Question for you stat guys

I officiated for several years. The rules and administration of them I understand. But I got in a discussion last night with a friend who stats a local high school team for their girls team and he made a comment that I don't know if I understand his answer or not. My question is this: What constitutes a shot attempt when you are fouled and the shot doesn't go and you go to the line? Obviously if you get fouled and complete the basket it's a shot attempt and a made basket. But what if you are grabbed, borderline intentionally, and you don't even get a shot up towards the glass? Is that a shot attempt? What about ones that clearly should have been made, but don't go and you go to the line? Are those too shot attempts? He said this, which is what I find suspicious; when a player gets fouled on the shot, if it doesn't fall, it's not a shot attempt. The only time you count it as a shot attempt is when it goes and they get the and 1.

That doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone help?

It fouled in during the shot it is an attempt and made bucket if the ball goes in. If the ball does not go in, it is not an attempt. Basically the shooter gets the benefit of the doubt and does not get punished if she is fouled.

It fouled in during the shot it is an attempt and made bucket if the ball goes in. If the ball does not go in, it is not an attempt. Basically the shooter gets the benefit of the doubt and does not get punished if she is fouled.

Agreed! Why punish the shooter, when they were hindered in their attempt in shooting a basket!

And think about this if you would! Does a walk count against a batter in baseball? I mean if you can't hit the ball because the pitcher doesn't throw it close to the plate to hit it, should you be penalized for it?

I officiated for several years. The rules and administration of them I understand. But I got in a discussion last night with a friend who stats a local high school team for their girls team and he made a comment that I don't know if I understand his answer or not. My question is this: What constitutes a shot attempt when you are fouled and the shot doesn't go and you go to the line? Obviously if you get fouled and complete the basket it's a shot attempt and a made basket. But what if you are grabbed, borderline intentionally, and you don't even get a shot up towards the glass? Is that a shot attempt? What about ones that clearly should have been made, but don't go and you go to the line? Are those too shot attempts? He said this, which is what I find suspicious; when a player gets fouled on the shot, if it doesn't fall, it's not a shot attempt. The only time you count it as a shot attempt is when it goes and they get the and 1.

That doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone help?

Your friend is correct.