Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Massiello To USF?

Featured Replies

My prediction is he continues the "I swear I thought I graduated" mantra and Manhattan uses that as a reason to bring him back.

 

 

There's no way anyone really believes that...

  • Replies 138
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never crossed my mind. I assumed that if someone like Mark Jackson didn't have a degree and wanted to coach at St. John's then it wouldn't be an issue.

 

And I kind of agree. Surely you see why this is an issue though, right? It's not so much that he didn't have a degree, it's that he lied about having one. If you're willing to make stuff up for a resume to get a job, what else are you willing to compromise honesty, integrity, and ethics for?

The uncoupling of university life from sports is on the way. Once amateurism goes, all we'll need is a few massive antitrust suits against the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL and MLS and we'll be on our way to a democratized, free-market, system of sustainable sports leagues in this country.

 

You may be correct, however, that day isn't today. No University can / will employ a head coach with no degree. Heck, the VAST majority of them also have their Master's degree (through serving as a G.A. coming up the ranks).

Is it an NCAA rule that coaches have to have degrees? If not, I'd assume it would be up to individual institutions on whether they'd hire someone with out one. What are the chances Manhattan knew and didn't care?

 

According to the job description posted by USF, the head coaching job "requires a Master's degree in an appropriate area of specialization and six years of coaching experience at the high school level or above; or a bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization and eight years experience at the high school level or above."

 

South Florida Bulls kill coaching deal with Steve Masiello for lying on his resume - ESPN

And I kind of agree. Surely you see why this is an issue though, right? It's not so much that he didn't have a degree, it's that he lied about having one. If you're willing to make stuff up for a resume to get a job, what else are you willing to compromise honesty, integrity, and ethics for?

 

Yes. It changed my perspective once I learned that degrees are required to be a coach. I had no clue before today.

My prediction is he continues the "I swear I thought I graduated" mantra and Manhattan uses that as a reason to bring him back.

 

"Hey, well make mistakes. His having a degree has no impact on his ability to coach and we're moving forward."

 

Zero chance. They can't do it. What can happen (and I think will, ultimately) is (assuming he is CLOSE) they give him until the fall semester begins to complete it, and if he doesn't, he is terminated. If they terminate him before that it either means that: a) he isn't close and that can't happen through summer classes, or, b) they wanted him out. I don't think the latter is the case based on what I hear from a member of his staff, so "A" would have to be the only plausible reason.

 

He can't and won't work at Manhattan in this capacity without his degree. Period. Impacting his ability to do his job is not up for debate and completely superfluous to the conversation.

  • Author
Zero chance. They can't do it. What can happen (and I think will, ultimately) is (assuming he is CLOSE) they give him until the fall semester begins to complete it, and if he doesn't, he is terminated. If they terminate him before that it either means that: a) he isn't close and that can't happen through summer classes, or, b) they wanted him out. I don't think the latter is the case based on what I hear from a member of his staff, so "A" would have to be the only plausible reason.

 

He can't and won't work at Manhattan in this capacity without his degree. Period. Impacting his ability to do his job is not up for debate and completely superfluous to the conversation.

 

I gotcha. I should have added with the stipulation of working towards his degree.

I'm just going to start telling everyone I went to Harvard and Yale...at the same time. See if anyone looks into it.

This is one of the craziest things that I have ever read about.

If the search firm recommended the offer, why didn't they discover this before the recommendation?

 

If USF jumped the gun, what the hell is the new AD doing?

I'm just going to start telling everyone I went to Harvard and Yale...at the same time. See if anyone looks into it.

 

 

I knew I recognized you. I was Salutorian and finished right behind you Mr. Valedictorian. Those were some tough times at Harvard and Yale weren't they? Did you row crew for both schools? I did. I was All-American at both schools for all 3 years I was there.

You may be correct, however, that day isn't today. No University can / will employ a head coach with no degree. Heck, the VAST majority of them also have their Master's degree (through serving as a G.A. coming up the ranks).

 

You sure?

This kind of reminds me of the Mike Haywood fiasco at Pitt. He left Miami University in December, gets arrested 2 weeks later and is fired. I know his was different but not many times do you quit your previous job to leave for greener pastures and get bit on the rear end immediately.

But if he has no diploma, I've got to think he did not graduate.

 

I guess I am different. I have no clue where my diploma is. I assume I have one somewhere. I didn't attend graduation. The only thing I remember is I did get a picture taken for graduation. Oh, I got a ring too. Don't ask me where it is. :lol2:

I knew I recognized you. I was Salutorian and finished right behind you Mr. Valedictorian. Those were some tough times at Harvard and Yale weren't they? Did you row crew for both schools? I did. I was All-American at both schools for all 3 years I was there.

 

I was also in the Skulls with Pacey from Dawson's Creek.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.