Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Louisville rumor???

Featured Replies

If I had to guess, I'm thinking the truth is somewhere in the middle. Do I think the UL media is as in the bag with the UL Athletic Department as Matt Jones claims? No. Is there some bias? Yes. But if I'm a media member, I'm not reporting something like this unless I have concrete evidence.

 

At the same time, I have to think that there is probably something to the story, especially since it was UL folks who originally spread the rumor(s). I don't know how much of it is true, but I'm guessing Kevin Ware was disciplined for something.

  • Replies 196
  • Views 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones and his fans should be proud of what he has done instead of trying to make it more than it is.

No offense, 02Ram54, but you can't have it both ways. On one hand people want to paint Jones as some kind of loon that all UK fans follow (which is a sizable following), then on the other say he is not that big of a deal. To get back to your conservative talk show analogy, it is kind of like saying all Republicans follow in the footsteps of Rush Limbaugh and he is the voice of Republican leadership. I have read that many times. It may be what you want to be the case since it fits your narrative and you know he is a loon, but most do not take Rush as seriously some would believe. I give people more credit than that. They are entertainers. Maybe that is me just being naive.

And for the record, I can't tell you the last time I visited the website and once listened to him for 5 minutes on a podcast and turned it off. That is my extent of Matt Jones worshiping. But for him to be as insignificant as he is, I see just as many UL people talking about him as I do UK fans. Seems like he does something right though I think he flagrantly wrong in his approach.

No offense, 02Ram54, but you can't have it both ways. On one hand people want to paint Jones as some kind of loon that all UK fans follow (which is a sizable following), then on the other say he is not that big of a deal. To get back to your conservative talk show analogy, it is kind of like saying all Republicans follow in the footsteps of Rush Limbaugh and he is the voice of Republican leadership. I have read that many times. It may be what you want to be the case since it fits your narrative and you know he is a loon, but most do not take Rush as seriously some would believe. I give people more credit than that. They are entertainers. Maybe that is me just being naive.

 

Very much agree. :thumb:

But for him to be as insignificant as he is, I see just as many UL people talking about him as I do UK fans.

 

Exactly.

Bozich is an IU guy to his bones. Gary Gupton is a Kentucky fan. Crawford wrote a book with Pitino, but I'm almost certain he grew up a Cats fan. He wrote with real reverence a few weeks ago about his first trip to Rupp as a kid. I don't think he's a Calipari fan. On the other hand, the new editor at the CJ played football for Kentucky. To act like the Louisville media are monolithicly UofL fans is either stupid or wilfully dishonest. Matt Jones isn't stupid, so the only conclusion I can draw is he knows what pays the bills.

Well, where I live the media is clearly in the tank for Murray State. And that is cool by me :D Luckily I do not have to view the peeing battle that takes place in the eastern time zone.

My point being that even if some media members are Louisville fans, it's not a one-horse town. Someone would run the story.

My point being that even if some media members are Louisville fans, it's not a one-horse town. Someone would run the story.

From my exposure to the Louisville media coverage I have never gotten the sense either side is unfairly represented. However, they should trash IU every chance they get.

From my exposure to the Louisville media coverage I have never gotten the sense either side is unfairly represented. However, they should trash IU every chance they get.

 

My impression is that concerns of being accused of bias causes them to be deferential to both programs. The coverage for both schools has a more positive tone than you get in Lexington.

If I had to guess, I'm thinking the truth is somewhere in the middle. Do I think the UL media is as in the bag with the UL Athletic Department as Matt Jones claims? No. Is there some bias? Yes. But if I'm a media member, I'm not reporting something like this unless I have concrete evidence.

 

At the same time, I have to think that there is probably something to the story, especially since it was UL folks who originally spread the rumor(s). I don't know how much of it is true, but I'm guessing Kevin Ware was disciplined for something.

 

Something probably did happen. But being disciplined and Kevin Ware being kicked off the team, but then let back on so so there wouldn't be a story (as Matt Jones told it) are two completely different things. No Louisville media (or any media for that matter) reported it, because as a smart journalist, you don't report something that isn't true. If the story were truly as big and relevant as Jones painted it to be, HE could have reported it, but didn't. Why?

Something probably did happen. But being disciplined and Kevin Ware being kicked off the team, but then let back on so so there wouldn't be a story (as Matt Jones told it) are two completely different things. No Louisville media (or any media for that matter) reported it, because as a smart journalist, you don't report something that isn't true. If the story were truly as big and relevant as Jones painted it to be, HE could have reported it, but didn't. Why?

 

I'm trying to imagine this article appearing in my copy of the C-J on Monday morning:

 

"Rumors circulated over the weekend that Kevin Ware had been kicked off the University of Louisville basketball team for an undisclosed violation of team rules. Those rumors turned out not to be true."

 

Good lead... Good journalism...

Something probably did happen. But being disciplined and Kevin Ware being kicked off the team, but then let back on so so there wouldn't be a story (as Matt Jones told it) are two completely different things. No Louisville media (or any media for that matter) reported it, because as a smart journalist, you don't report something that isn't true. If the story were truly as big and relevant as Jones painted it to be, HE could have reported it, but didn't. Why?

 

Something probably did happen and similar things happen weekly with pretty much every team in college basketball at all levels. These are kids...they break curfew, they sneak out of their rooms and gulp...they drink, have sex, etc. etc. You won't find a college coach who doesn't deal with these issues often.

I'm trying to imagine this article appearing in my copy of the C-J on Monday morning:

 

"Rumors circulated over the weekend that Kevin Ware had been kicked off the University of Louisville basketball team for an undisclosed violation of team rules. Those rumors turned out not to be true."

 

Good lead... Good journalism...

 

:lol2::lol2:

Something probably did happen. But being disciplined and Kevin Ware being kicked off the team, but then let back on so so there wouldn't be a story (as Matt Jones told it) are two completely different things. No Louisville media (or any media for that matter) reported it, because as a smart journalist, you don't report something that isn't true. If the story were truly as big and relevant as Jones painted it to be, HE could have reported it, but didn't. Why?

 

As I said before, I'm in agreement that you don't report it unless you have definitive evidence.

 

From what Jones said yesterday, he didn't report it for that reason. His assertion is that the UL media either: A) Did know it & didn't report or B) Didn't thoroughly investigate the rumors.

 

Like I said, if I had to guess, there is truth to the rumor(s). Probably disciplinary action of some sort & maybe even an indefinite suspension. Ware has already experienced a suspension like this in the recent past. However, I'm not convinced that everyone in the UL media purposefully kept the information hidden.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.