Newport Central Catholic 3 Campbell County 0

Dlbdonn

The Breds win 3-0, including a "stunning" game 2, where the Camels had a 24-19 advantage and fall 26-24.

The Camels do win the Frosh and JV matches in convincing fashion, 2-0 in both. Hang in there girls.

Very nice crowd tonight, especially by the NewCath students. :thumb:

By G. MICHAEL GRAHAM

Fort Thomas Matters Sports Reporter

The Newport Central Catholic Thoroughbreds girls soccer team advanced to the 9th Region All “A” Classic with a 1-0 semifinal win over Villa Madonna on Wednesday.

Chandler Cain scored the one goal for NewCath. Villa Madonna only took one shot and NewCath goalkeeper Meg Martin saved it.

The Thoroughbreds return to Eva Ferris Park in Covington on Saturday for the championship. Game time is Noon.

Volleyball:

Newport Central Catholic 3, Campbell County 0:

The Thoroughbreds (2-3) handled the defending 10th Region champions on Wednesday in Alexandria.

The scores were 25-18, 26-24, 25-17. NewCath trailed 2-13 in the second game before making a comeback.

Alyssa Maier recorded 21 assists and 10 digs to lead NewCath and Rachel McDonald recorded 12 kills. Three other Thoroughbred hitters in Jamie Lohr, Nikki Kiernan and Keyaira Lankheit recorded five kills each and Madison Volk had 14 digs.

NewCath plays host to Covington Holy Cross on Tuesday. Game time is 7:30 p.m.

Fort Thomas Sports: Wednesday NewCath Sports Briefs

I would say this was a surprising outcome since most had this match pegged as a toss up between 2 fairly similar teams. I don't think anyone predicted a 3-0 sweep by either team.

I would also add that if the supposed best team in the 10th region can't hold a 13-2 lead in a set, then I would say the 10th region is wide open and up for grabs this year.

I would say this was a surprising outcome since most had this match pegged as a toss up between 2 fairly similar teams. I don't think anyone predicted a 3-0 sweep by either team.

I would also add that if the supposed best team in the 10th region can't hold a 13-2 lead in a set, then I would say the 10th region is wide open and up for grabs this year.

Couldn't agree more. Congrats to NCC for taking care of buisness. They seem like a well rounded team. The camels better figure something out quickly and start playing and communicating as a team. They are not going to hand you the 10th region championship, your going to have to dig in and earn it, from top to bottom. If they keep this up they will be lucky to get out of the district.