids.

If you have looked through this thread, I have took up for Ashland`s coach, and they are 1 and 18 .Sometimes its the kids (lack of talent ) and sometimes coaching. Greenup had talent last year and lost, got hot and made a run. This year is the same. If Greenup didn't have any talent, it would be a different story. Or may be HAROLD saves his "best coaching" for the tournament ..

 

You have 19 posts in this thread, thus far...most of which have been abundant with your calling into question of Coach Tackett's coaching abilities. I've asked repeatedly - since the very first reply in this thread - what your specific examples of Coach Tackett's weaknesses are, yet you haven't provided any, nor have you provided any suggestions for what you think he could do to improve things at Greenup County.

 

As someone who claims to have been a 4-year varsity player, a college recruit, and a former pee-wee coach, I'm sure you can come up with some kind of answer to my questions, right? Or are we just dealing with someone with an axe to grind?

 

As to not just take blind jabs at Coach Tackett, can you give us some examples of the his weaknesses in coaching and what his team is lacking on gameday that has you so unhappy with him?

 

So we get it that you're not fond of him. Any kind of answer to the question I posed in the second post?

 

So....shall I take it that you still have no suggestions on how to improve things?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.