Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport Central Catholic 66 Dixie Heights 35

Featured Replies

For those more familiar with the 9th than me, does Covington Catholic have no shot at winning the region?

 

I ask because a bunch only mention Holmes or Newport Central Catholic. I would agree they are heavy favorites, but what kind of chance do the Colonels have?

  • Replies 66
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41945[/ATTACH]

 

Photos:

 

 

 

Nice picture. I love looking in the crowd in these pictures. There are two excited fellas in the crowd.

For those more familiar with the 9th than me, does Covington Catholic have no shot at winning the region?

 

I ask because a bunch only mention Holmes or Newport Central Catholic. I would agree they are heavy favorites, but what kind of chance do the Colonels have?

 

CovCath is a clear #3 in my mind, but to answer your question, I would say they are well behind the top two. I would consider it a significant upset if either NewCath or Holmes don't win the 9th, and extending that, I'd personally consider it a mild upset if it isn't NewCath.

 

To put into a grander context, I truly believe NewCath and Holmes are top 5-7 teams in KY and CovCath is probably in that 18-25 area. They'd be plenty good enough to win several regions, this year, the 9th just isn't one of them.

Did Dixie play zone or man defense?

 

Looks like they played NO defense.

When you say "team isn't 100%" who are you talking about?

 

Hatton isn't there conditioning wise. Not sure how his back is as I haven't talked to him lately.

 

Drew Moore has had a short time to get back in the basketball flow.

 

Last I heard there were a few minor injuries last week but not sure if those were affecting the respective players last night.

Did Dixie play zone or man defense?

 

For a portion of the game it looked like they were playing chase defense. As in, NCC was running a lot and Dixie was trying to keep up.

For those more familiar with the 9th than me, does Covington Catholic have no shot at winning the region?

 

I ask because a bunch only mention Holmes or Newport Central Catholic. I would agree they are heavy favorites, but what kind of chance do the Colonels have?

 

NCC and Holmes are just that much better. They both need the schedules they have to play tough teams in the state to get better. Games like they both played tonight will probably be the norm in the 9th. Co Cath and Cooper will play with them, but just don't have the horses IMO to beat them on any type of normal night.

NewCath will have to be able to run to beat Holmes. Not get in a track meet w/ them, but match them for spurts. Their strength is down low and the high post. Team that with how smart Zack has become running the O, and you have a team that can stay in any game based on defense and a low post offensive presence.

Dixie looked woefully out of shape. The hot pace was mid to late season form from the start. Dixie was one shot and done for the whole first half as NCC dominated the boards. Hatton could not get away from either Moeves brother and this may be due to injury, out of shape, or no real threat to dish to. He showed frustration in the third quarter vs. the in your face defense presented my Moeves and the stripes had to step in. His points were largely at garbage time. At one point he shouted to a team-mate "shoot the _____ ball".

 

I predicted a 14 point win so I was mildly surprised it hovered around 30 points the entire second half.

 

Dixie has a cast of complimentary players and may have just ran into a buzzsaw but I do not see them getting good enough to knock off either NCC or Holmes. I see them a distant 4th or 5th. If NCC makes a few more free throws it could have been 40. There was basically no scoring in the last 4:00 mins of the game.

 

However, It's the first game so everyone has the right to improve, so we'll see.

 

Not to be funny, but I really like Dixie's warm-ups. The candy striped warm-ups similar to IU with a touch of grey are fantastic.

 

Good luck to both teams moving forward.

As I stated in another thread, the 9th region will be won by either NCC or Holmes. I don't think any other team is close to either. It would not surprise me (not saying it won't happen) if either loses to a 9th Region team until their February matchup.

 

WOW, not lose a game in the 9th? And this is your synopsis after (1) game against a team that has (1) serious threat?.....OK

Am I the only one who hates Dixie Height's warm-up bottoms because they look too similar to Indiana's?

 

Edit: swear I hadn't read post #39 before I said that.

How many rebounds did McDonald have?

 

I would estimate at least 15 boards for McDonald. There are a number of things that really impressed the group I was sitting with last night with Drew. One of the most impressive things was the way he attacked the boards. It is very easy to see that this young man really worked during the summer and this fall not only at his game, but with his strength. I was very impressed with Drew's physical appearance, I am not sure how much weight he may have lost, but it is very easy to see how hard this kid has been working. His mobility/agility on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball were a testament to his hard work in the off season.

 

I am not sure who McDonald is training with, but whomever it is has done a great job with this kid. Look for a very good year for him!!

NewCath will have to be able to run to beat Holmes. Not get in a track meet w/ them, but match them for spurts. Their strength is down low and the high post. Team that with how smart Zack has become running the O, and you have a team that can stay in any game based on defense and a low post offensive presence.

Last year NewCath won the run-and-gun OT game vs. Holmes but lost the slowdown game at NKU. NewCath's size is less of a problem for Holmes than Holmes' quickness is for NewCath. Also shouldn't forget that lurking at No. 3 is CovCath, which beat both NewCath and Holmes last year.

If NCC is going to make a run, as it appears they will, then the crowd needs to begin to dress like the guy in the NCC hat. He is rocking the colors. I know we can't all be fashion divas but he has it down.

 

 

 

263352_776076449069073_2027312512_n.jpg

If NCC is going to make a run, as it appears they will, then the crowd needs to begin to dress like the guy in the NCC hat. He is rocking the colors. I know we can't all be fashion divas but he has it down.

 

Which guy do you mean?

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41967[/ATTACH]

 

Which guy do you mean?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.