15th Region Tounament at Expo Center...Good Idea or Not?

stark

Donna Damron, executive director of the East KY Expo Center, had this to say at recent news conference concerning the 15th Region Tournament and it's choice of playing at the Expo Center this season.

“Many years ago I was at Allen Central at a regional tournament. And on the way back, a couple of staff members and I talked about how desperately we needed a venue that would be able to host a regional tournament and prepare our students to be able to go to the state tournament, to be fan friendly and we have all that here in this facility.”

Is having the tournament at the Expo Center a good idea or not? Do you think it will dampen the atmoshpere of the tournament, having fans sit high and away from the action, unlike at high school gyms where the noise of a great game is sometimes unbearable and you are on top of the teams and floor?

Or, will the fan friendly bathrooms and chairback seats with concession stands an arm stretch away make fans happy?

Thoughts?

At this time, only six of the 17 schools in the 15th Region meet the committee's criteria to host a regional tournament. Those schools are: Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, Allen Central, Prestonsburg, Pike Central and Shelby Valley.

Why can't Belfry hold the tournament at their new gym? Too far?

Would you rather be at one of those schools or at the Expo Center?

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2006/02/24/sports/02expo.txt

Never been to the place but have heard nothing but great things about it. Places like Sheldon Clark and others have problems due to the lack of places to eat and hospitals not within a quick enough drive if urgent medical treatment is needed. I like the fact that it will be every teams first game at the Expo Center so no team has home court advantage.

I personally think that it will be exciting, especially since it's the first time. And first impressions go a long way. Let's hope the folks at the Expo Center can help this event live up to it's hype.

I'm just wondering what fans will think about sitting high above the court and not up close to the action. Will it take away from the atmosphere that makes the Regional so special?

I personally think that it will be exciting, especially since it's the first time. And first impressions go a long way. Let's hope the folks at the Expo Center can help this event live up to it's hype.

I'm just wondering what fans will think about sitting high above the court and not up close to the action. Will it take away from the atmosphere that makes the Regional so special?

Like I said before I have never been inside the Expo Center so I don't know its layout, but didn't I read somewhere on here that there will be seats behind each goal for the pep sections?

I love the idea. If nothing else, it will get the players used to an arena-type shooting background especially if the students are seated behind the goals. This may help aleviate some of the shooting problems 15th Region teams seem to have in Rupp. Also, there will be plenty of parking, a number of restaurants to choose from and it's not that far from any school.

The only thing that concerns me is that it, of course, won't be filled to capacity. That might take away from the atmosphere.

I love the idea. If nothing else, it will get the players used to an arena-type shooting background especially if the students are seated behind the goals. This may help aleviate some of the shooting problems 15th Region teams seem to have in Rupp.

I agree that shooting in the center will help the 15th region teams player better in Rupp, however, no 15th Region team will be able to handle the winner of the 9th region's defense anyway.

There will be in-zone seating BTW.

Not a good idea, but a GREAT one. It is a great setting for these games.

I agree...having the tournament at the Expo Center is a great idea and hopefully it will be held there every year. The Expo Center is by far the nicest arena/venue east of Lexington and to not have it held there would be crazy IMO.

I think that for the Regional tourney there is going to be seats in both endzones. The seats on the sides of the floor is right on the floor.

Great idea IMO. Plenty of parking, and there will be alot more people come to the games.

I think the Expo center will be a great venue for the 15th. I wish it was built about 4 yrs sooner.

I agree that shooting in the center will help the 15th region teams player better in Rupp, however, no 15th Region team will be able to handle the winner of the 9th region's defense anyway.

There will be in-zone seating BTW.

I think you meant the 7th region's defense.