I think we all agree that UK football is on the uptick....

ACE

.....that being said, assuming that the Stoops and program continue making positive strides, when will the Cats have a minimum of a 9 win season? We have had 8 before, I believe, in the modern era-say last 25 years, but not 9. I do think it will happen, but will be 5-6 years down the road...say, 2017 is my hope.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they can pull off 9-4 if the bowl win makes the 9th victory. When Spurrier leaves SC will fall back to the middle of the pack, and IMO it will take UT just as long to rebuild as it will for UK, so more often than not in the upcoming years, that game will be a tossup. No doubt in my mind that they could go 4-4, maybe even 5-3 in SEC play 3-4 years from now, and with the right non-conference schedule they can pull off 9 wins.

I think they can pull off 9-4 if the bowl win makes the 9th victory. When Spurrier leaves SC will fall back to the middle of the pack, and IMO it will take UT just as long to rebuild as it will for UK, so more often than not in the upcoming years, that game will be a tossup. No doubt in my mind that they could go 4-4, maybe even 5-3 in SEC play 3-4 years from now, and with the right non-conference schedule they can pull off 9 wins.

UT just pulled a top 10 recruiting class, and has a much stronger tradition. If they continue to recruit well, they could rise back pretty quickly. They are only about 10 years removed from a long run of being a national power.

Something I heard was that as good as this recruiting class was for UK, it ranks only 8th in the SEC. To get to 9 wins, things would have to line up just right for UK. Win all their out of conference games, including UofL which is not easy, the toss up games be home games to get the edge and win those and win a game or two they should not and win a bowl game. That is a pretty hefty feat for all those to work out.

Outside of Barker and a few others this recruiting class is vastly overrated. Sure they "invaded" Ohio, but they didn't land any of the top kids in the state and I think we have seen time and again what players from the Midwest look like when playing high end SEC talent. There is a reason Ohio State is cherry picking the top 6 or 7 guys in state and then heading south...

Outside of Barker and a few others this recruiting class is vastly overrated. Sure they "invaded" Ohio, but they didn't land any of the top kids in the state and I think we have seen time and again what players from the Midwest look like when playing high end SEC talent. There is a reason Ohio State is cherry picking the top 6 or 7 guys in state and then heading south...

"Vastly overrated" compared to what? It is rated at the lower end of the SEC but around the low teens overall or a little worse. You are saying it is worse than that or saying UK fans may be over-hyping them?

The latter...

I can buy that. But given that, I can certainly understand the hype angle. UK has probably finished 9th or worse compared to their SEC contemporaries for the past 400 years. But generally their overall ranking will be in the 30s or 40s. That is a big difference.

Rankings are obviously only as good as the results that come of them. Getting some of the public to talk UK football in a positive direction is a win in itself.