Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Donovan McNabb to retire.....is he a Hall of Famer

Is Donovan McNabb worthy of the Hall of Fame? 14 members have voted

  1. 1. Is Donovan McNabb worthy of the Hall of Fame?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

HOF no debate even needed.

 

No debate? Of course there's a debate. The hall of fame is reserved for the best of the best.

 

McNabb was good but he never won the big one. I think if he had won one Super Bowl he would have been guaranteed to get in. Without it...i dont know.

  • Replies 62
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say this, McNabb is definitely not a first ballot HOF'er.

  • Author
I love Mcnabb....but top three?? I'm not so sure. Wasn't better than Brady, Manning, Warner, or Brees. Never won an MVP or Super Bowl. Looking at past QB's not in the Hall of Fame...Was he better than Phil Simms, Ken Anderson, Joe Theismann, Kenny Stabler?? All guys with similar or better numbers.

 

Maybe top 5 is better. Brees didn't come on until McNabb was on the downside of his career. I'll give you Brady and Manning. Warner is debatable. Warner was hot and cold and McNabb had a great run in the early 2000s.

  • Author
No debate? Of course there's a debate. The hall of fame is reserved for the best of the best.

 

McNabb was good but he never won the big one. I think if he had won one Super Bowl he would have been guaranteed to get in. Without it...i dont know.

 

I thought of this as well but there are quite a few QBs who never won titles. Warren Moon didn't even play in a Super Bowl if I am not mistaken.

  • Author
I will say this, McNabb is definitely not a first ballot HOF'er.

 

I agree.

  • Author
Yes it is something to consider. But remember, he played his whole career in a pass happy system. And while he had very good numbers, he was never a terribly accurate QB (59% for his career). And for comparison sake, take a look a Jeff Garcia's numbers. Almost a carbon copy of Mcnabb's (except Garcia was a starter for a few less years). And in 2006, when Garcia took over for an injured Mcnabb, he put up a better completion percentage and had a better winning percentage, and scored more pts in his six starts with the same pedestrian receivers that Mcnabb had in 10 starts.

 

The stats in post #2 makes 59% look pretty damn good for a career.

As a lifelong Eagle fan and subsequent McNabb fan, he just never felt like a HOFer to me. Donovan always left me hanging and wanting something just a little bit more than what he was ever able to deliver.

McNabb may be a HoFer but there are a few other QB's I'd like to see in before he gets in. McNabb was very consistent but never seemed dominant...at the end of the day he was a pretty good QB and does deserve to get in at some point.

As a lifelong Eagle fan and subsequent McNabb fan, he just never felt like a HOFer to me. Donovan always left me hanging and wanting something just a little bit more than what he was ever able to deliver.

 

I couldn't agree more. It always seemed like he was just a little short of everything. Very good, but not great, had a lot of wins, but no big wins. As I look back, I just don't see anything that defines him, or makes him stand out or above the other great quarterbacks of that era. There were always 4 or 5 guys that were better than him, and without something else to make him stand out (ie, records that he holds, super bowl titles, etc), I just can't put him in the HOF.

Does Rush Limbaugh have a vote?

At first blush, I say no. But his numbers, minus the ring, are very good. I often wondered how he would do in a different offense. I would argue that apart from Reid's offense, he'd have been even better. So, perhaps my gut is wrong.

At first blush, I say no. But his numbers, minus the ring, are very good. I often wondered how he would do in a different offense. I would argue that apart from Reid's offense, he'd have been even better. So, perhaps my gut is wrong.

 

I always thought Donovan lucked out having Reid his entire career. They complimented one another nicely. Donovan was never accurate from any distance, but I believe the short passing game out of the backfield helped him immensely. Even then there were countless times he would throw it at the feet of his backs and receivers and it would drive me nuts. He did posses a certain intangible quality that could get Philadelphia by most teams, but never get them over the hump. A couple of the NFC title game losses were really bad for his legacy. They should have made it to the big game at least a couple more times.

 

He was handicapped by never having good receivers. His first few years his main targets were James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, and Freddie Mitchell. T.O. was a huge get and you could see the results, but equally important was when they drafted Brian Westbrook. Plus they always had the top secondary in the league for about a 5 year span. They were stacked in the defensive backfield.

I believe that McNabb should a be a HOFer for sure, but I'm very biased. If he does get in, I think he might have had the worst receiving core of any HOF QB.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.