Junior College Baseball?

snowman859

My son heard the other day that Tyler Mason from Ryle got offered a spot to play at USC-Sumter ( Juco School) in South Carolina. I was wondering the differences and opportunites between Juco, D-1,D-2, NAIA, etc., and what is the best way to possibly get my son seen by college coaches so he'll have the same opportunity?

Exposure to colleges, scouts etc is going to come from playing in a competitive summer team. From playing on those teams, and playing well; players are invited to showcases that are loaded with scouts.

Simply playing HS ball, for the most part, will not bring the exposure that most desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Academics are huge at all levels more so than Juco. Most of the players from this area are more on the DII, DIII and NAIA levels. There are very few players from this area that are even considered by DI colleges. You can probably count them on one hand.

1. The process should start by your Frosh year and no later than your Soph year in regards to finding showcases and college camps. You need to get your name out there.

2. As said in the previous comments, HS will not give you the exposure you would be looking for. You need to play on a competitive summer team that is going to put their teams in tournaments that scouts are going to show up and look at players. Organizations from the Kentucky that this is done on a consistent level are KY Colonels, Bluegrass, Freedom and At the Yard. This is not saying other teams from this area do not do this, but they might not be as well known for it. There obviously are organizations across the rivers that do the same as the NKY organizations.

My son has worked with a trainer that works with a number of high school, collegiate and professional baseball players. His take on JuCo is that there are a number of baseball players that play at that level rather than D1 because a professional scout may want to see another year of development from them before drafting them. If they sign D1 there is a 3 year commitment to college. Some players may go the JuCo route because they may not qualify academically for D1 programs. Assuming a JuCo player isn't as good as a D1 player would be a mistake.

the Summer teams listed above all are great teams to try out for as well as the Blue Wave who is playing in showcase tournaments every weekend this summer. That is the best way to get exposure. Last year we only played in 2 or 3 showcases and just from that few amount my son is getting around 3-5 emails a week from college coaches wanting to participate in their camps etc. Unfortunatley they usually take place during his football season, but it is a great way to get noticed and everyone who posted in this thread are right....get on a competitive summer ball team and the exposure will come.

My son has worked with a trainer that works with a number of high school, collegiate and professional baseball players. His take on JuCo is that there are a number of baseball players that play at that level rather than D1 because a professional scout may want to see another year of development from them before drafting them. If they sign D1 there is a 3 year commitment to college. Some players may go the JuCo route because they may not qualify academically for D1 programs. Assuming a JuCo player isn't as good as a D1 player would be a mistake.

How can D1 be a 3 year commitment? I'm not the most educated when it comes to how scholarships etc. work but I always thought that athletic scholarships are only a year to year basis. you can only sign for 1 year and then hope the scholarship is offered again each year etc. So if that is the case then why is D1 a 3 year commitment?

How can D1 be a 3 year commitment? I'm not the most educated when it comes to how scholarships etc. work but I always thought that athletic scholarships are only a year to year basis. you can only sign for 1 year and then hope the scholarship is offered again each year etc. So if that is the case then why is D1 a 3 year commitment?

As far as going to the MLB draft, D1 is a 3 year commitment. You can get drafted after each JUCO year but if you decide to go D1, then you stay 3 years before you can be in the MLB draft.

As far as the college coaches send e-mails for their camps. That is their big money maker and they will send them to anyone they can get an e-mail address for so don't get too caught up with your son getting an invite. I've always been told, unless your son wants to go to THAT school, then skip the college camps unless they can prove they will have several other colleges there to participate.

As far as going to the MLB draft, D1 is a 3 year commitment. You can get drafted after each JUCO year but if you decide to go D1, then you stay 3 years before you can be in the MLB draft.

As far as the college coaches send e-mails for their camps. That is their big money maker and they will send them to anyone they can get an e-mail address for so don't get too caught up with your son getting an invite. I've always been told, unless your son wants to go to THAT school, then skip the college camps unless they can prove they will have several other colleges there to participate.

I understand about the emails, what I was saying is playing on a summer ball team that plays a lot of showcase tourneys gets them noticed due to a lot of college scouts attend them.

I have a question about D1 and the 3 year commitment thing. What if you are a walk on? Just curious because I was wondering if you are paying tuition then why would you have to stay 3 years?

I understand about the emails, what I was saying is playing on a summer ball team that plays a lot of showcase tourneys gets them noticed due to a lot of college scouts attend them.

I have a question about D1 and the 3 year commitment thing. What if you are a walk on? Just curious because I was wondering if you are paying tuition then why would you have to stay 3 years?

Doesn't matter if you are a walk on or on scholly. Once you walk onto a 4 year college campus and officially enroll, you have to wait until after your junior year or until you turn 21 in order to be eligible for the MLB draft. Scholly's are pretty tough to come by, on average a little less than 12 per school, (very few of which are full rides) and a lot of those get yanked or diminished after your junior year (it happened to me and a few others my senior year at a D1 school) and given to incoming freshman because there is so little money in the sport (it doesn't generate any revenue at most schools). Most schools are pretty up front about this, so it's not a complete surprise when it happens.

It's a tough decision for the really great high school players. Anything can happen during those 3 years in college (especially if you're a pitcher). If you go school and end up not getting drafted you're likely on your own dime your senior year, although getting 3 years of some of your college. You could go to JUCO, but while the competition is good, it's not D1 level and not a guarantee to improve your draft standing.