March 24, 201313 yr And Pitt just gave Dixon a lifetime contract... whee!:bunny: Barkley's comments on that were hilarious. :lol2:
March 24, 201313 yr Still nobody has given an example of a team who made the field that shouldn't have. Shocker.
March 24, 201313 yr I think a lot of people confuse being the best conference with being the most dominant. Sure, outside of UConn the Big East hasn't done much in the way of championships the last 15 years. In fact, over the last 15 seasons the Big East is tied with the putrid SEC with 4 championships. The ACC is first with 5. However, the Big East consistantly produced more quality teams each season. However, the Big East was not nearly as dominant as say, the SEC in football. They didn't always have the best team. It doesn't mean they weren't the best conference. They were. I never was a Big East fan but I will miss the conference.
March 24, 201313 yr Earning a bid and avoiding being one of the first 32 teams bounced are mutually exclusive. Some can't seem to grasp that... Like I said I don't know who I'd out ahead of UC in their bid. With that said.... I would've put money on the other team in the NIT.
March 24, 201313 yr I reject your question's premise. Cincinnati, playing a different schedule, would have an entirely different resume. If they played a worse schedule and had the same number of loses, chances are they would have some bad loses and fewer decent wins. What you want is for me to say that Cincinnati wouldn't have made the tournament in a lesser conference, but you're rigging the game by saddling them with loses I don't think they would take playing Memphis' schedule plus a home-and-home with Louisville. Soooo that still doesn't answer my question. I don't their record would've been much better. I'm not at all a UC hater, but the big east.... FYI I pulled for UC
March 24, 201313 yr Uh, no. The Whatever League will be a step down, but it won't be that bad. Conference USA was a one-bid league. Louisville, UConn (who clearly would have been in the tournament if they had been eligible,) Cincy, Temple, and Memphis are all tournament teams. Uh, yeah. Regardless of the make up of the conference, they will be playing the same schedule next season.
March 24, 201313 yr Uh, yeah. Regardless of the make up of the conference, they will be playing the same schedule next season. ? To be clear, my original post that you quoted meant Memphis' schedule this year plus a Louisville home and home, as that was the hypothetical scenario, while Memphis' schedule next year will clearly be a tougher conference slate than Memphis' this year.
March 25, 201313 yr ? To be clear, my original post that you quoted meant Memphis' schedule this year plus a Louisville home and home, as that was the hypothetical scenario, while Memphis' schedule next year will clearly be a tougher conference slate than Memphis' this year. And I only commented on the part of the post I highlighted. So I was not arguing any of that, just pointing out the obvious. My bad. Should have only quoted the highlighted part and left out the rest.
March 25, 201313 yr Don't understand the thread, doesn't the Big East have three of the final 16 teams? I don't think that's too shabby.
March 25, 201313 yr ^ It was started after the first two days, when the Big East lost 5 of its 8 entrants before things really got going. But then the three teams that made the round of 32 went on to the Sweet 16 and things make a little more sense. Other than Georgetown crapping out as usual, the top leagues this year -- the B1G and Big East -- sent all their top teams into the Sweet 16. I'm not among those who think tournament play is a very useful measure of a team's ability, much less a conference's ability. It's all about matchups. Can we all agree at this point that Florida Gulf Coast might just have been terribly underseeded? Georgetown still should have beaten them given the talent they have, but it was closer than seeding indicated and not a good matchup for Georgetown given the way they play. Sometimes you're a good team that hits a tough matchup. I think back to Louisville playing Morehead in 2011. No doubt Louisville had more talent top to bottom but Louisville didn't have very solid play down low and 13-seeded Morehead had a future NBA player on the roster. Bad matchup for the Cardinals.
March 25, 201313 yr Speaking of conferences, Charles Barkley was way off target with his "big 10 is overrated" comments. They've got 4 teams in the Sweet 16, and Illinois was ever so close to making it 5.
March 25, 201313 yr Speaking of conferences, Charles Barkley was way off target with his "big 10 is overrated" comments. They've got 4 teams in the Sweet 16, and Illinois was ever so close to making it 5. Temple and Iowa State were ever so close to making it two
March 25, 201313 yr ^ It was started after the first two days, when the Big East lost 5 of its 8 entrants before things really got going. But then the three teams that made the round of 32 went on to the Sweet 16 and things make a little more sense. Other than Georgetown crapping out as usual, the top leagues this year -- the B1G and Big East -- sent all their top teams into the Sweet 16. I'm not among those who think tournament play is a very useful measure of a team's ability, much less a conference's ability. It's all about matchups. Can we all agree at this point that Florida Gulf Coast might just have been terribly underseeded? Georgetown still should have beaten them given the talent they have, but it was closer than seeding indicated and not a good matchup for Georgetown given the way they play. Sometimes you're a good team that hits a tough matchup. I think back to Louisville playing Morehead in 2011. No doubt Louisville had more talent top to bottom but Louisville didn't have very solid play down low and 13-seeded Morehead had a future NBA player on the roster. Bad matchup for the Cardinals. For the most part, I agree with this. Where I might disagree is with Georgetown. While FGCU may have been underseeded, this isn't their first trip around the NCAA Tourney early exit block--especially as a high seed. To me, that's either something with coaching and/or the pressure of trying to avoid yet another premature departure.
March 25, 201313 yr Georgetown may have given the Big East a bad rep this year. But its normal now for the Hoyas. After reaching the Final 4 in 2007 the Hoyas have been a bad early out since then. They have failed to get passed the 2nd round or 2nd game since. Despite being a 2 or 3 seed in 4 of the last 6 years. In 2009 they did not make the tournament and in 2011 they were a 6 seed but lost the first game. But they have not gotten past the 2nd game since their 2007 run.
March 25, 201313 yr Only one championship for the "greatest basketball ever" since those Conference USA teams came over. The Big East is crazy deep but typically poor in the tournament, especially for how we always hear about how great it is.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.