How far are you willing to travel

JMU31

For almost the last 2 years we have been traveling to Chicago for practice. We do not make all of them but we make our share. Today was the last or one of the last trips we will make. 660 miles round trip, so I ask the question what is an acceptable distance to travel for softball. I am guessing 660 is high for most but it has been a great time I know I have enjoyded the heck out of it and I can safely say I believe my daughter has as well.

It depends on where you wish to end up. Knowing the team your daughter plays for I would say the drive is more than worth it. When my daughter was 10 we drove about 45 minutes north of Columbus for practice once a week. Even when she broke a bone in her foot we still didn't miss a practice or a game. It was worth it for sure.

The answer is as far as both you and your child are willing to go. That simple.

Many people will tell you you're crazy. I disagree. Any and all time you get to spend with your child (and spending time with your little girl especially) is precious and limited. I can tell you that my friend Terry Barker had one of the best summers of his life in 2012 hitting the road all summer with his son Drew going to camps. He wouldn't trade it for anything.

I drive every wednesday 1 hour and 45 minutes one way for a 45 minute pitching lesson. I love every minute of it. We have shared lot of good conversations during the drive which we wouldn't get other wise. 1 hour 45 minutes for travel team practice.

I drive 1 hour and 30 minutes one way every saturday for my son's team practice not counting hitting lessons which is only 45 minutes, but at least it's at the same time as my daughters.

Lot of seat team but it's worth every penny

The answer is as far as both you and your child are willing to go. That simple.

Many people will tell you you're crazy. I disagree. Any and all time you get to spend with your child (and spending time with your little girl especially) is precious and limited. I can tell you that my friend Terry Barker had one of the best summers of his life in 2012 hitting the road all summer with his son Drew going to camps. He wouldn't trade it for anything.

Well it sure seems like it is paying off for your friend by hitting those camps.

Luckly my kid can't get enough of it and is willing to travel just about anywhere to play with her team and friends. I have to let her drive to Chicago once by her self but during the winter its just to much bc of the weather. Of course her new thing lately is wanting to take the Megabus, I have not broke down and let her yet.

Been driving 140 miles round trip for practice for about 6 years, well worth it. But the practice travel is nothing compared to game/tournament travel, as JMU31 can attest. Florida, Colorado, California, Texas, Moline IL, Kennesaw GA, Green Bay WI, Pittsburgh PA, etc... it's all WELL worth it. Been fun being able to spend that time with my family on these travels.

Been driving 140 miles round trip for practice for about 6 years, well worth it. But the practice travel is nothing compared to game/tournament travel, as JMU31 can attest. Florida, Colorado, California, Texas, Moline IL, Kennesaw GA, Green Bay WI, Pittsburgh PA, etc... it's all WELL worth it. Been fun being able to spend that time with my family on these travels.

Yeah I think Maddy had to fly 4 or 5 times last year and that's not counting one of the trips we drove that was 12 hours. Crazy but nothing better in my eyes.

I would argue that you can't look at it as being worth it only if a scholly results from it. It's time with your child. Maximize that.

I agree 100% I wouldn't change a thing we have done over the past 8 years even if I knew there would be no scholly involved. But it sure is nice when it does pay off.