Found dead on the side of the road in Frankfort

jvdfc

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it, would it…….? After our last wolf thread I saw a documentary on PBS about these guys. Welcome to the discussion the Coywolf:

Coywolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eastern Coyote/Coywolf Research | Dedicated to providing education and scientific research to better protect and conserve eastern coyotes/coywolves

Explains our coyotes on steroids with wolf genes. Search pbs coy wolf and you can watch the documentary.

Could it, would it…….? After our last wolf thread I saw a documentary on PBS about these guys. Welcome to the discussion the Coywolf:

Coywolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eastern Coyote/Coywolf Research | Dedicated to providing education and scientific research to better protect and conserve eastern coyotes/coywolves

Explains our coyotes on steroids with wolf genes. Search pbs coy wolf and you can watch the documentary.

I read your link as well as some info on PBS about them. They aren't any bigger then western coyotes, which is what I understand to be the species living in KY and what IMO is in the pic in the OP.

I read your link as well as some info on PBS about them. They aren't any bigger then western coyotes, which is what I understand to be the species living in KY and what IMO is in the pic in the OP.

More than likely it is a coyote. I understand that, here's the rub. The anti hunting folks are going to begin to play the wolf card from the coy wolf angle. There's a reason why there is an open season year around on the coyote. Their populations are doing very well. I see one every couple weeks it seems hit near the intersection of 275 and 471 near NKU.

There was one on the exit ramp from 471 to 275W that may have been there for 2 days and was picked up just last week. What does a coyote hide go for these days?

The purpose of me introducing the coy wolf was that if they aren't already here. They will be soon enough. I thought the "animal in question" shot last year in Kentucky was found to have had both wolf and coyote genes. The experts knew of coy wolves just didn't expect them to be found this far south.

More than likely it is a coyote. I understand that, here's the rub. The anti hunting folks are going to begin to play the wolf card from the coy wolf angle. There's a reason why there is an open season year around on the coyote. Their populations are doing very well. I see one every couple weeks it seems hit near the intersection of 275 and 471 near NKU.

There was one on the exit ramp from 471 to 275W that may have been there for 2 days and was picked up just last week. What does a coyote hide go for these days?

The purpose of me introducing the coy wolf was that if they aren't already here. They will be soon enough. I thought the "animal in question" shot last year in Kentucky was found to have had both wolf and coyote genes. The experts knew of coy wolves just didn't expect them to be found this far south.

According to this it was all wolf.

NA analysis performed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Wildlife Research Center in Colorado determined the 73-pound animal was a federally endangered gray wolf with a genetic makeup resembling wolves native to the Great Lakes Region. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory in Oregon confirmed the finding.

Yes, it was a wolf, in Kentucky | James Bruggers ? Watchdog Earth

Here's some dollar figures on coyote pelts once cleaned and tanned. Once killed or retrieved from the side of the road a pelt tanner will pay ~ $10-20 based on size and damage to the pelt.

Glacier Wear - Glacier Wear - Coyote Pelts For Sale

Personally I would have no interest in hunting coyotes unless I was a cattle farmer and they were impacting my calf population. I've been told they make bigfoot smell like axe cologne.

Here's some dollar figures on coyote pelts once cleaned and tanned. Once killed or retrieved from the side of the road a pelt tanner will pay ~ $10-20 based on size and damage to the pelt.

Glacier Wear - Glacier Wear - Coyote Pelts For Sale

Personally I would have no interest in hunting coyotes unless I was a cattle farmer and they were impacting my calf population. I've been told they make bigfoot smell like axe cologne.

I can't help but wonder....what primary does the coyote pelt market serve in 2014?

• 2 weeks later...