Sacred Heart 63 Newport Catholic 41

Can't say reload because Raven provided a lot of untangibles for this team, especially in the Nike tournament of Champions wins. I'd say its others picking up some of the scoring and more defensive intensity due to the lack of additional offense.

In tonight's win, SHA was able to outrebound and push the tempo to score. They shot 60% for the game, which were mainly layups in transition and held Kierman to 4 pts.

Wow! Are they just in a reserves-step-up-and-reload mode or what? SHA has been pretty steady thus far with all their players, but this appears to be a pretty big accomplishment under the circumstances.

This doesnt really surprise me as one would expect this type of depth at a school the size of SHA.

SHA has the luxury of being athletically deep vs NewCath who has what maybe 100 girls in the who school to choose from.

Impressive feat though for a reserve to step up and fill in.

BTW, thanks for the larger fonts...

This was the 1st girls game I have been to since the Brossart game, Lord have mercy! :eek: Some would say less than 24 hours after playing a very physical game and beating a "bigtime" rival in Highlands this was a "trap" game, I say BULL! Could they have been tired??? Maybe, I think the normal 7:30 start would have been a help. However they ran the floor with no problem they just had an awful time putting the ball in the basket from extremely close range, Breds had plenty of good looks at the basket. If they missed 10 lay-ups they missed 15 and they turned the ball over way too many times, which led to very easy buckets at the other end for Sacred Heart. The Ruffin girl for SH is the real deal, for a girl with her size she is a load to handle and can get up and down the floor. It was all JV shortly into the 4th. IMHO, SH is nowhere near 22 points better than the Breds, just a bad time to play the way they did.

Props tonight to Mikayla Seibert, absolutely loved the hustle she displayed tonight. Played hard on both sides of the floor and the 8pts. only tell half the story. :notworthy:

NewCath JV won 29-22, Sarah Neace nice job of "raining" some clutch 3's.

Sacred Heart...... 20-16 -12-15 63

Newport Catholic 04-10 -15-12 41

Sacred Heart -- Ruffin 24, Long 6, Johnson 4, Samsel 9, Matula 11, Stough 3, Randal 2, Gahafer 2, Meiners 2.

Newport Catholic -- Mayes 8, Lewis 8, Kiernan 4, Neace 5, Ware 3, Siebert 8, Lankheit 5.

Just checked it for my own curiosity.

SHA - 816 females (all female school)

NCC - 420 total female and male.

So in all reality the reserves would be superstars on most teams. That is one really big pond in Louisville, Just sayin...

Actually 393 this year.

This was the 1st girls game I have been to since the Brossart game, Lord have mercy! :eek: Some would say less than 24 hours after playing a very physical game and beating a "bigtime" rival in Highlands this was a "trap" game, I say BULL! Could they have been tired??? Maybe, I think the normal 7:30 start would have been a help. However they ran the floor with no problem they just had an awful time putting the ball in the basket from extremely close range, Breds had plenty of good looks at the basket. If they missed 10 lay-ups they missed 15 and they turned the ball over way too many times, which led to very easy buckets at the other end for Sacred Heart. The Ruffin girl for SH is the real deal, for a girl with her size she is a load to handle and can get up and down the floor. It was all JV shortly into the 4th. IMHO, SH is nowhere near 22 points better than the Breds, just a bad time to play the way they did.

Props tonight to Mikayla Seibert, absolutely loved the hustle she displayed tonight. Played hard on both sides of the floor and the 8pts. only tell half the story. :notworthy:

NewCath JV won 29-22, Sarah Neace nice job of "raining" some clutch 3's.

Sacred Heart...... 20-16 -12-15 63

Newport Catholic 04-10 -15-12 41

Sacred Heart -- Ruffin 24, Long 6, Johnson 4, Samsel 9, Matula 11, Stough 3, Randal 2, Gahafer 2, Meiners 2.

Newport Catholic -- Mayes 8, Lewis 8, Kiernan 4, Neace 5, Ware 3, Siebert 8, Lankheit 5.

The wrong numbers were sent in, Seibert had 11, Lankheit 4, Lewis 6. I know Seibert had to have more than 8.

Regardless, if the Breds want to return to the State tournament, then the SHA game was a good 'test' since quarterfinals / semis / finals are separated by less than 24 hours.

I agree.

It wasn't that the effort wasn't there last night, just the execution needed a fine tuning. Shots just wouldn't fall, period.

Edited by Lawnboy13

At least one didn't turn into a Highlands thread about the coach .

George has a very talented bunch, but they are young. Hopefully the bench players see more action as the season wears on. This will give them experience and confidence and allow the starts a break. There is talent there, it just needs time. By the end of the regular season I think they will be more than ready.

I think many teams underestimated Sacred Heart this year. They play tough defense utilizing their speed and quickness, which also surprises most teams.

Looking at the roster you see that they are a relatively young team, so they should be tough next year as well.