Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NBA Scouts' Opinions of UK Players

Featured Replies

NBA guys won't have to foul him to stop him.

 

 

He has to develop a jumper and that's the bottom line. They will eat him alive without it.

 

I mentioned that. But I think that will ultimately help him. He'll learn how to score in the NBA, although it will certainly be a learning process at first. But yeah, you're right. He'll have to use his jumper in the NBA. His jumper's honestly not that bad, just needs to get used to shooting it a little more.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Randle got a fair whistle this year to be honest, I thought he got mugged pretty frequently and the refs just penalized him because he was so big. Similar to Shaq, LeBron, etc in the NBA it's a lot tougher to ref those guys. With that said, Randle caused so many dumb turnovers because he doesn't have a consistent mid range, his handle is basically all left, and he was learning to trust his teammates. As others mentioned, NBA'ers will shut him down the way he is TODAY.

 

James Young I think is spot on. I think his potential is great, but right now he is not ready physically for the league and his skills just aren't there yet. He will be way better next year skills wise I'm sure and I think it'd be wise for him to come back to UK personally and have that alpha-dog mentality for the team. I can't see him going in the lottery because of the loaded draft, although I'd bet anything he'd be a lottery pick next year. With that said, it seems he's had that NBA mentality for awhile. Whatever decisions these kids make I will support, I just hope they make the best decision not only in the short term but long term as well.

Dakahari, if I'm DJ I go on the Jorts training program and run run run until my legs fall off. Has raw skill to be really good, but again mobility is an issue.

 

Funny!!!

I don't think Randle got a fair whistle this year to be honest, I thought he got mugged pretty frequently and the refs just penalized him because he was so big.

 

Randle threw his body into a lot of those situations, and out of control a lot of the time. Just as you say you think he got mugged a ton with no calls, somebody else could just as easily say he got away with several offensive fouls.

Randle threw his body into a lot of those situations, and out of control a lot of the time. Just as you say you think he got mugged a ton with no calls, somebody else could just as easily say he got away with several offensive fouls.

 

I mean there'd be times, pretty much in every game, he'd drive and have 2 or 3 guys grab his arm(s) while going up and it was just a play on. I'm not saying he got no calls and I'm sure he got away with some, but IMO he was penalized for how physical he is and let the other team get away with a lot. Also, unless the defender was set or he was lowering his shoulder and just running over them it's not going to be a charge. You watch a lot of basketball, you know when a guy drives through the lane and jumps into the defender that it will be called a foul almost every time if the guy isn't set.

I mean there'd be times, pretty much in every game, he'd drive and have 2 or 3 guys grab his arm(s) while going up and it was just a play on. I'm not saying he got no calls and I'm sure he got away with some, but IMO he was penalized for how physical he is and let the other team get away with a lot. Also, unless the defender was set or he was lowering his shoulder and just running over them it's not going to be a charge. You watch a lot of basketball, you know when a guy drives through the lane and jumps into the defender that it will be called a foul almost every time if the guy isn't set.

 

The slap and grab stuff could be said about every college basketball player, IMO. He consistently dribbled into bad situations and turned it over very consistently in those situations. If anything, it was his poor decision making that penalized him. People are going to swipe at the ball when you are turnover prone. You can't lower your shoulder into people not expecting to be called for a foul and then turn around and look for calls when someone swipes at the ball. JMO.

Read the part on not getting triple teamed in the NBA. Given NBA players are stronger, but you're going to have a lot of TO's when people "guard" you like this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]44027[/ATTACH]

 

Somebody is open.

He finishes the piece stating it only takes one team to like you but this has to be a slice of humble pie.

Surely the players and their handlers got this memo....right?

I legitimately question if these "NBA scouts and execs" thoroughly watched Julius Randle. I agree with their evaluations on most, but these on Julius are just off.

 

One, when Julius turned it on defensively he could shut down FORWARDS. Yes he's bad defensively when guarding a guard. What 6'9 PF isn't? Also, he blocked DeAndre Daniels numerous times in the championship game and basically shut him down; definitely showing he could bring it defensively.

 

Two, he won't be triple teamed in the NBA, that's a non-issue.

 

Three, he seems coachable. You could see he started listening to Calipari and passing the ball instead of forcing it up. That means YES he is coachable.

 

Four, I believe he can improve his face-up game and I think part of it was just Calipari not wanting him to take that jumper. It best suited UK this year with Julius primarily in the post.

 

Five, no comment. No idea why he was cramping in the championship game and against Louisville; but he didn't in any other tournament game I know of.

 

There's my take on their evaluations. I hope these aren't the same execs/scouts that are featured in Adam Zagoria's articles (they probably are.) Those guys are typically just wrong.

 

Uh... I'm pretty sure you're misremembering. I'm not 100% sure, but fairly sure he was blocking Phil Nolan. There's a big difference in blocking DeAndre Daniels and blocking Phil Nolan. Namely, Nolan will likely never play in the NBA because of athleticism. Daniels may play in NBA NEXT YEAR because of athleticism.

Uh... I'm pretty sure you're misremembering. I'm not 100% sure, but fairly sure he was blocking Phil Nolan. There's a big difference in blocking DeAndre Daniels and blocking Phil Nolan. Namely, Nolan will likely never play in the NBA because of athleticism. Daniels may play in NBA NEXT YEAR because of athleticism.

 

No, it was Daniels.

 

Julius Randle block.jpg

No, it was Daniels.

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44028[/ATTACH]

 

That was his only block of the game...

That was his only block of the game...

 

Ok? And he held Daniels to 8 points on 4-14 shooting. The same Daniels who scored 20 points on 9-14 shooting against Florida.

Ok? And he held Daniels to 8 points on 4-14 shooting. The same Daniels who scored 20 points on 9-14 shooting against Florida.

 

Well you said numerous blocks... It was only one. Four of Daniel's misses were from three, pretty sure those misses weren't because of Randle. So 4-8 from inside the 3pt line, 50%... Not terrible. Daniels also played 11 fewer minutes vs. UK than Florida because of foul trouble.

Well you said numerous blocks... It was only one. Four of Daniel's misses were from three, pretty sure those misses weren't because of Randle. So 4-8 from inside the 3pt line, 50%... Not terrible. Daniels also played 11 fewer minutes vs. UK than Florida because of foul trouble.

 

Yeah, sorry. Thought he had more off the top of my head, that's my bad. But regardless that was arguably Daniels' worst game of the tournament. Still got up the same amount of shots against UK as he did against Florida in 11 fewer minutes as well. Oh well, I'm done with my point. I think you guys get it by now. Just think Julius is a top 4 prospect in this draft.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.