Some Facts on the Police, Violence, Use of Force and Race (From Reddit)

halfback20

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a question and it should be reported. But something that it doesn't say is that if the police in say Burnside Ky shot someone the KSP will investigate it and report it. Even though Burnside with a force of less than 10 officers probably doesn't report national stats it would be reported with the KSP stats. There are 6 departments plus the Kentucky State Police in this county, I'd bet that at least the 4 smallest departments don't report.

There are hundreds of departments of less than 10 officers that are probably the ones not reporting to the FBI and in 99% of the time they aren't having police involved shootings either.

So while the numbers aren't complete they may not be as far off as some may be believed.

I'm not sure that the bolded is something we can say with certainty. The article itself mentions Washington D.C. as a place that wasn't reporting recently. I'm sure there are plenty of small places like that which aren't reporting, and that those will be the majority of cities on the list, but you also have to realize that a city the size of Washington D.C. not reporting would probably equate to nearly a thousand of the smallest places that didn't report.

Do agree with what you say about small departments (i.e., with less than 10 officers) being much less likely to have officer involved shooting though.

Ok.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that what you've posted is completely without merit or anything like that, and many of the statistics point to common sense conclusions that appear facially valid (i.e., that you are less likely to have negative feelings about a police encounter if the officer is the same race as you), I'm just saying that it might not be the entire picture. You can't really say definitively one way or another.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that what you've posted is completely without merit or anything like that, and many of the statistics point to common sense conclusions that appear facially valid (i.e., that you are less likely to have negative feelings about a police encounter if the officer is the same race as you), I'm just saying that it might not be the entire picture. You can't really say definitively one way or another.

The numbers lead one to believe there is no "epidemic" of police brutality like some people want us to believe.

The numbers lead one to believe there is no "epidemic" of police brutality like some people want us to believe.

The article that I posted earlier about the black NYPD cops being fearful of other officers while they ate of duty says that police misconduct claims are up 214% since 2000. Did you read that article?

The article that I posted earlier about the black NYPD cops being fearful of other officers while they ate of duty says that police misconduct claims are up 214% since 2000. Did you read that article?

Claims are claims. How many claims were legit? And what are they defining as "police misconduct" ?

And I stopped reading that terrible article after the first paragraph. How was Eric Garner racially profiled? Wasn't the Supervisor in charge of that whole deal black?

Claims are claims. How many claims were legit? And what are they defining as "police misconduct" ?

And I stopped reading that terrible article after the first paragraph. How was Eric Garner racially profiled? Wasn't the Supervisor in charge of that whole deal black?

You should have kept reading. It interviewed current and former NYPD officers--or are they not credible?

As for the supervisor in the Garner case: If you'd have kept reading you'd have seen that complaints against officers are in direct proportion to the racial makeup of the force.

You should have kept reading. It interviewed current and former NYPD officers--or are they not credible?

As for the supervisor in the Garner case: If you'd have kept reading you'd have seen that complaints against officers are in direct proportion to the racial makeup of the force.

FWIW I do like how you are deflecting from the original post.

Again, claims of police misconduct aren't always legitimate. Are the police wrong sometimes? Absolutely. Are there some racist police? Absolutely. Do some police profile sometimes? Absolutely.

Is there an epidemic of police brutality? Nothing I've seen suggests that.

FWIW I do like how you are deflecting from the original post.

Again, claims of police misconduct aren't always legitimate. Are the police wrong sometimes? Absolutely. Are there some racist police? Absolutely. Do some police profile sometimes? Absolutely.

Is there an epidemic of police brutality? Nothing I've seen suggests that.

How am I deflecting you posted some statistics. I prayed an article that said that claims of police misconduct have risen 214% in 14 years. It also interviewed current and retired NYPD officers who do not feel comfortable in interactions with other officers. That is just adding more statistics to the conversation.

How am I deflecting you posted some statistics. I prayed an article that said that claims of police misconduct have risen 214% in 14 years. It also interviewed current and retired NYPD officers who do not feel comfortable in interactions with other officers. That is just adding more statistics to the conversation.

You ignored the original post completely :lol2:.

You are clearly focusing on the NYPD when the original post is about police throughout the United States.

Has the population increased since 2000? Are there more police officers in New York since 2000? Would you say that the controversial "stop and frisk" methods increased complaints? How many complaints were substantiated? How many were false? I expect claims to go up especially this day in age...with lawsuits and the anti police mentality becoming more popular. Even if they have gone up 214%...what were the total number of complaints in 2000 vs now?

In 2000 it might have been that police were complained on in 2% of all interactions with the public. 214% increase of 2% still isn't that high, considering not all of those are legitimate complaints.

You didn't add more statistics to the conversation. You added one number. There are many others that should be posted with that one number because without them it's hard to judge that one number.