Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WANTED! New Coach at Greenup County

Featured Replies

Hopefully ,Harold will move on, and a new coach will come in ,take over youth teams and win some games..

 

merry-go-round.jpg

  • Replies 170
  • Views 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I talked to somebody today (via text) that knows the Greenup Co. situation. He explained there are a number of issues with the basketball program. I will not address the coaching situation. The forum is not the place.

 

But the youth basketball program is another story. It is true that the baseball program runs youth basketball program and the money is funneled into the baseball program. Previous coaching staffs have wanted to run the youth program but were denied the opportunity. In this case, is a administrative problem. The community must demand the feeder program be run by the basketball program. Any successful basketball program has a great feeder program. This scenario is comparable to the football program running the Little League baseball program.

 

Hopefully, GC can turn things around and get back to its glory days.

Previous coaching staffs have wanted to run the youth program but were denied the opportunity. In this case, is a administrative problem.

 

Athletics

 

2014623173440428_image.png

 

Hello,

 

My name is Jerry Allen.

 

I am a veteran educator with twelve years of experience as a teacher and coach (football, strength/conditioning, & basketball).

 

This is my third year at GCHS, and I have contributed both as Health/PE Teacher and Athletic Director.

 

I am originally from Magoffin County Kentucky, but currently reside in Mount Sterling Kentucky.

 

I have greatly enjoyed my experience here at Greenup County and look forward to serving for many years to come.

 

Thank You,

 

 

Jerry L. Allen, MM

??? Why would somebody post a AD's pic & bio.

 

Matter of fact, I'm the person that said this is not the forum to discuss personnel. It is a topics board not a place to single out individuals.

??? Why would somebody post a AD's pic & bio.

 

Matter of fact, I'm the person that said this is not the forum to discuss personnel. It is a topics board not a place to single out individuals.

 

Greenup County being Greenup County

??? Why would somebody post a AD's pic & bio.

 

Matter of fact, I'm the person that said this is not the forum to discuss personnel. It is a topics board not a place to single out individuals.

 

Quit complaining on a message board and ask the AD directly about the issue!!!

I love these threads. If it's that bad take your kids to Raceland or Russell. It could be worse.

  • Author
I talked to somebody today (via text) that knows the Greenup Co. situation. He explained there are a number of issues with the basketball program. I will not address the coaching situation. The forum is not the place.

 

But the youth basketball program is another story. It is true that the baseball program runs youth basketball program and the money is funneled into the baseball program. Previous coaching staffs have wanted to run the youth program but were denied the opportunity. In this case, is a administrative problem. The community must demand the feeder program be run by the basketball program. Any successful basketball program has a great feeder program. This scenario is comparable to the football program running the Little League baseball program.

 

Hopefully, GC can turn things around and get back to its glory days.

 

I do not agree about , this not being the place, its an op site. Teams , players and even refs are discussed daily. What`s the difference ? I`m sure your person, if they have been to game`s told you talent is not the problem. And I wonder if the youth system would be different , even if basketball ran it.. From my experience`s most youth team`s are coached by a parent or two. And I feel it would stay the same. Basketball should run it 100% agree. The baseball coach`s step up, and work hard, and year after year have really good team`s. A top notch feeder system is key, and will produce a better basketball program. My biggest problem is the last 2 years talent is not the problem, is Greenup in the state top 10 with a good coach, no. But should be way better than they are. No matter how good the players are that come up each year, if a coach doesn't know how to use them, 9out 10 times its not going to matter.

I love these threads. If it's that bad take your kids to Raceland or Russell. It could be worse.

 

Why take your kids to Raceland or Russell?

Why take your kids to Raceland or Russell?

 

I used them as examples because they are close to GC in South Shore. In general, most schools would love to have talented transfers if they could leave mommy and daddy in the old district.

  • Author
I love these threads. If it's that bad take your kids to Raceland or Russell. It could be worse.

 

Russell has had a lot of good teams in all sports over the years, Raceland , footballs been good lately . The problem both small schools run into is less boys means less chance of good players. A couple of classes with not much talent really hurts.. Russell will be back I feel, they have some young talent, and a good coach.

I used them as examples because they are close to GC in South Shore. In general, most schools would love to have talented transfers if they could leave mommy and daddy in the old district.

 

Do many disgruntled parents take their kids from Greenup County to Raceland or Russell in that area?

 

Do many disgruntled parents take their kids from Greenup County to Raceland or Russell in that area?

 

You don't hear of that happening much, honestly. There are various reasons other than athletics that some parents do choose to put their kids in the other local school systems, if they are able though.

 

A friend of mine has two kids in grade school, they live right on the border of Greenup and Boyd Counties. From their house South Shore (Greenup County) is about a 25-30 minute drive depending on traffic, 1 hour plus by bus. In relation, you can get to Russell, Raceland, Fairview, Rose Hill, Ashland, or Boyd county in 15 minutes or less. It's a weird geographic setup for that district, but I understand the reasoning behind it. For that reason, along with academics, my friends kids will not be attending Greenup County.

You don't hear of that happening much, honestly. There are various reasons other than athletics that some parents do choose to put their kids in the other local school systems, if they are able though.

 

A friend of mine has two kids in grade school, they live right on the border of Greenup and Boyd Counties. From their house South Shore (Greenup County) is about a 25-30 minute drive depending on traffic, 1 hour plus by bus. In relation, you can get to Russell, Raceland, Fairview, Rose Hill, Ashland, or Boyd county in 15 minutes or less. It's a weird geographic setup for that district, but I understand the reasoning behind it. For that reason, along with academics, my friends kids will not be attending Greenup County.

 

I am confused. I thought that Greenup County HS was closer to Greenup (city) and not South Shore.

 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Greenup+County+High+School/@38.5618446,-82.9941365,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x884662e5c6926537:0x233823a907a7170f

 

Are academics that bad at Greenup County?

According to KDE, here are the academic scores for the 2013-2014 school year.

 

Russell 74.2

Ashland 70.3

Boyd County 69.7

Greenup County 69.2

Raceland-Worthington 69.1

Fairview 66.5

 

Russell is far and away the leader, but Ashland, Boyd County, Greenup County, and Raceland-Worthington are all together.

 

Why does everybody pick on Greenup County?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.