Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rick Majerus has died

Featured Replies

Legendary coach passed away today. He stepped away from St. Louis in 2012 for health issues.

Hate to hear that. I always liked the big guy. I can't help but think that all those beatings at the hands of UK in the Tourney might have taken some years off...Seemed like a good guy, great sense of humor.

I didn't even realize that he was in bad shape. Hate hearing this. Prayers for his family.

Always respected him. Prayers to his family and friends.

Sad news. He always seemed like a nice fellow. I like his commentary when they had him on for the tournaments.

He was a character. Used to enjoy his speaking at clinics here in the Cincinnati area when he coached at Ball State (a few years ago).

Always had great stories and jokes to tell.

Was passionate about the game, and lived in a hotel room all his life - I can relate - lol!!!!

 

Sorry to hear that he has passed.

He was head coach at Marquette when I went there. I followed his career ever since. Even when he coached against Kentucky, I kinda always pulled for him. He was just a real likable guy.

 

RIP, Coach.

He was head coach at Marquette when I went there. I followed his career ever since. Even when he coached against Kentucky, I kinda always pulled for him. He was just a real likable guy.

 

RIP, Coach.

 

 

I didn't realize he was ever head coach there. I knew he was an assistant under Al and I think his successor. I missed that part in his career.

 

Rick was a "quote" machine. One of my all-time favs of his was in '96 when the Utes were getting ready to play the Cats he said: "They have 8 McDonald's All-Americans on that team. Most of my kids didn't even have a McDonalds in their town."

RIP, Coach.

I met him at the airport after UK beat them in the NCAA finals. He was very polite and was still heart sick over the loss which was about two weeks prior. He said to me "I wish I just had one real true athlete on this team and I think we could have pulled it off". I think he had some athletes but not the number and quality that the UK's and others had. A great game coach as well. RIP!!

Not many know this but Majerus was the primary target for the Cincinnati job back in 1989 when he was at Ball State. He wanted to take a couple of days to think it over and the UC AD at the time decided not to wait any longer and hired Bob Huggins. A whole lot of college basketball history was changed with that decision...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.