August 14, 201313 yr Has Jones ever said anything negative about UK? Depends on how you define "negative" IMO. A recurring joke on the show is Eric Bledsoe passing Algebra 3 before taking Algebra 2. In fact, that was mentioned today. And the Tubby Smith/Randolph Morris fax thing is a favorite joke as well. Basically, I think Jones acknowledges that those two situations in particular were dirty. He took issue with Cal saying that the 2010 NBA Draft was the best night in school history. He makes fun of Cal's gut & clothes that he wears. Other than those few things, Jones is overwhelmingly UK-positive. And he admits that.
August 14, 201313 yr You think Cal controls Lexington media? Yes. Not sure if he does it on purpose or not but either way he controls the media.
August 14, 201313 yr Yes. Not sure if he does it on purpose or not but either way he controls the media. I don't think he controls what they say at all. I think he loathes the Lexington media, particularly Tipton. When he wants to make headlines, he gets Andy Katz on line 4. Maybe Mike DeCourcy. And conversely, I don't think the Lexington media...actually, I should say the LHL...gives a crap about what Cal thinks. Maybe I'm wrong though. There's a first time for everything. :lol2:
August 14, 201313 yr If Cal controlled Lexington media Jerry Tipton would be unemployed . Next theory.
August 14, 201313 yr My favorite Cal line ever was when he asked Jerry Tipton at a presser if he was the real Jerry Tipton. :lol2:
August 14, 201313 yr Depends on how you define "negative" IMO. A recurring joke on the show is Eric Bledsoe passing Algebra 3 before taking Algebra 2. In fact, that was mentioned today. And the Tubby Smith/Randolph Morris fax thing is a favorite joke as well. Basically, I think Jones acknowledges that those two situations in particular were dirty. He took issue with Cal saying that the 2010 NBA Draft was the best night in school history. He makes fun of Cal's gut & clothes that he wears. Other than those few things, Jones is overwhelmingly UK-positive. And he admits that. Most UK fans make fun of Eric Bledsoe for some reason. Can't understand that. Tubby is hated. He doesn't count as negative UK press. Cal did have a blunder but was still given a pass for that. Cal's gut?........#fatjason Jones graduated from Duke and despises Duke. Yeah, I went to UK and loved evey second up there but I didn't graduate and with each passing year I hate UK less. Calipari has won me over like the #1 PG on recruiting boards. What can I say?
August 14, 201313 yr If Cal controlled Lexington media Jerry Tipton would be unemployed . Next theory. That may be a stretch. Do you really think Jurich can get a journalist fired? When can I get a documented report on World Wide Wes and his relationship to Cal and his recruits?
August 14, 201313 yr That's cute. Let's act like he doesn't have a radio show in 23 markets in the state and he is #1 in his time slot in most if not all. #1 in Louisville. Yes he is one of the top media members in the state . Makes your blood boil doesn't it . His timeslot sucks. He's beating out Mandy Connell on WHAS and the Diane Rheem show on NPR, along with Joe B and Denny talking about fishing. Move him up to the afternoon or put him on at night and he gets crushed. It certainly doesn't make my blood boil. Jones has had success pandering to a a portion of the UK fan base. As a business model that is a winner, with a clear analog in conservative talk radio. But when he (and his disciples) start spouting some self-aggrandizing crap, I don't mind saying so. Matt Jones has his niche, but he'll never grow out of it. The most glorious media member of the state has proven that twice now. He'd hate to hear the comparison, but it's just like when Rush Limbaugh tried to do anything outiside of his show.
August 14, 201313 yr For the record I define success by having the biggest radio show and website in the state. Matt has both. Card fans can scream bloody murder but it is what it is . You keep dropping caveats- biggest radio show in the state (at 10 in the morning), biggest website in the state (if you don't count the courierjournal.com, kentucky.com, etc) Jones and his fans should be proud of what he has done instead of trying to make it more than it is.
August 14, 201313 yr Most UK fans make fun of Eric Bledsoe for some reason. Can't understand that. Tubby is hated. He doesn't count as negative UK press. Cal did have a blunder but was still given a pass for that. Cal's gut?........#fatjason Jones graduated from Duke and despises Duke. Yeah, I went to UK and loved evey second up there but I didn't graduate and with each passing year I hate UK less. Calipari has won me over like the #1 PG on recruiting boards. What can I say? On Bledsoe...I don't think some people are necessarily making fun of him. I know I'm not & I don't think Jones is. It's just that everyone knows that was crooked stuff going on. I think there are some who do make fun of him because if you've ever heard him give an interview, well... Jones loves Tubby. I like Tubby. But that magical fax was dirtier than Bledsoe's Algebra classes. Tubby got away with it because he is immensely respected, but come on. :lol2: Cal's gut > Fat Jason's gut??? Or is it the other way around? You need to just come out & declare your love for the Cats. We all know it. :lol2:
August 14, 201313 yr KSR has become a monster. What Jones needs to do is stick with that. He went off to CBS & failed. He actually admitted this on the show after it happened, which surprised me. KSTV was his baby for a year, but the few times I watched it, I didn't like it. Blogging & radio, both focused on UK stuff, that's what he needs to stick to IMO. I think he's way too aggressive in going after media members (Pete Thamel being an exception...Bobby Knight too, but I think everyone realizes he's an idiot). Media people focus a lot on UK because UK means attention, for both good & bad. Exactly. Jones has thrived stirring up the UK fan base, and reporting on everything UK. That's what he does. I would hope that in Kentucky, especially since so many think there is only one school in our beloved state, his website would get the most traffic. I'd hope that in the time slot he's in, that he'd have the best ratings. That seems like a no-brainer to me. That doesn't make him the most successful media member in the state, to me. Heck, he doesn't even consider himself a media member, as he was crying about how they were "attacking" him yesterday. As several people have pointed out, he's tried to grow outside of KSR, and he's failed. Unless he goes through a pretty significant change, he'll never be more than what he is now. And for many, that works.
August 14, 201313 yr I'm about halfway through yesterday's 2nd hour. Jones hasn't said much more, but did say the story from his vantage point is not about Kevin Ware. He said that he felt like this kind of thing happened to a lot of different kids at a lot of different programs (getting kicked off & then brought back on). He said that for him, this was more about a media that tries to envision itself as "Woodward & Bernstein." He said the UL media is just like him--they are biased toward their team. He says the difference is that he admits his bias, while they do not. A caller phoned in & supported what Jones is saying about the media. As an example, he cited the time when UK landed Marquis Teague. An assistant at UL, who was some sort of coach for Teague in high school, was very quickly let go after that happened. According to the caller, the UL media gave that very little coverage & he also said that it was either UK fans or a UK site that broke the story. I have no idea about the UL media. I know the name Eric Crawford from listening to KSR & from reading this thread. I have a hard time thinking he is without bias, simply because he has co-authored a book with Rick Pitino.
August 14, 201313 yr You need to just come out & declare your love for the Cats. We all know it. :lol2: I love closet UK fans haha!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.