Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NBA Scouts' Opinions of UK Players

Featured Replies

Yeah, sorry. Thought he had more off the top of my head, that's my bad. But regardless that was arguably Daniels' worst game of the tournament. Still got up the same amount of shots against UK as he did against Florida in 11 fewer minutes as well. Oh well, I'm done with my point. I think you guys get it by now. Just think Julius is a top 4 prospect in this draft.

 

It's no doubt that he is a top prospect, but defense isn't his strong point.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The slap and grab stuff could be said about every college basketball player, IMO. He consistently dribbled into bad situations and turned it over very consistently in those situations. If anything, it was his poor decision making that penalized him. People are going to swipe at the ball when you are turnover prone. You can't lower your shoulder into people not expecting to be called for a foul and then turn around and look for calls when someone swipes at the ball. JMO.

 

If they were swiping and hitting the ball that would be one thing, swiping and hitting the arms is a foul. I get what you're saying and he did dribble into bad situations a lot, which I mentioned. But they missed a lot of foul calls that most players would get IMO.

But they missed a lot of foul calls that most players would get IMO.

 

I really don't think the calls he got or didn't get had anything to do with him being Julius Randle. JMO.

I really don't think the calls he got or didn't get had anything to do with him being Julius Randle. JMO.

 

I'm not saying they like or don't like him, i'm saying because he is so much more physical/bigger than 99% of college guys they are going to let guys get away with hacking him a lot more.

Ok? And he held Daniels to 8 points on 4-14 shooting. The same Daniels who scored 20 points on 9-14 shooting against Florida.

 

I simply think that had more to do with Daniels than Randle 'locking him up.'

 

 

Don't get me wrong. Good athlete. Great rebounder. Solid prospect.

 

Too left handed. Lacks a face up game. Won't be able to bully people in the lane like he did in college.

 

My opinion...

It's no doubt that he is a top prospect, but defense isn't his strong point.

 

I will disagree. I think some of the scouts on this link were describing the Randle from the first half of the season who frustrated me. Randle was a very good defender and was defending multiple positions pretty well in March. He rebounded at an elite level and finished through contact. While for large part of the regular season he dribbled to much Randle in the last part of the season showed high basketball IQ and passing skills. His passing skills were showing so well on ESPN they almost called it a wash between he and the big guy for Wisconsin pre-final four.

 

Again I think alot of of what these scouts had to say was true. But reading their take on Randle makes me think they didn't watch him after the end of Jan.

I will disagree. I think some of the scouts on this link were describing the Randle from the first half of the season who frustrated me. Randle was a very good defender and was defending multiple positions pretty well in March. He rebounded at an elite level and finished through contact. While for large part of the regular season he dribbled to much Randle in the last part of the season showed high basketball IQ and passing skills. His passing skills were showing so well on ESPN they almost called it a wash between he and the big guy for Wisconsin pre-final four.

 

Again I think alot of of what these scouts had to say was true. But reading their take on Randle makes me think they didn't watch him after the end of Jan.

 

And yet, they are the ones making the decisions...:idunno:

I will disagree. I think some of the scouts on this link were describing the Randle from the first half of the season who frustrated me. Randle was a very good defender and was defending multiple positions pretty well in March. He rebounded at an elite level and finished through contact. While for large part of the regular season he dribbled to much Randle in the last part of the season showed high basketball IQ and passing skills. His passing skills were showing so well on ESPN they almost called it a wash between he and the big guy for Wisconsin pre-final four.

 

Again I think alot of of what these scouts had to say was true. But reading their take on Randle makes me think they didn't watch him after the end of Jan.

 

Randle has a great offensive motor. He seems unselfish as he needs to be. He is also the worst help defender ever for a player of his caliber. Teams recognized that (especially UConn) and pick and rolled him to death. He never showed, never communicated. He's not a natural defensive player, in fact, right now he's a liability. The right coach could make him a monster offensively and serviceable defensively.

Randle threw his body into a lot of those situations, and out of control a lot of the time. Just as you say you think he got mugged a ton with no calls, somebody else could just as easily say he got away with several offensive fouls.

 

Maybe, but the issue wasn't block/charge calls. It was exactly what was pictured above.

 

He would dribble in and get hacked to death. It was hacking, not body contact, so I'm not really sure how it would have been considered an offensive foul.

I do on the majority of their evaluations in this. Dakari has D-League written all over him, it's true. Etc, etc. I just completely disagree on Julius. Also glad to see these execs at least notice James Young is a terrible passer unlike Chad Ford.

 

James Young was such a bad passer that I was nervous every time he was the one throwing the ball inbounds....

Crazy that the team with "the most talent" that many claimed would get shredded like this by the scouts. And I'm not saying they shouldn't. Its just interesting.

 

No one in the freshman class has what I would call elite quickness or jumping ability. Other than possibly Randle, the others don't really have one skill that makes them stand out.

we are talking about the same guy that said Cal to the Lakers was a done deal, right? Okay just checkin.

 

Regardless of that prediction the linked article is spot on. He also wrote another great article that looked at the history of one and done players over the years that showed that unless you were 1st team all conference that the probabability of succeded quickly in the NBA was quite low. Of those that weren't first team all conference many spent time in the D-League. Etc. It was a really thourought analysis of who should and should not come out after one year.

Regardless of that prediction the linked article is spot on. He also wrote another great article that looked at the history of one and done players over the years that showed that unless you were 1st team all conference that the probabability of succeded quickly in the NBA was quite low. Of those that weren't first team all conference many spent time in the D-League. Etc. It was a really thourought analysis of who should and should not come out after one year.

 

so no Kentucky players should enter the NBA draft. Because that's what I take away from these opinions. And yes, that's all they are, opinions. No one has worked out for the draft and shown off all aspects of their game that they can't show in games because maybe some coaches don't want them to do because it isn't part of the game plan. Ya, some of these points are valid, but 99% of them, my 11 year old neighbor could pick out the same things. But there is also a lot more upside than the only downsides they listed for these players. And there is a lot more than 15 NBA scouts, that is only half of the teams. It only takes ONE team to like you.....give me a break man. This article isn't credible at all.

Maybe, but the issue wasn't block/charge calls. It was exactly what was pictured above.

 

He would dribble in and get hacked to death. It was hacking, not body contact, so I'm not really sure how it would have been considered an offensive foul.

 

I wasn't saying that particular picture would be whistled as offensive. But I absolutely HATE when offensive guys barrel in the lane and are bailed out by foul calls. Randle did that regularly. Are they just supposed to stand there and let him go by?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.