Girls High School Soccer Style vs College Style

Question for all the soccer gurus.

Is it me or is Girls HS soccer a very, very dangerous sport compared to the collegiate level?

My daughter played HS and now plays College and the one thing that jumps off the page to me is the college players play on their feet and are rarely ever on the ground.

At the HS level, it is a freaking free for all, see how hard you can hit or attempt to knock your opponent off their feet most noticeably from behind.

I must say I was very nervous about my daughter playing at the next level because of how physical the game appeared but once I watched some of her college games it settled my concerns.

Point of the thread is that HS needs to get a handle on the unnecessary fouls and start playing the game the way it is supposed to be played.

I have sons who played football and I was more comfortable with them playing this sport then my daughter playing soccer.

Soooo,who do you blame? Is it the referees, the KHSAA, the select programs, the goofy parents, Lets hear it...

My reply isn't meant to be a universal answer that applies to all games/schools/etc., but I think lower skill level and diverse athletic ability create an environment ripe for increased physical and/or dangerous play. The kids want to be competitive and they are cheered when they offer 100% effort, so if they lack in some skill or athletic ability, they'll resort to fouling to maintain some level of competitiveness. There is nothing wrong with physical play that falls within the rules, but that can be a wavy line for some.

There's little doubt that dangerous play can escalate quickly and it helps to have a strong officiating crew to get it turned around but I think there are two very important groups missing from the list of "who to blame": coaches & players.

Coaches are the leaders, they set the example, they guide their players. Secondly, I think players have a responsibility to avoid dangerous play. And I put the referees third. They are left to judge and apply the rules. If the first two do their job ... it never gets to the third. It may sound idealistic, but I think the responsibility and professionalism that coaches and players maintain at higher levels of play is the reason you've noticed a safer environment at the college level.

I know I missed the role of the parents in this discussion, but I think sports should be one of those activities that parents should take a back seat. Sports should be an opportunity to let your kids learn from others. Maybe the most important role of the parent is to remove their kids from the activity when coaches, players, and refs aren't holding up their end of the bargain. Or at least have open discussions with their kids about these instances when they occur.

Thanks for the reply Easy, I appreciate the explanation as I am ignorant to this sport and wasn't real sure what to expect.

Girls HS in NKY is down right the nastiest, roughest game I have every seen kids play without equipment...JMO

[QUOTE=EasyG;4807499]My reply isn't meant to be a universal answer that applies to all games/schools/etc., but I think lower skill level and diverse athletic ability create an environment ripe for increased physical and/or dangerous play. The kids want to be competitive and they are cheered when they offer 100% effort, so if they lack in some skill or athletic ability, they'll resort to fouling to maintain some level of competitiveness. There is nothing wrong with physical play that falls within the rules, but that can be a wavy line for some.

There's little doubt that dangerous play can escalate quickly and it helps to have a strong officiating crew to get it turned around but I think there are two very important groups missing from the list of "who to blame": coaches & players.

Coaches are the leaders, they set the example, they guide their players. Secondly, I think players have a responsibility to avoid dangerous play. And I put the referees third. They are left to judge and apply the rules. If the first two do their job ... it never gets to the third. It may sound idealistic, but I think the responsibility and professionalism that coaches and players maintain at higher levels of play is the reason you've noticed a safer environment at the college level.

I know I missed the role of the parents in this discussion, but I think sports should be one of those activities that parents should take a back seat. Sports should be an opportunity to let your kids learn from others. Maybe the most important role of the parent is to remove their kids from the activity when coaches, players, and refs aren't holding up their end of the bargain. Or at least have open discussions with their kids about these instances when they occur.

I would tend to disagree with this first part, having a daughter that played the previous 4 years I would say the skilled players were by far the most physical of them all. Sure a couple of girls that maybe were not as skilled my get a cheap shot in when they could but so did the skilled players.

My daughter played with Sam Bradford from HC when she was a senior, she kicked the crap out of everyone and she went D1 to UAB.

Most of NDA's players are always skilled but they are also very physical. They send a lot of kids to college.

Libby Leedom was probably the best player to come out of NKY in years and even though she is very skilled she got her hands dirty when she needed to.

My daughter was a very physical player actually breaking a goalies nose her freshman year, she didn't recieve a card or anything it was just one of those tough plays. She scored upwards of 40 goals in a little under 3 years, wasn't the most skilled player but had to be doing something right to put those numbers up.

Thanks for the reply Easy, I appreciate the explanation as I am ignorant to this sport and wasn't real sure what to expect.

Girls HS in NKY is down right the nastiest, roughest game I have every seen kids play without equipment...JMO

I would agree but wasn't it so much fun!

I would agree but wasn't it so much fun!

Heck ya, sports are fun, hs girls soccer is just like any other competitive hs girls sport in that the intimidation factor and physicality of the players is key components to being successful imo.

