Elizabethtown 71 George Rogers Clark 56

53252b24c7b5f.preview-300.png

Keith Taylor/Sports Editor/ ktaylor@winchestersun.com

Clark coach Robbie Graham hugs daughter Lexxus following the Lady Cardinals' 71-56 loss to Elizabethtown in the semifinals of the state tournament Saturday night at E.A. Diddle Arena in Bowling Green.

Sandra Skinner, who scored 40 points in the first two games of the tournament, including 25 in an opening round 79-70 win over Corbin, was hampered by foul problems and finished with eight points. Skinner fouled out with 4:46 remaining.

In her final game, Lexxus Graham made seven 3-pointers to lead the Lady Cards with 23 points. Graham made back-to-back 3-pointers in the first quarter and repeated the sequence in the third quarter. Graham tied a state tournament record for most 3-pointers made in a game.

“Honestly, I could care less about the 3-point shots,” Lexxus said. “Just making it to the Final Four (was a big accomplishment). It means a lot knowing that we could make it this far.”

Paige Taylor added 10 for Clark, which made 11 shots on 20 attempts from long range.

Although Elizabethtown raced out to a 7-2 lead, the Lady Cards recovered and led twice in the first quarter and trailed 21-19 with 5:23 remaining in the first half.

Despite the inability to handle the Lady Panthers' pressure in the first two quarter, Clark shot 52 percent from the field (11-21) and made four 3-pointers on seven attempts in the first two quarters. Overall, Clark shot 46 percent from the field, including a 55 percent clip from long range.

Graham and Skinner paced Clark with eight points each in the first half.

Clark handled the pressure better in the second half and committed just three miscues in the second half.

Elizabethtown standout Erin Boley was limited to nine points in the first half. Boley, a sophomore, finished with 20 points. Boley made 9-of-11 free throws and was held to five field goals.

The Lady Panthers defeated Montgomery County 45-37 to win the state championship in 1998 at Eastern Kentucky University's McBrayer Arena.

Clark 14 12 14 16 — 56

E-Town 16 24 09 22 — 71

CLARK (27-8) — Anderson 9, Skinner 8, Hamlin 4, Taylor 10, Graham 23, Hardiman 2.

E-Town (32-4) — Boley 20, Cleaver 12, Huff 17, Bowling 5, Warden 15, Mudd 2.

Girls Sweet Sixteen: Clark's run comes to end in loss to Elizabethtown in state semifinals - The Winchester Sun: GRC Sports

I commented favorably on the photo of Coach Graham and his daughter after the District win over MoCo. I find this photo of the two equally compelling.

As I stated previously, everyone of us who have had children compete in athletics can feel the immense emotion, both happiness and sadness, displayed by the Grahams. They are the ultimate winners, getting to enjoy such a fantastic journey together. They will have that to share forever.

That made my day (again!) .... well done!

5325349d74467.image.jpg

Skinner with a strong rebound.

IMAGES

Previous Next

532534ba271c5.image.jpg

Something they didn't want to see....?

[h=3]IMAGES[/h]

Previous Next

532533b736474.image.jpg Taylor splitting the defense.

Lady Cardinals Fall in State Semi-finals photo gallery - The Winchester Sun: GRC Girls At Sweet Sixteen

Buy this photo

And again, thank you to the Winchester Sun for providing such outstanding photography of the Lady Cardinals!! Awesome job!