Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport Central Catholic 66 Dixie Heights 35

Featured Replies

NCC

 

LB answered my question but thanks.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author
Basketball, Boys:

Newport Central Catholic 66, Dixie Heights 35:

This one was thought to be a tight battle between two 9th Region contenders.

But the host Thoroughbreds dominated from start to finish in the season opener for both teams.

NewCath had balanced scoring with three players in double figures. Drew McDonald led the way with 18 points with Zach Pangallo scoring 14 and Ben Weyer 11 to go with eight rebounds. Senior Jake Schulte followed with eight points and 13 rebounds.

The Moeves brothers also had good debuts for NewCath. Tanner Moeves scored eight and Grant Moeves had seven.

NewCath held Dixie Heights senior standout Brandon Hatton to 14 points. The University of Vermont commit did not score any points in the first half.

All was not perfect for the Thoroughbreds. They made just 18-of-33 free throws for 55 percent compared to 15-of-23 for 65 percent for the Colonels.

NewCath does not play again for a week. The Thoroughbreds travel to Dayton to open 36th District play. Game time is 7:30 p.m.

 

Fort Thomas Sports: Tuesday Basketball Briefs

 

:eek:

 

They most likely have the best starting 5 in the Region .

 

I think that is a foregone conclusion, the question is how many better are in KY?

As I stated in another thread, the 9th region will be won by either NCC or Holmes. I don't think any other team is close to either. It would not surprise me (not saying it won't happen) if either loses to a 9th Region team until their February matchup.

  • Author

Can't wait for Walter's video highlights of this game..............COME ON MAN!!!! :lol2:

A few thoughts:

 

1. Zack Pangallo is going to be a problem for teams this year. Got to the rim when he wanted. Pull up jumper was automatic. Great court vision. Smoooooooooth.

 

2. Jake Schulte and Drew McDonald compliment eachother so well. Schulte blocks shots and rebounds while finishing when given the opportunity, while McDonald scores in multiple ways.

 

3. Grant and Tanner Moeves don't do anything spectacular but play an all around solid game at both ends. Both nice players.

 

4. Soph Ben Weyer started and played well tonight. Aggressive at both ends and played with a little bit of a mean streak.

 

Only down fall, which has been stated time after time is the depth. Against a quicker team, I can see them possibly getting in some foul trouble, forcing them to go to the bench. 1 through 6, however, they are as good as you'll see. Ballard is the only team I can think of around the state with a more complete starting 5.

 

Dixie will get better. Unlike Newcath, they haven't had all summer to work on the things that make Newcath so good. Give them time and you'll see a team that is tough to handle later in the season.

 

I agree with Ennam that Bolin looked good tonight. He held his own against Schulte in the limited mins they were matched up. Needs to get more aggressive on defense but looked good on offense.

 

Overall, a solid opening night for the Breds.

Can't wait for Walter's video highlights of this game..............COME ON MAN!!!! :lol2:

 

Probably have them up late tomorrow night.

I would say it was more than a solid opener for NCC. Seems like they are already in mid season form. I guess that is the luxury of having your top 6 players hoopin it up since July.

After all the talk about the depth of Dixie's team, I was expecting more. After all the talk about the improvement of Dixie's Junior class to supplement Hatton, I was expecting a better game.

 

I guess NewCath is just THAT good.

After all the talk about the depth of Dixie's team, I was expecting more. After all the talk about the improvement of Dixie's Junior class to supplement Hatton, I was expecting a better game.

 

I guess NewCath is just THAT good.

 

you are funny

.....

 

So the now famous "supporting cast" had 21 points combined? NewCath is awesome, but this was even more lopsided than I thought. I may have had Dixie too high at 7th....and they most assuredly aren't 3rd.

 

For about 5 reasons, sadly, I don't think we'll see the real Hatton at any point this season. A shame too, after a tremendous career.

 

I hope Front of the Rim stops by....:D

 

Like I mentioned in State Top 25 thread, NewCath was too low. Their starting 5 is AWESOME.

I really didn't think it would be that bad, but you had it right,almost. It was 11 popints MORE than you thought. NCC was unstopable.

Basketball, Boys:

Newport Central Catholic 66, Dixie Heights 35:

This one was thought to be a tight battle between two 9th Region contenders.

But the host Thoroughbreds dominated from start to finish in the season opener for both teams.

NewCath had balanced scoring with three players in double figures. Drew McDonald led the way with 18 points with Zach Pangallo scoring 14 and Ben Weyer 11 to go with eight rebounds. Senior Jake Schulte followed with eight points and 13 rebounds.

The Moeves brothers also had good debuts for NewCath. Tanner Moeves scored eight and Grant Moeves had seven.

NewCath held Dixie Heights senior standout Brandon Hatton to 14 points. The University of Vermont commit did not score any points in the first half.

All was not perfect for the Thoroughbreds. They made just 18-of-33 free throws for 55 percent compared to 15-of-23 for 65 percent for the Colonels.

NewCath does not play again for a week. The Thoroughbreds travel to Dayton to open 36th District play. Game time is 7:30 p.m.

 

 

Fort Thomas Sports: Tuesday Basketball Briefs

How many rebounds did McDonald have?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.