I agree with the reasoning. Lower skill level against higher skill level can lead to frustration on the field along with the high competitiveness of girls sports today. This overly aggressive style is being taught at some of the area select clubs. I can tell you for a fact though that its not something that is supposed to be taught at KINGS/HAMMER or NKSA. Sure, they are taught to play aggressive but not to foul every chance they get. There is a difference in playing aggressive and being a hack. A lot of these girls playing today are more of hack style. I have never seen so many girls getting rolled over after releasing the ball than I have seen this year. Basically just a cheap shot after the ball has been played. The refs need to get control more. They should be able to tell the difference in good physical play and cheap dirty play. If they foul warrants a Yellow or Red Card then give it. No one wants their daughter to have their soccer career cut short because of a cheap play. By the way Sweeperboy, how is her season going? I saw her play in high school and watched a few of her games for Kings when playing for Coach Hughes and thought she was a very good player.

I agree with the reasoning. Lower skill level against higher skill level can lead to frustration on the field along with the high competitiveness of girls sports today. This overly aggressive style is being taught at some of the area select clubs. I can tell you for a fact though that its not something that is supposed to be taught at KINGS/HAMMER or NKSA. Sure, they are taught to play aggressive but not to foul every chance they get. There is a difference in playing aggressive and being a hack. A lot of these girls playing today are more of hack style. I have never seen so many girls getting rolled over after releasing the ball than I have seen this year. Basically just a cheap shot after the ball has been played. The refs need to get control more. They should be able to tell the difference in good physical play and cheap dirty play. If they foul warrants a Yellow or Red Card then give it. No one wants their daughter to have their soccer career cut short because of a cheap play. By the way Sweeperboy, how is her season going? I saw her play in high school and watched a few of her games for Kings when playing for Coach Hughes and thought she was a very good player.

We have a winner here.

Kings gets it with his response and it is what I was looking for in my thread questions.

Something about going to one of these HS games that can drive a parent absolutely nuts.

Between the cheap shots, the parents screaming at the refs and players, watching one girl run up and down the field and take shots whether she is open or not I can only sit back now and look back and say WOW!!!

My fear as a parent was if HS was as dangerous as it was then College could be life threatining and I am here to say it is the total opposite.

My point of this thread is there is a great game of Soccer and I am experiencing it at the College level. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Sweeper,

This thread scares me to death. I have an 8 yr old daughter who loves soccer, plays club and school ball. She's not the best player, but not the worst either. She's in a Catholic school and will likely go to a Catholic HS. What advice would you give on what to look for based upon what you've already been through? It's physical at U9, so HS scares me to death.

Sweeper,

This thread scares me to death. I have an 8 yr old daughter who loves soccer, plays club and school ball. She's not the best player, but not the worst either. She's in a Catholic school and will likely go to a Catholic HS. What advice would you give on what to look for based upon what you've already been through? It's physical at U9, so HS scares me to death.

I have a 7 year old playing select/club soccer now. By the time our girls get to high school, I have a feeling it will just be recreational soccer. The better players are just going to stick with their club teams as they'll start having a fall season for the high school kids. A neighbor of ours has a daughter in Ohio that is a sophomore standout. Her club coach and some college coaches have advised her to not play high school and stick with the club team. The high school game seems to be getting more and more out of hand each year as it pertains to the girls. I spoke with a couple refs last year, and the things that go on in the girls' games just blow my mind.

BTW, what club does she play for? My daughter played in a u9 academy last year, and we went down to Louisville and E-town a few times for games.

Great Post and perspective! I think this is predominantly right on. Makes me feel better about situation.

She plays for Javanon Soccer Club. I think its a good club and good competition.

I think we played Javanon down in E-town during the spring season last year. We played across the railroad tracks from the E-town Sports Complex. They destroyed us.

I think we played Javanon down in E-town during the spring season last year. We played across the railroad tracks from the E-town Sports Complex. They destroyed us.

Jav has some good teams. They stress good footwork and ball control heavily. Best of luck to your daughter!

I was thinking about this the other day. I think by the time our girls are our age that soccer will surpass baseball not only in # of kids playing it, but also in total fans. Baseballs unwillingness to make changes is costing it fans. More and more US folks are catching on to soccer. If the US National Team continues its upward tick then it will likely happen sooner.

• 10 months later...

Refs need to get it under control or better yet KHSAA needs to train the refs better. The girls train most of the year but the refs seem to rarely improve. There are many good ones but the ones that are inconsistent and can't call a foul or pull a card, should get a limit of warning or poor reviews before the can't be a center judge.

Agressive, tough play is great but drill a girl before she gets the ball or a step after she kicks it, is a complete foul. It is usually the better players that are more agressive that tend to do this time and time again and many refs just will not call it. but when the next game is a boys game the the new center judge starts calling the body checks immediately, it quickly stands out that the center judge for the girls game should not be allowed to ref that position. I think this is why you see more girls on the ground and hurt more. If the fouls are called more often and more consistent and more yellow/red cards are used, it will change the mentality of the game and make it safer. Otherwise, maybe the girls should be forced to wear helmets to prevent all of the head injuries. Not trying to blame the refs for the injuries and players on the ground but the refs are the ones that need to control the game. If they do not know the rules or not consistent, they need retraining and constructive official reviews. Otherwise, get them off the field.

I only watched a few girls college games and it was an immediate observation that the refs are quick to call the fouls even on the offensive player kicking the ball first but out of control with her body slamming into her opponent. It quickly changes the mindset of the game, and those situations don't occur much.