Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NBA Scouts' Opinions of UK Players

Featured Replies

Funny, but I think the scouts are dead on.

 

Yep. I thought so too.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
“This league is not friendly to guys who can’t pass the basketball or defend.[/i]

 

I think this is what so few understand about the NBA. They are the best players in the world and there's no place to hide guys who can't pass or defend. And that's why so many "can't miss" kids end up plying their trade in the D-League, or Europe, or some other spot around the globe.

I'm a bit surprised at the harsh assessment of Randle, but I can't say they're altogether wrong. I think this just backs up what a lot of us think. None of them are truly ready. Randle should go simply because of where he will be taken and the money he will command. Young maybe should go but I believe is more of an at-risk candidate for the D-League. The other four shouldn't even consider it, but that's unfortunately not everything. This quote from the Aaron Harrison assessment sums it up:

 

“You must separate the novelty of these two kids (Aaron and brother Andrew) being twins. If they weren’t brothers, one played at Texas Tech and the other played at UTEP – and both just had the years they had (at Kentucky) … would anyone be discussing these two leaving college early to enter the NBA draft?”

 

You can apply that to Poythress as well. At least Dakari projects properly at the next level.

I'm a bit surprised at the harsh assessment of Randle, but I can't say they're altogether wrong. I think this just backs up what a lot of us think. None of them are truly ready. Randle should go simply because of where he will be taken and the money he will command.

 

:thumb:

All of them are dead on.

All of them are dead on...

 

...arrival in the NBA? :sssh:

Crazy that the team with "the most talent" that many claimed would get shredded like this by the scouts. And I'm not saying they shouldn't. Its just interesting.

Randle and Young should probably go as they seem the most likely to go high and be in the lottery. The others? Not so much.

 

Dakari is way too raw at this point to have any hope of contributing in the near future. Andrew got better toward the end of the year but there is still a vast room for improvement. Alex shouldn't go. He got better this year but is still inconsistent at times and needs to round out his game.

 

Aaron, IMO, is in the grey area between he should go and returning back to school. I could see it going either way and wouldn't have much of an issue with either choice.

Randle and Young should probably go as they seem the most likely to go high and be in the lottery. The others? Not so much.

 

Dakari is way too raw at this point to have any hope of contributing in the near future. Andrew got better toward the end of the year but there is still a vast room for improvement. Alex shouldn't go. He got better this year but is still inconsistent at times and needs to round out his game.

 

Aaron, IMO, is in the grey area between he should go and returning back to school. I could see it going either way and wouldn't have much of an issue with either choice.

 

Young won't be anywhere close to a lottery pick. Looks like all but one will end up in the D League. Another year at UK would have been beneficial.

I legitimately question if these "NBA scouts and execs" thoroughly watched Julius Randle. I agree with their evaluations on most' date=' but these on Julius are just off. One, when Julius turned it on defensively he could shut down FORWARDS. Yes he's bad defensively when guarding a guard. What 6'9 PF isn't? Also, he blocked DeAndre Daniels numerous times in the championship game and basically shut him down; definitely showing he could bring it defensively. Two, he won't be triple teamed in the NBA, that's a non-issue. Three, he seems coachable. You could see he started listening to Calipari and passing the ball instead of forcing it up. That means YES he is coachable. Four, I believe he can improve his face-up game and I think part of it was just Calipari not wanting him to take that jumper. It best suited UK this year with Julius primarily in the post. Five, no comment. No idea why he was cramping in the championship game and against Louisville; but he didn't in any other tournament game I know of. There's my take on their evaluations. I hope these aren't the same execs/scouts that are featured in Adam Zagoria's articles (they probably are.) Those guys are typically just wrong.[/quote']

 

I question if you watched Randle. Way tok many turnovers by trying to do too much. Rarely went straight up or tried backing his man down low.

I question if you watched Randle. Way tok many turnovers by trying to do too much. Rarely went straight up or tried backing his man down low.

 

Read the part on not getting triple teamed in the NBA. Given NBA players are stronger, but you're going to have a lot of TO's when people "guard" you like this: Julius Randle.jpeg

Read the part on not getting triple teamed in the NBA. Given NBA players are stronger, but you're going to have a lot of TO's when people "guard" you like this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]44027[/ATTACH]

 

Was that a turnover or a foul?

 

There is no denying that Randle dribbled himself into many turnovers this season.

I think the assessments on the UK players were pretty spot on...none of these guys look to be elite scorers or defenders in the NBA...so if not what do they hang there hat on?

 

Randle reminds me a lot of Mashburn when he attacks in the paint, but doesn't have Mash's jumper to keep NBA D honest guarding him.

 

Aarons best hope his to become a dead eye shooter this summer and to pick up some lateral quickness

 

Andrew I think has a good chance of being a NBA PG, but he has to increase his quickness as well. He's got the toughness but has to add some D and D in the NBA means speed

 

Young, worst passing forward I have ever seen. Could be a lock down defender with his physical capabilities but don't know how interested he is in D. That said that Dunk in the Finals may end up getting him drafted on potential and get him paid...could end up a star or out of the NBA in 3-4 years.

 

Alex, not sure where he would fit in the NBA

 

Dakahari, if I'm DJ I go on the Jorts training program and run run run until my legs fall off. Has raw skill to be really good, but again mobility is an issue.

 

Just my take...but what do I know

Was that a turnover or a foul?

 

There is no denying that Randle dribbled himself into many turnovers this season.

 

Not sure on that specific one, but I'd say around half of Randle's TO's are on plays like this. He gets mugged consistently, but with a triple team on, a ref can only see so much. It's his decision making he needs to work on. If he knows he doesn't have position, pass it out. He started making progress on that, which is a good sign. But like I said; I would think calls such as that will probably be fouls in the NBA, given only one person will be guarding him.

NBA guys won't have to foul him to stop him.

 

 

He has to develop a jumper and that's the bottom line. They will eat him alive without it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.