Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Donovan McNabb to retire.....is he a Hall of Famer

Is Donovan McNabb worthy of the Hall of Fame? 14 members have voted

  1. 1. Is Donovan McNabb worthy of the Hall of Fame?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Great discussion going on twitter about whether McNabb is a Hall of Famer or not.

 

 

He will retire on Monday as an Eagle.

 

 

I'll post some stats.....

  • Replies 62
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

@RoobCSN: 8 QBs in NFL history completed 59% of their passes & threw for 35,000 yards. McNabb, Marino, Montana, Kelly, P. Manning. Brady, Brees, Favre

  • Author

@RoobCSN: Every other quarterback in Eagles history won a combined 10 playoff games. McNabb won 9.

  • Author

McNabb finished with 234 TDs, 117 INTs, 37,276 Yards and an 85.6 QB Rating.

 

McNabb rushed for 3,459 yards and 29 TDs. He averaged 5.6 yards a carry.

 

 

 

Just for comparison's sake......

 

 

Steve Young finished with 232 TDs, 107 INTs, 33, 124 Yards and a 96.8 QB Rating.

 

Young rushed for 4,239 yards, 43 TDs and 5.9 yards a carry.

I don't think Young had as many years as a starter.

BTW, pick in the draft.

  • Author
I don't think Young had as many years as a starter.

 

 

Maybe not but stats are key and always a part of the decision. McNabb was unquestionably one of the top 3 QBs in the league when in his prime. You could count on the Eagles making a run to the NFC Championship game when he was at the helm and he did it with considerably less talent around him than many other HoF QBs with lesser stats.

Maybe not but stats are key and always a part of the decision. McNabb was unquestionably one of the top 3 QBs in the league when in his prime. You could count on the Eagles making a run to the NFC Championship game when he was at the helm and he did it with considerably less talent around him than many other HoF QBs with lesser stats.

 

I agree McNabb was pretty solid. I think he should be in the HOF.

  • Author
HOF no debate even needed.

 

I didn't think so either until I saw a bunch of folks saying he wasn't on twitter.

As a lifelong Eagles fan (I was a season ticket holder until I moved to Northern KY in 1998), I'm torn on this. No question he was the best QB ever to play for the Eagles, and his numbers are excellent. He was the Jim Kelly of his era...played in lots of big games, consistent winner, great stats. And I would have said he's a no doubt HOFer for the first half of his career. But on the downside, he was never the best quarterback of his era (probably only top 5 at best), never won an MVP, and never really had any big moments----he really never had any signature big plays, or highlights, wasn't known for late game comebacks or heroics. He was simply just very good. Unfortunately, he never played with any even better than average receivers (except for the 1 year with T.O.). To me, he's just one of those guys who was really good, but never great. He's an Eagles Hall of Famer without question, but I don't think he's an NFL Hall of Famer.

As a lifelong Eagles fan (I was a season ticket holder until I moved to Northern KY in 1998)' date=' I'm torn on this. No question he was the best QB ever to play for the Eagles, and his numbers are excellent. He was the Jim Kelly of his era...played in lots of big games, consistent winner, great stats. And I would have said he's a no doubt HOFer for the first half of his career. But on the downside, he was never the best quarterback of his era (probably only top 5 at best), never won an MVP, and never really had any big moments----he really never had any signature big plays, or highlights, wasn't known for late game comebacks or heroics. He was simply just very good. Unfortunately, he never played with any even better than average receivers (except for the 1 year with T.O.). To me, he's just one of those guys who was really good, but never great. He's an Eagles Hall of Famer without question, but I don't think he's an NFL Hall of Famer.[/quote']

 

So if he never played with any better than average receivers except for TO for 1 year then that must make his numbers even better, no?

Maybe not but stats are key and always a part of the decision. McNabb was unquestionably one of the top 3 QBs in the league when in his prime. You could count on the Eagles making a run to the NFC Championship game when he was at the helm and he did it with considerably less talent around him than many other HoF QBs with lesser stats.

 

I love Mcnabb....but top three?? I'm not so sure. Wasn't better than Brady, Manning, Warner, or Brees. Never won an MVP or Super Bowl. Looking at past QB's not in the Hall of Fame...Was he better than Phil Simms, Ken Anderson, Joe Theismann, Kenny Stabler?? All guys with similar or better numbers.

So if he never played with any better than average receivers except for TO for 1 year then that must make his numbers even better, no?

 

Yes it is something to consider. But remember, he played his whole career in a pass happy system. And while he had very good numbers, he was never a terribly accurate QB (59% for his career). And for comparison sake, take a look a Jeff Garcia's numbers. Almost a carbon copy of Mcnabb's (except Garcia was a starter for a few less years). And in 2006, when Garcia took over for an injured Mcnabb, he put up a better completion percentage and had a better winning percentage, and scored more pts in his six starts with the same pedestrian receivers that Mcnabb had in 10 starts.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.