All the Coaching changes

MHSCardinal

how school districts don't realize the importance of these positions is beyond me. Find positions in the building to take some or most of the load off of people that keep the focus of some (not all) but some students who would be lost without this as an outlet. And how anyone does an AD job while teaching is beyond me.... WAY too much liability & accountability day in and day out.

I think some would be shocked if they knew how many 2A and 1A programs are run without any full time assistant coaches. While this can be done, most of the coaches that do this, do it because they love it. When you stand alone with no backing, then when something does not go as expected then the support for you as well your program is gone. I know of several programs that were run this way for a number of years. Programs were extremely successful but Coaches did not get along with AD/Principals in many ways. Now it seems many programs are under this situation. You cannot coach football effectively with 1 full time coach, and it is not safe.

I remember being very frustrated trying to get my first head coaching job. Now....I regret not enjoying those times more as an assistant. It was a lot more football and fun for me as an assistant. The head coach handled all the tough issues off the field, made sure everything was paid for, etc. while we got to have fun and coach football. If I weren't such a control freak with such strong opinions on certain areas of the game and running a team, I would really enjoy being an assistant again. So, try to enjoy it while you can.

Usually your first head coaching job comes about with one of the following scenarios:

1- take a job no one else wants.

2- interview for a job, come in 2nd or 3rd, the guys above you turn it down and you get it.

3- take over a program after serving as an assistant(usually the best way to start higher up on the food chain).

4-a job opens up late spring or summer, established head coaches won't leave their job, an assistant in another program gets it.

Being a head coach is overrated. Enjoy football without the headaches- be an assistant!

One season, I had a disgruntled parent that showed up about every other Friday night after the game. One of my assistants who knew exactly what he was doing, would say, "Coach Buchanan....Mr. _________ is here to see you. I am leaving and will talk to you tomorrow." :lol2:

One of the many reasons I wonder why you don't see schools employing HCs w/o classroom duties. A lot more are doing supervisory stuff like in-school suspension, though.

Johnny Utah, right on, and now you are responsible for more than ever before from Skin Rash to Heat Index. (Amazing), GCHS this so that they do not have to tie themselves us and can hire a new coach every 4, do not believe the smoke and mirrors of this. This is nothing more than a safety net for the school. Most great football coaches are also great teachers (Not the other way around).