Why No Serious Recruitment NKY Football - is it just me?

Mr. Sixer

I have a feeling that the very geography of this site lends itself to readers/posters overrating NKY's talent level. Like it or not, most posters on here (whether they will admit it or not) don't have a clue about football in Lex or Lou or Cincy other than what they read on this site. C-Boy78 is absolutely correct. Let's face it, while the brand of football is very good here in NKY, it's not really as significant as we like to think it is and build it up to be on the heavily NKY biased site.

Lots of truth to this.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I'm well versed in the numbers and stats part of the recruiting game, have sons playing at the D1 level now so it's not my first rodeo. I think everyone is missing my point. If you check the Enquirer from today you will see that Michigan State and Tennessee were at high schools in Cincinnati today. My point is that if these schools raid the Cincy area why do they not spend 15 extra mins to come across the river just to see. Of course you have the studs like Barker, Elliott, Nichols and I guess you could include Collinsworth in that discussion of recent past but I refuse to believe that out of all the athletes in this area that none of them warrant a look.

I am not talking about all these kids getting D1 offer by top programs but having played D1 ball myself you can't tell me that the play of most NKY teams is that far away from Southern Ohio. I rarely read lower level D1, FCS, or DII schools coming to this area like that of the Cincy area, yes Ohio has great HS football. Agreed there are alot that players that do not want to continue playing beyond HS but I personally, and I mean absolutely no disrespect here what so ever, refuse to believe that the talent level for NKY is traditionally only at the TMC, MSJ, Lindsey Wilson, and Georgetown level. All those programs are respected and good but I just think there are some very good players that warrant a look. Maybe I'm alone here or maybe some of those players are getting those looks and it's just not public but I just think there are some kids here that can "play" (i.e. Fogle, Nussbaum, Bir, and Durham-who I understand is going to take a walk-on opportunity I believe at UC but you're telling me that player doesn't deserve a ride somewhere especially at the TE position?)

I follow the Enquirer daily and see what's going on just across the river and has me scratching my head sometimes. Anyway, guess it is what it is but it's just my observation right, wrong or indifferent.

I have to disagree with your belief that the talent level in Northern KY is close to that of Cincinnati. Aside from Highlands, the traditional NKY powers are nowhere close to being able to consistently compete with the Cincy powers. Even so, it still seems like there a few nice D1 prospects every year, some of which are very highly rated. Elliot, Pike, Towles and Barker this year immediately come to mind. While I agree, there are a lot of kids that can play, many seem to be missing something, either the ideal size or height, or a step or two slow. Big time football is tough...coaches get paid very, very well, and with so few scholly's available, there isn't a lot of room to take risks with tweeners. I'd love to see more kids get chances, too, but it is what it is.

I have a feeling that the very geography of this site lends itself to readers/posters overrating NKY's talent level. Like it or not, most posters on here (whether they will admit it or not) don't have a clue about football in Lex or Lou or Cincy other than what they read on this site. C-Boy78 is absolutely correct. Let's face it, while the brand of football is very good here in NKY, it's not really as significant as we like to think it is and build it up to be on the heavily NKY biased site.

What NKY has is a lot of good coaches and a lot of good football players. What we lack are the athletes that grow everywhere in Florida. We have teams with disciplined players, who play the assignments that their coaches give them very well. We don't have many kids that will just WOW you. We have good to great teams, but not exceptional individual talent. That is why guys like Alexander, Smith and Lorenzen are so well remembered up here. Those type of players appear every year in Dade County.

Another thing working against NKY is not the players themselves but who they play against on a weekly basis. The schools in Cincy and Louisville consistently play very difficult schedules and a lot of out of town schools. "WOWING" in that environment will give you more points with a recruiter than in an environment when you might play equals maybe twice a season and "cupcakes" the rest of the time.

I'll give several posters the benefit of the doubt re. their knowledge of football outside NKY; otherwise your post is spot on.

I hear Stoops is at Highlands today looking at 3 kids in the 2014 class. As others have already pointed out, very few kids go on to play at the next level and NKY usually only has 1 or 2 kids a year that are capable or meet the size metrics to play at the Division 1 level.

Which 3?

Seems like a stretch for all 3 unless True is interested in becoming an OT.

I'd keep an eye on Hope to see if preferred walk-on would interest him.

Maybe rather than keep an eye on Hope you look at what he has done already. Did you happen to miss the five sacks in the state final. Complete mismatch vs CovCath. LexCath blockers trying to tackle him to keep him off the QB. Watch the Scott Co game where he repeatedly ran plays down from the back side as they tried to run away from his side.

Speed. Effort. Speed. Kid is a D 1player.

Maybe rather than keep an eye on Hope you look at what he has done already. Did you happen to miss the five sacks in the state final. Complete mismatch vs CovCath. LexCath blockers trying to tackle him to keep him off the QB. Watch the Scott Co game where he repeatedly ran plays down from the back side as they tried to run away from his side.

Speed. Effort. Speed. Kid is a D 1player.

It certainly wasn't a shot at the kid. It's just tough to get a D1 scholly to the SEC as a DL or LB.

Hell, I hope he does so well UK doesn't have a choice.